Everybody hates Chris

flushd

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:47 am
It's so rare that I look forward to a new show. I really thought this show was going to funny. I kept seeing it advertised when I would turn on the tube for the news - and the ads cracked me up.
I'm so disappointed!!! I gathered my brother to watch it with me: and we were both ...MEH. Is this it?!
There were a few moments that were somewhat amusing, but no laugh-out louds. And the acting was so overdone. I just expected so much more!

The little man who plays Chris is sure cute though. Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
I wasn't impressed either. So sad, because I too was looking forward to it. I guess it has to be Chris Rock to make it work....not some kid pretending to be.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
I keep meaning to watch this, and have not. It got great reviews. Anyone have a mid-season update?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:09 pm
i think its great, and look forward to each new episode...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:46 pm
I was looking at the TV schedule and I saw "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Everybody Loves Raymond." I watched Everybody Loves Raymond.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:39 am
how was it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:35 am
One thing I noticed last night (I guess it took me a while to notice it), is that Everybody Hates Chris (EHC) is really formulaic. Every episode goes exactly like this:
    Chris has to do something, either concerning the family or school. Chris gets in trouble doing that or trying not to do that or trying to do it more easily, but he's a good kid and doesn't mean any harm. The parents argue about it. Mom is nuts. Dad is compassionate but busy and put-upon. His sister is bratty. His brother is semi-sympathetic but more in the background. Chris gets out of the jam somehow. Just when you think all is well, the show ends with Chris unable to enjoy his triumph.

I really saw the seams in last night's episode, where he was arrested because the police thought the cookies he was selling (in order to be able to go on a class trip) were stolen. And, at the same time, his siblings had chicken pox. And, after about 2/3 of the show, I said to RP, "He'll get chicken pox when they go on the trip." And, sure enough, that was the ending.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't hate the show, in fact, I like it, but it is really formulaic and I'd like to see something different. I have to say, the kid playing Chris is very good and his sister is a very good child actor. The kid playing the brother is wooden, a terrible actor. Fortunately, he doesn't have many lines. It also seems to be a pretty real portrayal of people trying to make it who don't have much and have to work hard in order to have what they have -- and you can also see what keeps them down. Of course there are exaggerations (it's a television comedy, after all), but the kernel of it feels almost authentic.

But I do wish they'd break out of the formula once in a while. I know the show is about Chris and I get that it's his looking-back perspective, but it would be a refreshing change to see more of a focus on, say, Tanya (the sister) at times. There have been some shows focusing more on the parents, but inevitably one part of the story line is, Chris gets in trouble, he gets out of it, but then gets hit with irony at the end. And that's got to change if the show is to have a hope of surviving beyond a few years.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:43 am
Well, it's the childhood (supposedly) of Chris Rock, who's standup is based on ironic observations and cynicism so I guess "Everybody Hates Chris" (note the title) is a showcase for how he became who he is today.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 12:49 pm
Quote:
how was it.

I like the show, so it was pretty good. Wasn't the best episode though. I think it was the one where Raymond bought a CD player.
0 Replies