Way to use your green tomatoes picked before they freeze

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
This recipe has been adjusted for my 5,000 feet altitude in Albuquerque. This mild, sweet jam is good with savory muffins, scones and other breakfast breads. I like to add it to meat dishes such as pork chops and chicken breasts. ---BBB

GREEN TOMATO JAM

2 pounds green tomatoes
2 lemons
1 tart apple
1/2 cup water
1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided

Scrub and rinse tomatoes, lemons and apple. Remove and discard stem ends of tomatoes; cut tomatoes into quarters.

Transfer 2 tomatoes to a food processor; pulse until chopped. (Or dice tomatoes with a knife.) Pour into a heavy, stainless steel 4-quart pot. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.

Grate zest (colored portion of peel) from the lemons; add to the pot. Halve the lemons; cut off and discard the pith (white part of peel). Slice thinly; remove seeds. Add lemon slices to the pan.

Peel, quarter, core and dice the apple; add to the pot.

Pour in the water; add the cinnamon stick. Stir to combine. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Uncover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup of the sugar; return to a simmer. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons of sugar. Let the jam return to a simmer, then cook, uncovered, until the temperature reaches 8 degrees above the boiling point of water, about 10 minutes; stirring frequently.

Remove the pot from the heat, remove the cinnamon stick. Pour the hame into hot, clean jars to within 1/4-inch of the rims. Wipe rims clean, attach lids and screw the caps on tightly. Invert the jars briefly for a quick vacuum seal. Let the jam cool to room temperature, then refrigerate up to one month.

Yields 3/1/2 cups.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 886 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:42 pm
I like fried green tomatoes first dipped in flour mixed with curry.Then fried to a golden color.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:38 am
Algis
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
I like fried green tomatoes first dipped in flour mixed with curry.Then fried to a golden color.

The addition of curry is a change from the usual US southern recipe.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:40 am
I like them sliced thin on homemade pizza with mozzarella, a drizzle of olive oil, and grated parmigiano or asiago.

I'd probably add torn basil leaves..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
Some people pickle them. I've seen, but never eaten, tomatos this way.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:44 pm
I pull up the plants by the roots and hang them in the garage in the dark/cool and let them continue to ripen.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:53 pm
i use a little salt on them and eat 'em like little apples.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
shewolf
shewolfnm wrote:
i use a little salt on them and eat 'em like little apples.

You are so clever.

BTW, I finally discovered why I wasn't getting any strawberries in my garden. I knew I had berries that were maturing, but they just disappeared.

I caught one of my dogs, Dolly, eating them before I could pick them.
Not only is Dolly my party girl, she's also a strawberry thief.

BBB
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
Laughing

what an image that brought me..
Laughing

i was going to blame it on Dys.. he DOES look hungry all the time.. Shocked
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:08 pm
green tomatoes also make for great sauce ingredience as well.
Just add them to any homemade sauce where the desired result is a bit of " tang" . Vinager sauces, or pasta sauces make great ones to use them with.
You can also just throw them into the blender with 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp basil, 2 tbsp Oregano, 2 red tomatoes, 1 orange bell pepper , and a little heavy cream... maybe 1/4 cup?
throw that onto your meat when cooking things like meat balls for spaghetti, or cut your water amount in 1/2 and add it to stew.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
shewolf
shewolf, you are making me hungry. Why don't you toddle over to my house and whip up a batch?

Maybe I will have a can of beans tonight instead of my usual dog food.

BBB
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:27 am
I think I am going to my local sushi bar and have them make me beautiful tempura slices.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:35 am
Algis
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
I think I am going to my local sushi bar and have them make me beautiful tempura slices.

What a great idea! I love sushi. Also love Japanese tempura. Have not had the good stuff since I left the San Francisco Bay Area for Albuquerque.

BBB
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:59 pm
yeah BBB ! I went with some of my favorite wild mushrooms and the Chef was pleased as sa-ke-to-me for his share in return.
0 Replies