Cleaning oil paintings?

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:04 pm
my parents have quite a collection of valuable large oil patings from years and years ago. as it happens, they are by now decorated with lots of memories of flies, dust, and such. now, my natural OCD instinct is to grab windex and a damp cloth and go at it - spray em and wash em down. i am resisting, but it takes a grandiose effort. is there any way, ye painters, how i can clean those suckers without ruining the art, family life, and possibly a few other lives along the way? you have to understand: they NEED to get cleaned, for i am unable to watch tv, unable to talk to my parents, i just focus on the dust and brown spots on those paintings. if i can do it myself, that's naturally preferrable.

oh, and while i'm at it - one of the paintings shows cracks in the paint. the author is now deceased, otherwise we could just bring it to him. is there anything i can use to prevent the crack from spreading and sort of cementing it in the place? was thinking nailpolish... but i will hold that thought too... it's in a completely white area - sort of a frame around the painting, but the white is also oil paint (ummm, i think it's oil). see i like doing things myself, it pleases me. so i'd much rather learn how to do it, if it's simple enough, then to bring it in to some pro.

any tips on either/both?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,844 • Replies: 50
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
Goo-gone and shellac. That'll fix anything.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:27 pm
You say the works are valuable. If they're closer to a thousand dollars or more, you really should have them professionally restored.

Otherwise:
Be absolutely sure that you're dealing with oil paintings and only oil paintings, and then proceed. These methods will destroy most any other kind of medium.

You can use regular soap and water solution and rags to gently blot the paintings clean. Don't' rub. Don't let the paintings become soaked, merely damp. Go slow and methodically. Think like the people who restored Michelangelo's paintings in the Sistine Chapel, and his David. They would have had to answer to the rest of humanity if they f**ked-up. You'll have to answer to your family and those other lives if you do.

For oily build up, which the brown spots seem to be, use alcohol and cotton swabs, or cotton balls. Gently blot, don't rub. Don't use any solvent stronger than alcohol. Go slow and methodically like a pro.

If paint starts to flake, STOP. Hopefully, your screw-up won't be noticed, and your family and those other lives won't disown you.

Varnish them after you've cleaned them and allowed them to dry thoroughly to prevent cracking, or further cracking. Varnish tends to bring out the original brightness of the oil colors. Varnishing by spraying is better than, and preferable to, brushing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:00 am
I really think you should use professional help.

I remember that my grandmother's housemaid once cleaned a really dark 'oil'-painting: even 40 years later, you still can see where that happened.

On the other hand: we have a small painting, which was part of an altar: it really looks very diffrent to the times before, quite 'expensive' so-to-say.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:24 am
hmmm. they are way over $1,000, each. i would not dare to take the responsibility for ruining them. hmmm, i guess i should try talking my parents into having them cleaned professionally. i tried a damp cloth on one of them, one with a white rim around. it came off nicely, but am still worried. one i know is not oil, that one i ain't touching. then there are other three, about 2X2 meters each, maybe more. maybe i should give up.

hmm, when you say varnish, infra, is it some special varnish for oil paintings?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:43 am
I wouldn't know how to clean the paintings, but I know my grandmother once had a similar problem. Her solution was to call the Staatsgalerie in Stuttgart (the capital of the state she lived in). The people there gave her friendly and competent advice on how to proceed. Perhaps you want to do the same and call a major art museum in Boston or Bratislava?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:44 am
good advice, thomas. i shall call the national gallery. then again, this is slovakia, there's a good chance they'll just tell me off.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:01 am
How about Vienna museums -- are you still there? I hear the Viennese have a painting or two hanging in their galleries themselves.

Via Google, I found a site called howtocleananything.com, which had this to say about oil paintings:

Quote:
The short answer Susan is don't clean it. Oil paintings should only be dusted with a soft natural hair brush, even then you run the risk of loosening paint flakes. Many oil painting have varnishes on them which cause discoloration, trying to remove this varnish can damage the painting. There are so many different types of material used in old paintings that what might work for one may not work for another. You should look for an Art Conservator in your area if you are interested in restoring you old painting. Sorry, but hey you never know it maybe a missing Van Gogh.

I don't know if this would get rid of the flie marks, but it should take care of things like dust and spiderwebs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:03 am
dagmaraka wrote:
hmmm. they are way over $1,000, each.

Well, we paid a bit more for the restauration of our painting, so Thomas' advice really is the best. Sad
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:23 am
i would also pay with my life should i do anything to the paintings.... so i'll call around and then perhaps desist from cleaning. it's my cleaning obsession. need clean surfaces! and painting is a surface. very very distracting if flies bombard it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:37 am
Restoration involves more than cleaning and Windsor Newton makes a good product for the use of cleaning oil paintings. Use a soft, lintless cloth (cloth diapers work well) and apply the cleaner in circular motions, moving clockwise then counter-clockwise. Blotting will be more time consuming and not really necessary if the original oil painting is rather flat. The Windsor Newton product is fine castile soap with a mild solvent. Unfortunately, it comes in very small jars.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:44 am
Windsor & Newton now makes the painting cleaner in a larger size, available at a very good site, MisterArt:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/597/Winsor--Newton-Artists-Oil-Picture-Cleaner.htm

It's a new formulation but by a trusted art supply manufacturer.

A professional restorer is likely to charge you more than the paintings are worth. "Over a $1,000" is not a big risk. Over $10,000 might warrant taking them to a professional.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:01 am
Yes, that's why we did so Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:21 am
I knew that! Very Happy

Revarnishing is also a good idea and this entails removing the oil painting from its frame. I'd still use a good quality damar varnish, although the acrylics are perfectly good. I'd use the removable acrylic coating as the remover will not attack oil based paints.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:34 am
bookmarking
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
Book Mark
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:43 pm
well, paintings are by bohus kulhavy - among the best postmodernist painters we got. or that we had, since he died recently.

http://axioart.com/itemimages/middle/_61/2003marcius/284_37.jpg
not the painting we have, but that's the style. we have three of his large paintings, and another one that's not by him and not oil... in any case, they are very valuable. i will not even guess how much, i wouldn't know. but perhaps it is a sign to desist from cleaning, oh sigh.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:28 pm
His death probably increased the value of the paintings.

Consult a professional.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:31 pm
I called a friend who's a conservationist at Winterthur. She said that restoration is non reversible whereas conservation is.
They use different enzymes (She said one of the enzymes is really a chemical the has the chemical nature of human saliva)
She said not to worry about the age cracks,unless its an issue that means differential drying and aging from paint to canvas.

She also said, If its valuable, dont do it yourself because
1 you may screw it up
2 youre not insured for errors and omissions whereas conservators are.

SPIT IN A BOTTLE, whoda thunk it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 06:32 pm
He died Today, Thursday at the latest
0 Replies