drawing

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
A new programme started tonight on BBC, on drawing. Quite interesting with looks at lots of Leonardo anatomy drawings, one of which had influenced a current cardiac surgeon to rethink the way he did a particular operation, with great success.

Other drawings shown were studies of anatomy of horses by Stubbs,

Watercolour sketches by Turner (I LOVE these best of all his work and they are rarely shown), sketches by Constable and going through to Long and his 'art walks'

the site has interesting links that I thought some of you would enjoy

link to secret of drawing page

link to John Virtue studio (he was visiting artist at National Gallery) and did some great drawings/paintings

and a video of John Virtue working on a monochrome painting/drawing

please post any links (or examples) of interesting drawings by other artists?

oh there's a link to this Jackson Pollock thing and it's FUN!

try this out
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,270 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 09:54 am
Thanks Vivien! This all looks very interesting.

Sadly, I started with the Jackson Pollock thing and must now turn my computer over to Mo so it will be a bit before I get to check out all of the other links!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:40 am
Very Happy

Sozlet would probably like it as well
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:25 pm
Oh, Vivien, the Pollock things is exquisite fun. Thanks; I'll never be bored again.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:12 am
Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:55 am
I love Da Vincis drawings!!Pollack for me isnt all that.

Is it Turner that did those hazy views of the Thames?

I also love Alphonse Mucha, Waterhouse and Rosetti.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 03:50 am
material girl wrote:
I love Da Vincis drawings!!Pollack for me isnt all that.

Is it Turner that did those hazy views of the Thames?

I also love Alphonse Mucha, Waterhouse and Rosetti.

I do like Pollock

- lots of artists did hazy views of the Thames! London used to have terrible problems with smog so seeing it like that was very very common! Turner is pure magic and was doing impressionist work way before the Impressionists - they saw his work in London and it must have influenced them. He certainly painted the Thames amongst loads of other places. Monet and Whistler did some pretty good hazy Thames scenes. Turner painted the Houses of Parliament burning seen from across the Thames.

I can appreciate the pre-Raphaelites but they aren't quite my taste. They are very pretty - and often moralising. A bit too saccharine for me. Birmingham has a wonderful collection of pre-Raphaelite paintings if you are interested, and there's the Lady Lever museum collection at Port Sunlight near Liverpool as well.

I think you are in the north aren't you?

I did this image for a project on my daughter and used a Rosetti image

my daughter has a habit of flicking her hair back .... and checking in mirrors! so I combined her with part of a Rosetti painting and put her objects around her on her side. It's a digital image created in Photoshop.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/vivien2/arosetti.jpg
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 04:19 am
Nah, Im down south.
I went to the Tae modern a while back but Id like to g the Tate Britain and see some proper art.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
Laughing

I like the Rothko's at Tate Modern but hate the British paintings from earlyish last century - Vanessa Bell and her crowd. Some of the temporary stuff is good and some ...... oh dear!

The Turners are worth seeing at Tate Britain, especially if the sketchbooks are on show.

I like to visit the galleries in Cork street and the surrounding area because they have some really good stuff (- and some that you wonder what idiot is going to buy!)

There's a Samuel Palmer show that Walter pointed out coming up - that should be interesting.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
Laughing

I like the Rothko's at Tate Modern but hate the British paintings from earlyish last century - Vanessa Bell and her crowd. Some of the temporary stuff is good and some ...... oh dear!

The Turners are worth seeing at Tate Britain, especially if the sketchbooks are on show.

I like to visit the galleries in Cork street and the surrounding area because they have some really good stuff (- and some that you wonder what idiot is going to buy!)

There's a Samuel Palmer show that Walter pointed out coming up - that should be interesting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:50 pm
Yeah, but that Vanessa was some beauty.
Who's afraid of Vanessa Bell?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
Laughing
0 Replies