If we were created perfect, why do we sin?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
Does god know how many pubic hairs we have? Our whole body? Inside and out? LOL
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Your point?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
"We are told that God numbers the hairs on our head..."

That's what YOU wrote.

Simple followup question: Does god also numbers our pubic hair?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:02 pm
What's the point? I don't know. You tell us; you're the one who mentioned that god numbers the hair on our heads. Did you have a point?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What's the point? I don't know. You tell us; you're the one who mentioned that god numbers the hair on our heads. Did you have a point?

Sorry, old boy, you got the wrong guy there.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"We are told that God numbers the hairs on our head..."

That's what YOU wrote.

Simple followup question: Does god also numbers our pubic hair?

Rolling Eyes Not me. This was my first post on this thread. Oh, I checked for you. I can see how you got Neologist and me mixed us since his avatar is blue and mine is red and his name is Neologist and mine is Intrepid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:13 pm
Okay, why don't you ask neo since he's the origin of the hair statement. He MUST have a point. You christians know how to communicate with each other, so there should be no problem.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Okay, why don't you ask neo since he's the origin of the hair statement. He MUST have a point. You christians know how to communicate with each other, so there should be no problem.

I was asking you what your point was, not Neo. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I understand.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:25 pm
How can I answer when I'm not the originator of the claim for what god does? My question was an extension of the original claim made by neo. I don't have a point, but maybe neo does. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:26 pm
You know, it's a ridiculous statement no matter whether you are religious or not. I wouldn't know, since I'm not a christian.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:37 pm
Re: If we were created perfect, why do we sin?
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
The perfect conscience is innate. . .God, having created Adam and Eve, programmed them with an aversion to sin.
How do you know that, Neo?
By deduction, I suppose.
They were supposed to be perfect. (whether you guess that is so or not)
God gave them only one rule involving any sort of consequence.
He didn't give any other rules until much later.
I think it's a good guess they had a conscience which gave them an aversion to sin.
I could be wrong, of course.
Frank Apisa wrote:

neologist wrote:
Adam did not have to wonder if it was OK to steal or commit adultery; He was incapable of it.
How do you know that, Neo?
Same guess.
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
If this was all there was to it, Adam and Eve would have been perfect robots and we would all be alive today living happy lives in the smiley farm and life would be beautiful all day long.

No free will - Everything perfect - So what?

So God gave them the choice of whether or not they would continue with His arrangement. He warned them the consequence would be death; but they disobeyed anyway.
But the god purposefully withheld from Adam and Eve...the essential element in making this "choice"...the knowledge of good and evil...right and wrong.
How about cause and effect?
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, we would have no need for the bible. The entire history of man is a consequence of that rebellion and the bible, woven into that history, clearly tells what God has done and intends to do so that his purpose for the earth will become.
Your god tells you that they did not know they were doing anything wrong!

If your god considered this a "sin"...which of course, means that it was something that offended the god...

...then there was something wrong with the god...not with the humans.
The 'god' to whom you are referring created the humans and knew what was best for them. (if you believe the bible, that is) By choosing their own course, they condemned themselves and their descendants to the consequences of their actions.
Frank Apisa wrote:
The best possible guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a history, of sorts, of the early Hebrew people...and that it contains a mythology...a fairytale, if you will, about REALITY.

The fairytale is defective in many ways...but the defect in this early part of the fairytale is especially defective.
This is the part of the 'fairytale', as you call it, which explains what follows. The question Satan raised was whether God had the right to set standards for mankind. By their choice, Adam and Eve rejected God's sovereignty and chose to set their own course.
Frank Apisa wrote:
If there is a lesson that can be obtained from the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden...it is that one should not trust the god in the story.
If you mean by the use of lower case, the god of this world, I would agree.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:47 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
How can I answer when I'm not the originator of the claim for what god does? My question was an extension of the original claim made by neo. I don't have a point, but maybe neo does. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine.
cicerone imposter wrote:
You know, it's a ridiculous statement no matter whether you are religious or not. I wouldn't know, since I'm not a christian.
Does God number your pubic hairs, CI?
Is that what you want to know?
The statement about God knowing the number of our hairs was in response to a question by InfraBlue.
Jesus is reported to have said at Matthew 10:30
Quote:
But the very hairs of YOUR head are all numbered
It may very well be for some that the number of crotch hairs has more relevance than the number of head hairs; but I am not expert enough to make that distinction.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:50 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
You're having a hard time dealing with the paradox of omniscience and free will, neo. Some of the arguments that you attempt to brush-off as straw men are based on that very paradox. It's like saying your own difficulty in dealing with this paradox is itself a straw man argument.
There is no paradox except that which is created by a small mind. "With God, all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:22 pm
neo, Don't know exactly what that proves, but god must surely count the hairs on everybody's head except bald people. He even had some childrens killed by a bear, because they made fun of a bald man.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:41 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Don't know exactly what that proves, but god must surely count the hairs on everybody's head except bald people. He even had some childrens killed by a bear, because they made fun of a bald man.
Funny you should juxtapose your jejune question about pubic hairs with the account recorded in 2Kings: 23-25, in which Elisha called down evil upon some children who had disrespected him. Two she bears then killed 42 children. Now why would that account be included in the bible, as it certainly seems like overkill? You would think a prudent writer might have omitted the story.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:28 am
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
You're having a hard time dealing with the paradox of omniscience and free will, neo. Some of the arguments that you attempt to brush-off as straw men are based on that very paradox. It's like saying your own difficulty in dealing with this paradox is itself a straw man argument.
There is no paradox except that which is created by a small mind. "With God, all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)

But attempting to waive off the issue with quoted platitudes is to avoid the issue, neo. Your response is a red herring, and itself leads to more paradoxes.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:11 am
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

But attempting to waive off the issue with quoted platitudes is to avoid the issue, neo. Your response is a red herring, and itself leads to more paradoxes.
You say my response is irrelevant and an attempt to draw attention away from the real issue. I say the use of the word omniscient invites oversimplification and clouds the real issue.

I believe the bible supports the assertion that God is all powerful and all knowing. His name, Jehovah, literally means 'He who causes to become'. He does not, however, foreordain the outcome of all events.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:10 pm
neo wrote:
I say the use of the word omniscient invites oversimplification and clouds the real issue.

I believe the bible supports the assertion that God is all powerful and all knowing.

So, what's the real issue? That he's omnipotent (i.e. all powerful) and omniscient (i.e. all knowing), but doesn't know and doesn't control everything? That is a contradiction, neo, however you may try to dismiss the point.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:21 pm
All powerful and all knowing, except for the simple fact that we have free will -and that god already knows how everything will work out in the future. Does he or doesn't he control anything on earth?

What is prayer for?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:31 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
neo wrote:
I say the use of the word omniscient invites oversimplification and clouds the real issue.

I believe the bible supports the assertion that God is all powerful and all knowing.

So, what's the real issue? That he's omnipotent (i.e. all powerful) and omniscient (i.e. all knowing), but doesn't know and doesn't control everything? That is a contradiction, neo, however you may try to dismiss the point.
It would be better to use the words 'chooses not to know and 'chooses not to control'.

When my kids were growing up, I often gave them help with homework or some other problem. But once I showed them how to find the answer, I resisted any temptation to micro-manage their lives. That included spying on their privacy, even when it might have made my job 'easier'.

Haven't you ever, for any reason, declined to do something which you had the power to do? Even if you had the right to do it?

I don't see a contradiction in saying God has the power to do anything He needs to do and the discernment to avoid that which is not necessary.
0 Replies