Mister Rogers Neighborhood

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:35 am
I know I am not the only one who remembers his show over the past 25+ years.
I loved it. I looked forward to it every morning as a child.
Of course, sadly , he died not but 2 years ago.
I have been reading up on his work on TV and on other child related accomplishements he had in his life.
Even more now, I respect that man.

I want Bean to be able to watch his shows. I KNOW they HAVE to be on tape/cd SOME-WHERE.. but I have not found any?
Amazon has a few but not much.

Does anyone know if there is a collection of his tvshows for sale somewhere? Used would be perfect, but I am thinking, this isnt going to be possible yet as it seems to me, his shows are just NOW becoming available for sale..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:51 am
I don't have any suggestions, but your bringing up Mr. Rogers really touched something deep in me, that I'd like to get off my chest.....

Today I can look at Mr. R. and appreciate what a kind, loving person he was.
Unfortunately, I had to wait all these years and grow so much to see any of this.

In my day, we had 7 channels to watch, Mr. Rogers was on channel 13. This was pre-Sesame Street days.

I was a very mistrustful child (that's another story) and I always felt Mr. Rogers was just being nice so he could trick you.

I was so wrong, I learned much later that his kindness was real. It's like I feel I owe him an apology, so if you don't mind shewolf, I'd like to do it here....

I'm sorry Mr. Rogers for not trusting you. I hope other kids learned from you, and I hope your legacy will live on with other little kids like Bean.

You know, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood after all.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:58 am
I absolutly agree and am in the same position.

As a young adult ( 18-24, maybe 25) I thought of him as some sort of creepy older man who was just satisfying his creepy need to be close to kids.

Now that I have a child and I am learning about what is good and appropriate viewing for her, he is number one.

He has ALWAYS, even in the 60's when he started, had blacks, asians, hispanics.. every color of the rainbow of people on his show.
people from all over the world were presented in the same light, never frowned on, never judged and he always showed they had something to offer as well.
he never EVER in any way, looked down on or belittled a thing.
Even things as simple as feeling his fish , was presented as an adventure.

It was hard for me as a person to just accept that there were truly genuine people in this world who were truly and simply just happy and loving.
Im glad he found his way on the airways and i too feel the way you do.
I wish I could apologize for the horrid thoughts I have had about that man.
I have some articles about him and his accomplishments I should post here..

he was amazing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:58 am
I believe it airs daily on KLRU. 9:30 a.m.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:04 am
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/R/htmlR/rogersfred/rogersfredIMAGE/rogersfred.jpg

Quote:
FRED MCFEELY ROGERS

U.S. Chilren's Television Host/Producer

Fred McFeely Rogers, better known to millions of American children as Mr. Rogers, is the creator and executive producer of the longest-running children's program on public television, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. While commercial television most often offers children animated cartoons and many educational programs employ the slick, fast-paced techniques of commercial television, Rogers' approach is as unique as his content. He simply talks with his young viewers. Although his program provides a great deal of information, the focus is not upon teaching specific facts or skills but upon acknowledging the uniqueness of each child and affirming his or her importance.

Rogers did not originally plan to work in children's television. Rather, he studied music composition at Rollins College in Florida, receiving a bachelors degree in 1951. He happened to see a children's television program and felt it was so abysmal that he wanted to offer something better. While he worked in television, however, he also pursued his dream of entering the ministry, continuing his education at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. In 1962 Rogers received the Bachelor of Divinity degree and was ordained by the United Presbyterian Church with the charge to work with children and their families through the mass media.

Rogers began his television career at NBC but joined the founding staff of America's first community-supported television station, WQED in Pittsburgh, as a program director in 1953. His priority was to schedule a children's program; however, when no one came forward to produce it, Rogers assumed the task and in April 1954, launched The Children's Corner. He collaborated with on-screen hostess Josie Carey on both the scripts and music to produce a show that received immediate acclaim, winning the 1955 Sylvania Award for the best locally produced children's program in the country. Rogers and Carey also created a separate show with similar material for NBC network distribution on Saturday mornings. With only a meager budget their public television show was not a slick production, but Rogers did not view this as a detriment. He wanted children to think that they could make their own puppets, no matter how simple, and create their own fantasies. The important element was to create the friendly, warm atmosphere in the interactions of Josie and the puppets (many of whom are still a part of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood), which has become the hallmark of the program.

In 1963, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in Toronto provided Rogers another opportunity to pursue his ministerial charge through a fifteen-minute daily program called Misterogers. This was his first opportunity to develop his on-camera style, gentle, affirming, and conversational. The style is grounded in Rogers' view of himself as an adult who takes time to give children his undivided attention rather than as an entertainer.

Rogers returned to Pittsburgh in 1964, acquired the rights to the CBC programs, and lengthened them to thirty minutes for distribution by the Eastern Educational Network. When production funds ran out in 1967 and stations began announcing the cancellation of the show, an outpouring of public response spurred the search for new funding. As a result of support by the Sears, Roebuck Foundation and National Educational Television, a new series entitled Misterogers' Neighborhood began production for national distribution. Currently there are 700 episodes in the library, and since 1979 Rogers has produced a few new segments each year, adding freshness and immediacy to the series.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is unique because it provides a warmth and intimacy seldom found in mass media productions. The show is designed to approximate a visit between friends and is meticulously planned in consultation with psychologists at the Arsenal Family and Children's Center, under the direction of Margaret B. McFarland until her death in 1988. The visit begins with a model trolley which travels through a make-believe town to Rogers' home. He enters, singing "Won't you Be My Neighbor?", an invitation for the viewer to feel as close to him as to an actual neighbor. He also creates a bond with his audience by speaking directly to the camera, always in an inclusive manner about things of interest to his viewers. As he speaks, he changes from his sport coat to his trademark cardigan sweater and from street shoes to tennis shoes to further create a relaxed, intimate atmosphere.

