Vegans Guilty on all counts for malnourishing baby...

anastasia

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 11:33 am
people are a scary animal ...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 11:41 am
I know a few vegans. I have learned to identify them, it's easy, really, as their skin color is off. They turn kind of yellow. That's not true of vegetarians as they still eat animal fat and protein.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:01 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I know a few vegans. I have learned to identify them, it's easy, really, as their skin color is off. They turn kind of yellow.

That's what my father says about vegetarians. Swears he can see it from their skin colour. Grey-ish, he says. <shrugs>

I knew one vegan girl, seemed healthy enough, so in principle I'm with CodeBorg on this one. But Phoenix may well be right about it being different for children, I can see that ...

Worse than veganism is superstition, paranoia and fundamentalism, and from what the mother said about the hospitals etc I guess it was a mix of all of that here ...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:04 pm
Not to mention all the people who try a million and one crazy diets -- the Grapefruit Diet, the Beverly Hills Diet, This Diet, That Diet!

No better way to screw up your system than to think about it a hundred times a day, and keep yanking it back and forth with this idea or that.

MOST people have tried some wacky things based on rumor and hearsay. But vegetarian, omnivore, or patriot, it doesn't matter ... if you push any idea too hard, it'll get twisted.
0 Replies

ParanoidAndroid

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 05:11 pm
Vegan Here
Do I think these parents are guilty? Yes.
Do I think them being vegans have anything to do with it? NO.
The article I read about this stated that the cupboards in the couple's apartment were bare. Perhaps they were in a poor financial situation and didn't have enough money to buy food, and therefore the mother couldn't produce milk for the child.
Whatever the case, they needed to seek assistance by any means necessary and they didn't.
How many times do you hear cases of child neglect/abuse? Too often. This is the only time I can recall "VEGAN" being thrown into the headline of a child abuse case. Why don't they throw "meat eater" into the headlines of every other case of child malnurishment?

Vegan women who monitor their diet correctly have babies that are just as healthy as meat eating women.

PS- I am vegan and as healthy as can be. People like to assume that we are a bunch of skinny, pale, tree-hugging hippies which is hardly the case.
Being vegan is better for the environment and the body. Vegans are 40% less likely to get cancer and only 2% of vegans are obese.
0 Replies

Carolyn D

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:41 am
Vegan parents are nut jobs
This shows the anti vegan bias that is in the news these days, I do believe much of the vegan bashing we see in the news has nothing to do with the reality of following a vegan diet. Who cares if these parents were vegan? They were just bad parents, crazy, starving their child. That has nothing to do with veganism.

There is so much anti vegan propaganda that seems to be circulating these days. It makes me wonder how much of it is news media simply catering to what will sell, or if there are more behind the scenes machinations by PR firms working for the meat industry, influencing our thinking in subtle ways.

It is one thing to eat animals, and another to eat animals raised in factory farms. The former is understandable, given human history, though still in the end not necessary to survive. The latter cannot be justified. Maybe factory farming results in cheaper meat and eggs, etc., but forced child labor in sweatshops results in cheaper goods, and that is not a good enough reason to support it.

I don't try to reform or proselytize, but if someone asks or makes a comment I disagree with I will argue the merits of veganism. I am certainly not in your face or self righteous.

Whoever said that vegans are sickly looking is just plain wrong. I am much thinner than most of my meat lovin' family and aquaintances. I have a great complexion and look 10 years younger than my age.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:50 am
Tommyrot.

The child was malnourished because she was not getting fats and animal proteins in her diet. Even simple breast-feeding would have made her a far healthier baby.

This child was malnourished specifically because her crack-pot vegan parents insisted upon a vegan diet without regard to the child's nutritional needs.

You have a serious paranoia problem if you think that there is some kind of media conspiracy to bash vegans.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:42 am
Re: Vegan Here
ParanoidAndroid wrote:
Why don't they throw "meat eater" into the headlines of every other case of child malnurishment?

