VW service

nelsonn

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 06:12 pm
I am thinking of buying a new VW wagon, but have heard many stories about (the lack of) service. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.
Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,134 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:34 am
I have never owned a VW. Since you have heard so many negative things about the service, I think that the information should factor into your decision. I switched brands (Toyota to Honda) because of my dealer's poor service. So no matter how good a car is, if the service is lousy, it would give me pause!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:43 am
Never had a problem - I have found the service to be excellent, though very pricey (but that I guess is with all German cars)

But I live in the UK....
0 Replies

boravr6

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:00 am
I personally think that you should first look at why the car would need to see the service department. I have owned my 2000 VW jetta for about 4 years now, and I really dont have any complaints about the actual dealer service, but more complaints as of why my car is always in the service department. I love my car, but there are some small issues its has like: Window regualtors breaking, MAF and O2 sensor going defective, small parts in the car just falling off ect.

People might argue this, but bad service is everywhere no matter what car you own. I have personally been pleased with my service.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 02:23 am
I don't know about other countries than European but here the good or bad service has little to nothing to do with a car brand but with people in that specific garage/ service station.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:36 am
Much the same here Walter!

The biggest problem I've heard from VW owners is that dealers are spotty. Getting service here in New England isn't bad for example, but there aren't many dealers in the Southwest US.

If you are in an area where the VWs aren't big sellers then the local garages don't have much experience with them either so it can be rough.

My sister owns a Jetta and doesn't have any problem getting quaility work done on it here in greater Boston.
0 Replies

rory lynch

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
Re: VW service
nelsonn wrote:
I am thinking of buying a new VW wagon, but have heard many stories about (the lack of) service. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.
Thank you

Well i have bought a 2002 jetta as new off a lot in Grande Prairie Alberta.
At 3 months old approx. we parked our car for 8 days to fly out of town.
when we returned car did not have enough battery power to crank over vehicle. Dealer checked it out and found nothing. Anouther time it would not start after 4 days sitting in our garage(winter months). The last time it happenned was two weeks ago approx. Flew out for 9 days same thing dome light and clock still on but not enough juice to crank.Again dealer checked out and reported "battery and electronics working fine" So they gave me customer relations number as they obviously couldn't do anything without some approvale or modifcation/update from vw direct.
talked to vw rep explained all details. Called them back 3 days later and was told basically what i told them. My request was for a larger battery as obviously if the dealer says the exsisting battery if good and electronics are ok the battery is just not adaquate. I asked to talk to someone higher up was given the name Maissa Saker at 2:30 pm which is 12:30 their local time. This person was gone for the day. I called again 7:20 next morning.Found them to be in a meeting. Am now waiting to have them return my call. So far to me thisd is not good service. Hopefully it changes. I don't like to be a pest but so far they have not made much of an attempt to do anything other than make me feel like i am a idiot. Maybe i am reading this wrong but should i just drive my car having to boost it after it sits for a week and accept this as acceptable performance?
You tell me...thanks ps while i was typing this i got a cal back from customer relations.(manager) She sympathised with my predicament but informed me that the dealer service department is who i need to talk to not them. Ok after long talk i gave up and called back my dealer service manager. He was appretiative of my situation also but said again customer relations is who i shoulr be talking to. sigh Yes i was getting bpast wanting to be nice anymore. I asked to talk to the owner of the dealership. Ran him through the details. He asked me what i thought would resolve the problem I replied a bigger battery he said"well y don't we do that then?" So end result apparrently youhave to borderline on being an ass to get anything dome. Or at least have the perserverance to search through the people who's job it is to passify you and find one that is truely weanting to find a solution. blah blah blah.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
Just noticing that the original 'Jetta' isn't produced since ages - what is sold under the name 'Jetta' in the USA is the 'Bora' - and the production of this car has been stopped -I think so- as well, due to lowest selling figures.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
I think the best-selling VW in the US is the Jetta, with the same-platform Golf a close second.
0 Replies