The pacing of the program also approximates that of an in-depth conversation between friends. Rogers speaks slowly, allowing time for children to think about what he has said and to respond at home. And psychologists studying the show verify that children do respond. He also takes time to examine objects around him or to do simple chores such as feed his fish. Although he invites other "neighbors," such as pianist Van Cliburn, to share their knowledge, the warm rapport also allows him to tackle personal subjects, such as fears of the dark or the arrival of a new baby.

Recognizing the importance of play as a creative means of working through childhood problems, he also invites children into the Neighborhood of Make Believe. Because Rogers wants children to clearly separate fantasy from reality this adjacent neighborhood can only be reached via a trolley through a tunnel. The Neighborhood of Make Believe is populated by a number of puppets who are kindly and respectful but not perfect. King Friday XIII, for example, is kind but also somewhat pompous and authoritarian.

Human characters also inhabit this neighborhood and engage the puppets on an equal level. Since Rogers is the puppeteer and voice for most of the puppets, it is difficult for him to interact in this segment. This movement away from "center stage," however, is a conscious choice. His lack of visible participation underscores the separation between the reality he creates in his "home" and these moments of fantasy. The trolley then takes the children back to Rogers' home, and the visit ends as he changes back into his street clothes and leaves the house, inviting the children back at a later date.

In 1971, Rogers formed Family Communications, Inc., a non-profit corporation of which he is president, to produce Mister Rogers Neighborhood and other audio-visual, educational materials. Many of these productions, such as the prime time series Mister Rogers Talks with Parents (1983) and his books Mister Rogers Talks with Parents (1983) and How Families Grow (1988), are guides for parents. He has also recorded six albums of children's songs. However, these activities are viewed as educational endeavors rather than profit-generating enterprises, and most of the funding for his productions still comes from grants.

Mr. Rogers has succeeded in providing something different for children on television and in acknowledgment of his accomplishments has received two Peabody awards, a first for non-commercial television. Rather than loud, fast-paced animation or entertaining education, he presents a caring adult who visits with children, affirming their distinction and value, understanding their hopes and fears

0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:18 am
Mr Rogers......I really liked him.

Amazon
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:48 am
yeah, i have seen that amazon selection.
What I am hoping to find is an entire season, a collection.. or something like that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:45 am
I used his "boys are fancy on the outside and girls are fancy on the inside" to explain things to Mo about why girl's and boys bodie's are different.

I still think it is the most age appropriate explaination that I've come across.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:23 pm
Hey, I like it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
Quote:
"I have really never considered myself a TV star. I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit."
Fred Rogers
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
wow.. where did he say that?
that is a PERFECT explination..
sheesh.. this man is really good!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Quote:
"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.' Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."
Fred Rogers
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:29 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
wow.. where did he say that?
that is a PERFECT explination..
sheesh.. this man is really good!

here you go girl links
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:32 pm
Quote:
"Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood."
Fred Rogers

Quote:
Propel, propel, propel your craft softly down liquid solution. Ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, ecstatically, existence is simply illusion."
Fred Rogers

Quote:
At the center of the Universe is a loving heart that continues to beat and that wants the best for every person. Anything that we can do to help foster the intellect and spirit and emotional growth of our fellow human beings, that is our job. Those of us who have this particular vision must continue against all odds. Life is for service. Fred Rogers
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
Code:He was extremely successful because he was so focused. He was not distracted by the world, the media or the latest trend. His focus was clearly for one thing - the betterment of young children. Fred Rogers had a way of encouraging children while still respecting them. Fred knew what was most important in life, and now we realize how important he was to all of us.

Fred was an only child. Through playing and pretending, he would play with puppets to deal with his own feelings and struggles. His grandfather, Mr. McFeely had a huge impact on his life. He told little Freddy that he liked him exactly the way he was. And Fred has spent more than thirty years, telling all of us how special we are.

As an ordained minister, Fred Rogers knew the promise of Matthew 18:5. When Jesus said "Â…whoever welcomes a little child in my name, welcomes me." Fred Rogers lived that promise in his life every day. If you have ever watched his program, you realize how profound his timeless teachings truly are. No matter what your age, we all need to hear thatÂ… "It's you I like. It's not the things you wear. It's not the way you do your hair, but it's you I like. The way you are right now."
Phillip Chapman, Muppet Central
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:53 pm
Where did he say the thing about boys being fancy outside, girls fancy on the inside, shewolf?

It was on one of his shows about how boy's and girl's have different kinds of bodies for different reasons. There was even a little song called, I think "Everybodys Fancy" or something like that.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:57 pm
Awww I miss Mr. Rogers, I loved that show when I was little
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:58 pm
I'm really really glad the guy didn't have a dark past - with some of the crazy things you hear these days, this guy Fred was the real deal. As history seems to be panning out in his favor - true role model.
0 Replies