Vegan women who monitor their diet correctly have babies that are just as healthy as meat eating women.

PS- I am vegan and as healthy as can be. People like to assume that we are a bunch of skinny, pale, tree-hugging hippies which is hardly the case.
Being vegan is better for the environment and the body. Vegans are 40% less likely to get cancer and only 2% of vegans are obese.

They don't throw "meat-eater" into the headlines because the addition of meat to a diet could not possibly result in malnutrition. That was just a silly question altogether.

How exactly does being vegan help the environment?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:01 am
When I saw this thread, I thought it was about this case. In general, I'm quite sympathetic to parents who make mistakes that harm their children. Call it what you will, but it's really hard to know what's best for a baby/child. There is so much advice, a lot of it conflicting, and then there are your instincts, which you maybe should or should not trust. And when you see a child every day, it's possible not to realize just how bad a shape they are actually in.

Then there was the case of a woman who was found guilty for starving her son to death even though she was breastfeeding him. Apparently there was a problem with her milk supply that she didn't understand.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:52 pm
I think many commercial baby formulae are based on Soy milk. If these parents deserve 25 years in prison then what punishment do parents get who start their children on a lifetime of eating meat loaded with saturated fat virtually insuring eventual heart disease or cancer.

Here's the latest study linking breast cancer to meat eating. Webpage Title
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 06:50 am
FreeDuck wrote:

Then there was the case of a woman who was found guilty for starving her son to death even though she was breastfeeding him. Apparently there was a problem with her milk supply that she didn't understand.

Did she have the child weighed? Our baby is 6 weeks old and has been weighed 8 times already. Do Americans and Canadians have any services for the parents of newborns? We had 3 visits from the community midwives program and 3 visits from the early childhood nurse. All in our own home and all free. I know that Canada has free health care. Am I to assume that only American children who's family can pay for the service can get their child weighed? Is the American health system really that bad? Either that or these parents are so negligent that they should be sterilised so they can't pass their genes on.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:10 am
Well call me crazy but....as a Mom I knew what my child was suppose to be doing when. I knew when they weren't eating well...I knew when they didn't have enough BM's and were constipated...trust me - these parents sound more like child abusers than parents who were looking to make their child healthy by feeding it a strictly Vegan diet. I know they knew that child should be sitting up and at least CRAWLING by 15 months. And I can't imagine the most finatical Vegan parent NOT giving the child what it needs to develop properly if told you are starving this child - if they love their child.

I personally think they didn't take the child to the Dr. at all. You can walk into any E.R. with a child like that and get it weighed whether you have insurance or not. But if you do and they think there is foul play you can bet they will be detained until a Social Worker gets there and the Police. If they were truly trying to make their child HEALTHY by feeding it a Vegan diet...wouldn't the signs of malnutrition throw up a red flag so that the parents would seek what would work best? They may be Vegans....but they weren't trying to make their child healthy. Or maybe they value their Vegan status more than they do their child's health. Either way the child is the one that suffered here. I think they got what they deserved. Hard lesson learned if they TRULY thought they were doing what is best for that poor baby...but the fact that they were ignoring the growth milestones makes me think they didn't care at all.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:54 am
Maybe they were also of the ilk that believe the medical system in the US is corrupt and that the evil doctor would just force them to buy this drug and that drug and blah blah blah.

Ugh. People are dumb.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 09:36 am
Wilso wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Did she have the child weighed? Our baby is 6 weeks old and has been weighed 8 times already. Do Americans and Canadians have any services for the parents of newborns? We had 3 visits from the community midwives program and 3 visits from the early childhood nurse. All in our own home and all free. I know that Canada has free health care. Am I to assume that only American children who's family can pay for the service can get their child weighed? Is the American health system really that bad? Either that or these parents are so negligent that they should be sterilised so they can't pass their genes on.

The story is here. Bronx Woman Convicted

She ended up getting probation. Apparently she couldn't get her son in to see a doctor because she didn't have a medicaid card for him.
0 Replies