littlek

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:12 pm
I think a shorter grained rice rather than a longer grain.... I dunno. I think I'd go to an Asian grocer and either ask or buy some chinese rice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:37 pm
I've been looking around on google and recipes for fried rice are remarkably unspecific except for an apparent preference for leftover, already cooked, white rice.

Here's a link that mentions jasmine rice..
http://www.chilipaper.com/FRecipes/Fsides/Frice/jasmine_fried_rice.htm
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:09 am
I love rice! I love it with meat, beans, fish, vegetables. I love it plain, with milk soup, and I love the crunchy hard part of the cooked rice. My mother used to take that hard part of the cooked rice, and make balls. Oh boy, that was sooo good!!! Did I say I love Rice!!! Very Happy

http://www.enterisi.it/RisoVita/en/3.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:46 am
This is probably my favorite food made with rice.

I do it more simply than this recipe -
I make extra arborio rice some times when I am using rice for dinner.
The next day or so I make up suppli rice balls with the left over rice. I freeze them, and microwave (one minute) for snacks.

When I make the suppli, my filling is very simple - just a small cube of whole milk mozzarella. I don't fry them, so I don't use any fat but what is in the cheese.

Sometimes I make a dipping sauce, again easy - I strain a small can of crushed tomatoes, add fresh or dried basil (or parsley or oregano, whatever) and minced garlic, a little salt and pepper, probably crushed red pepper flakes.

Suppli al Telefono (aka or similar to arancini)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
Aaahhh, arancini! I love those little heart-attacks-in-the-making! I've never tried making them, but I've always wanted to.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:24 pm
I like jasmine rice the best, especially with a little bit of ghee. The brand 'Goya' is good. Basmati rice is good but too expensive. I think either jasmine rice or broken basmati should be good for a fried rice dish, but I don't know for sure. I haven't made fried rice, but I've made an Indian dish that is kind of similar-- you put in vegetables (and/or meat if you like) and turmeric, bay leaves, and lots of other spices in with the rice-- it works really well.
I really have to try that red rice-- I'm surprised I haven't yet!

By the way, what goes well with brown rice? I love white rice, but I'm trying to switch to brown rice since it's healthier. I have tried brown rice before, but I find it a little too hard-- I don't know if it was undercooked or if I just don't care for the texture of brown rice that much. Any suggestions?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
Not to be too nosy, but do you live in the US, sagar? I've only seen it at a couple of stores, and you can probably get it from the online link I gave - but it is expensive. On the other hand, it feels like a meal in itself.

It's unusual in that it is quite "toothy", almost like eating a meat or a fish, has a definite texture, more so than the brown rice I've tried. I am probably the only person around who doesn't particularly like wild rice, but I guess that is also 'toothy'. I'll leave liking wild rice open though as it might have been a series of bad days in my kitchen.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:10 pm
I've been making a risotto dish I really like. It's winter squash and sage, mostly. A small dash of nutmeg rounds out the flavors and a pat of butter and handful of parmasan blend the flavors nicely.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:30 pm
Good one...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:32 pm
I just bought an acorn squash this afternoon... am going to try that tiny pumpkin recipe, whatever recent thread I linked it to.. the one where it is stuffed with gruyere and bread crumbs and whatever...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:12 pm
mmmmmnnnmmmnnnmmmmm..... I keep meaning to try it again.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:34 pm
Osso--
yes, I live in the U.S. I'll look for the red rice-- and will see if I have the money for it!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
Hey sagar11,

I live in Mumbai (India) with my native (origin) place on the coastal region of Konkan (Maharashtra West Coast) that primarily grows RED rice.
My father is a part-time farmer (in monsoon). But he is occupationally a full time teacher in Mumbai city.

Though I have no much knowledge about farming Embarrassed but a descent knowledge about Rice Smile

I love rice and its my primary food. RED rice has about 52 types in India alone. I mean most of them in white rice you also find them in RED. We grow surti kolum rice in both RED and WHITE.

So its just the color ... nothing else differs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Well, the Bhutan red rice is very different than other rices I've tried here in the US, in flavor and texture. It would be fun for me to try more rices from your area, vinsan.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
vinsan-- I will try the red rice in India when I go there next. I've heard of different rices growing there, but have tried only a few varieties. Wow, I actually think farming is pretty exciting.
I would think getting Bhutanese red rice in India would be pretty easy (and less expensive), since it's a neighboring country... ?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:08 am
My favorite rice so far is jasmine and wild rice (I don't think wild rice is rice tecnically, but I may be wrong). I also like brown. I don't care for basmati very much but that is probably bc I can't figure out how to cook it properly.

I've been meaning to try black rice but I can't find any; plus, I wouldn't know how to cook it. I saw a cooking show that used black rice for a seafood dish. It was stunning to look at and made my mouth water.

Anyone know anything about black rice?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:56 am
ossobuco wrote:
Well, the Bhutan red rice is very different than other rices I've tried here in the US, in flavor and texture. It would be fun for me to try more rices from your area, vinsan.

Yeah Butan RED rice is good. But we cant grow that here. See if you can get pink Surti Kolum in US ... u must try that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:27 am
flush'd, I had a link on black rice earlier. It and Bhutan red and several others are packaged by Lotus foods, and they're available at Whole Foods Market, and at my local co-op, and probably other healthy-food type places, and I think, available on line - that should be on the earlier link.
0 Replies

tripura05

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:00 am
Where to purchase red rice seeds ?
Hello vinsan:

As a child I have eaten Red Rice. Red Rice in now not seen in Andhra Pradesh.

I have a small piece of land and I would like to grow red rice there.

Can you or your father tell me where and how to buy the seeds for red rice and how to grow ?

I can bear the cost for purchase and posting of seeds.

I thank you for your information.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:54 am
On the subject of RICE, I recently became a convert to rice and being a newbee, I read in the cooking instructions that I MUST wash or RINSE the rice until the water runs CLEAR before cooking the rice. Then I came across an UNCLE BEN'S Rice Cook Book and they INSISTED "NEVER EVER wash or rinse Uncle Ben's Rice". So what is the "rule of thumb" here? Uncle Ben's products originate from Australia and New Zealand, but I doubt if that has any bearing on my query, LOL. TO RINSE OR NOT TO RINSE, THAT IS THE QUESTION!
0 Replies