Question about "squealing" tires

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:09 pm
A friend of mine has an sub (Ranger) who's tires squeal at low speed for some reason.

Example: She'll be taking a turn at speeds as low as 10mph, and her tires will squeal. Whats up with that?

My best guess is that it relates to the tire pressure. Other than that, I'm stuck. Anything else that you know would cause that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,533 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:49 pm
has your friend checked tire pressure ? she better make sure it's correct - or she may be in store for a blowout !

she should also check for "sidewall fissures" - hairline cracks in the sidewalls. have her drive very,very slowly - 2-3 m/ph - on an even road while someone stands by the side of the road and checks the tires - looking for hairline cracks in the sidewalls.
i had that problems some years ago with almost new continentals - needed new tires . hbg
fishin

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:30 pm
She may just have crappy tires. Some of the cheap tires will glaze over (the rubber will look shinney!) as they wear. When you go to take a corner the tire slides instead of gripping and you get the squeal.

I had a set of tires on my Jeep that that happened to and they wouldn't hold the road worth a damn. After sliding through a red light and almost T-boning a car I had them changed in a hurry. I can still see the look of terror on that woman's face.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:26 am
It is possible that the wheels are extremely out of alignment along with low pressure.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:35 am
i hope observer's friend takes her car to a reputable shop before she has an accident. hbg
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:33 am
I would try an alignment first. Sounds like a camber and/or toe issue to me. If that doesn't solve it, there are two other explanations I can think of. One is the tire issue like the others said; some tire rubber compounds just squeal no matter what you do. My Kumhos do that on certain types of Pavement. The other is the type of pavement your local municipality uses. Sounds funny, but if I travel to my home town, my tires squeal in every parking lot, on ever street, and ever turn. Often times they get "deals" on supplies when they do a major re-pave of a town. This time the stuff they got was a particularly fine top coat. The whole town has shiny black streets Smile
0 Replies

arielbeliz

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:22 am
@hamburger,
Hi! Ive been looking for this issue, my squealing tire (front left) is a second-hand Continental as well! The guy was all like this is a "great German brand" or whatever. Is this make just plain crap?
0 Replies