Vegans Guilty on all counts for malnourishing baby...

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:06 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,105 • Replies: 33
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:15 pm
actually, there was no link. I think that there's a lot more to this story than a couple of vegan parents raising their kid vegan.
0 Replies

preinfixed

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:19 pm
I have added a link to the yahoo.com print of the article.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:24 pm
so... you're saying you think this couple starved their child because they were vegans?
0 Replies

preinfixed

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:38 pm
littlek wrote:
so... you're saying you think this couple starved their child because they were vegans?

I believe their version of veganism lead them to starve their child.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:41 pm
Not starved, malnourished. Babies need fat, and animal protein, among other things to develop properly. It is criminal in the sense that the parents inflicted their morality on a helpless child- it hardly gives the child a leg-up in the world.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:42 pm
And I believe they were nuts. Vegan or not.
0 Replies

preinfixed

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:55 pm
littlek wrote:
And I believe they were nuts. Vegan or not.

or maybe they are vegan as mormans like the bible. add stupid to that mix, and this is achieved.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 12:04 am
I don't understand what you said above.
0 Replies

preinfixed

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 12:08 am
littlek wrote:
I don't understand what you said above.

perhaps these people are as vegan as mormans are bible worshiping.

it's a metaphor of extremity.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 12:10 am
I see your metaphor. Personally I see extremism as a signifier of a phsych disorder.
0 Replies

preinfixed

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 12:41 am
littlek wrote:
I see your metaphor. Personally I see extremism as a signifier of a phsych disorder.

Really?

I see extremism as the most perfect version of a philosophy. Generally, what goes wrong with "extremists" are the inherent flaws of the philosophy itself.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 01:00 am
And, individual choice not to their liking becomes their moral territory.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 03:44 am
That poor baby.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 09:39 am
yeah, poor kid.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 26 May, 2003 11:13 pm
I know quite a few vegans who quite healthy. They sure have a lot more energy and endurance than I do! And I bet their arteries are far healthier than mine.

But it takes pretty dedicated research to construct a balanced diet without animal flesh or animal products involved.
There's a lot to balancing proteins and carbohydrates, and finding sources for each type. You can't just wing it.

I suspect this couple was already pretty out there. I certainly don't think they represent vegans, any more than someone who hears voices from God represents Christianity.

If some crazy person does terrible things "in the name of Chevrolet", does that mean Chevy's are horrible cars? I feel terribly sorry for parents who are that out of it, and for the daughter, and for the whole community dealing with it.

Is there any way we can help them, and others around the world like them?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 05:17 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Is there any way we can help them, and others around the world like them?

No. Obsessed people such as this do not admit of contradiction. They will have seen their conviction in terms of a conspiracy against the "truths" which they know. Nietzsche, in Beyond Good and Evil, speaks of criminals who are taken up by the authorities as considering themselves as unfortunate, not bad--they got caught. The obsessed believer is not different. Criminals do not commit a crime in the belief that they will be apprehended, quite the opposite, in fact. They cannot believe that they are doing wrong, or they lack the ability to make such judgments altogether; similarly, they cannot believe that they will be caught, nor that the authorities are competent to catch them--because this would argue against pursuing their object.

The fanatic differs, of course, in that the fanatic believes that s/he is possessed of greater "truths" and that s/he actually acts in a highly moral manner required by adherence to their "higher truth." The effect, however, is the same. Any unfortunate consequences must be attributed to the cupidity, venality or antipathy of others, because to think otherwise would be to accept the possiblity that s/he is wrong, and that just won't do.

So i suggest that you can never rid the world of such people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:02 am
CodeBorg-

Quote:
I know quite a few vegans who quite healthy

I would bet my last buck that the healthy vegans that you know are adults. There are nutrients that infants need to develop properly, that are not as important in adults.

I have read stories where parents fed their babies fat free milk on the assumption that the fat was harmful to them, as in an adult. NOT! The babies ended up with brain damage, because they need the fat in the beginning of life for proper neurological development.

I don't think that veganism is the issue at all. For some people it works, but not for babies. When the parents saw that the child was not developing normally, the diet should have quickly been put into question. This is a case of criminal neglect!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 06:50 am
Even that testimony smells of craziness: "It was Social Services", like "the government did it, they are out to get us..." Lock them up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 10:53 am
There was at least one similar case in Toronto a couple of years ago. Similar situation - vegans - feeding baby soy and rice - baby malnourished and under-developed - parents ended up in jail.

Scary what people do to their children.
0 Replies