One: the Movie

bliss

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:09 pm
ONE
Piffka and Sprinter,

I'm so excited you got so much out of the film. What interviewees did you connect with? What was the feeling YOU walked away with after seeing?

Piffka,

When watching it for the 3rd and 4th time did something stand out the more you watched it?

Do you think the mass-markets will be open to it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Hello Bliss.

Well, as I said, my film co-chair and I normally get a little jaded when we watch a film more than once. Just imagine us as the robots in Mystery Science Theater 3000... commenting in the background. But this time we were right there paying attention throughout each screening. We did comment on which of the men we thought were most attractive: BT Swami... best facial display; Indian guru... most beautiful. He was, btw, amazing. His questioning the question itself, "What is God?" was fantastic, as was his answer. I really felt he was telling the truth. Really, they all seemed to be telling the truth as they knew it. THAT's refreshing!

The more I watched it, the more I wondered how Chris Willis was doing today (and hoping he was okay). The deaf lady and her channeling was amazing. I think Father Keating is the coolest of them all but Robert Thurman must have been awesome to be around. (He did make me a little nervous; I think it was his eyes.) Deepak turns out to be a lot deeper than you might think, considering what a pop icon he is. Some of us were particularly pleased with his feminine reference. Father Rohr was a little prissy about the fly (that was funny) but he sure made sense when he talked about the media and how it influences supposedly smart folks. Llewellen-Vaughn was a great surprise, even though I have been listening to Coleman Barks tapes and become a mesmerized fan of Hafiz, Lalla and Rumi. I was prepared to enjoy the Sufi point of view.... and I did, but I had not idea a Sufi could seem so modern.

My friends who came were all entranced with the film and wished they could see it again. We want to get together and talk about it, but won't have the time until later this week. I've had a few more calls and emails today from strangers who were sad they missed out. Oddly, there was someone who called the library and said she was a teacher. She said she'd talked to the producers of the film and they told her I was supposed to give them this copy of the DVD. Shocked

I walked away from the film thinking that the answers I'd given to the fifteen questions were still an accurate appraisal of my own feelings. I felt I'd found agreement with them in the film. "Satisfied" would be the best word to describe my feelings, "satisfied and comfortable." I call myself a Lapsed Catholic Neo-Pagan Daoist. That didn't change.

I think that many Christians will stay away en masse. Too bad, as there is a lot to be said for the compassionate Christ and his dutiful loving mother. Having the Christian POV there in a few of its forms should interest them, but... <shrug>... I imagine the film will do well in mass-markets in the blue-states and not so well where it is conservatively red, mostly because people will refuse to see it, rather than not liking what they see. Europeans may like it a lot if they get the chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full interviews. Since this is a documentary, I would have preferred an introduction to the main names at the beginning and I wish the dates and places of the others would have been displayed as they spoke.

I liked Scott Carter's depiction of the traveller... that path is very Tao and he did it well. I liked the bus, boat and final destination. I liked the sunset.

I think, looking back, that the run of photos of the film-makers with the interviewees needed some editing. It interupted the flow and I thought that it was the end of the film, the first time. Maybe if they'd splashed those quickly onto the screen like a photo album. Some might say that the beginning could have been speeded up. I felt that way during the first screening (when I admit I was being overly sensitive as to how the audience was taking the film). Later, I just thought it was funny... the psychedelic imaginings of an early youth and a good chaotic, symbolic start. Cool

Well... this is overly long. There is a lot to think about after watching One.
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:49 pm
ONE
Piffka,

Wow!! Great review!! I love it.

You really paid attention to the details. Let me know if you have any other thoughts on the film you'd like to discuss. I love this stuff!

I know the film pretty well.

Keep up the good work. Very Happy
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:21 pm
It sounds like something we should show at our
Friday night series. (It's too late to get it for the
festival). Do they have a web-site?
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:08 pm
Thiefoflight,

The web site is onethemovie.org or circleofbliss.com. Both addresses will take you to the same site.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:24 am
Re: ONE
bliss wrote:

I know the film pretty well.

Bliss -- I'm just one. Tell me what you thought, I'd like to read your review of the film. Would you consider answering the questions?
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:26 pm
ONE
Piffka,

I can't really review the film.

You see...I made it. I am the traveller.

Thank you for taking the time to watch it the way I hoped everyone would watch it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 02:07 pm
Ahhhh. Well, I think we're all travellers on this bus, but I think you must also be the friend & therefore the witness.

Would it be fair for you to answer the questions?
<inserts winning smile> ... or at least describe how making the film changed you?
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
ONE
Well if I answer the questions it would be like recaping the movie, and that's the last thing you want. You've already seen it three times! (Thank you)

The movie has changed me in the same way we described the Robert Thurman stare. Every day I think.....I'm an idiot. Then I'm fearful I can't do something. And then I just....am. This process between these feelings gets shorter and shorter.

I guess one of the things I've learned was (to quote Ram Dass) "..To be here now". This is was a saw people DOING. I like action. Words are empty. It's the action that speaks.

The interview that had the most impact on me was not in the movie. I had and opportunity to set with Ken Wilber for two hours and discuss the movie. Those two hours changed the coarse of the move and my life.

I am in Awe of the wonderment and potential of it all......every single moment.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:27 am
Re: ONE
bliss wrote:
Well if I answer the questions it would be like recaping the movie, and that's the last thing you want.

Not at all. I'd love to hear your recap but I understand your reticence.

Quote:
The movie has changed me in the same way we described the Robert Thurman stare... This process between these feelings gets shorter and shorter.

Has he made any public statements about One?

Quote:

"Be here now". DOING. Words are empty. It's the action that speaks.

Reminds me of the song "Close the language door... open the love window".

Quote:
...set with Ken Wilber for two hours and discuss the movie...

Hmmm, Bliss. sounds good. Which one was he?

I found this while looking at Robert Thurman's various sites. He interviewed the D.L. in 1997. Mother Jones -- Thurman asks the question:
Quote:
The loss of your own nation to China has been used as an example of the futility of nonviolence and tolerance. When is something worth fighting for?

Dalai Lama: This is hard to explain. In our own case, we don't consider the loss of a monastery or a monument the end of our entire way of life. If one monastery is destroyed, sometimes it happens. Therefore, we don't need to respond with desperate violence. Although under particular circumstances, the violence method -- any method -- can be justified, nevertheless once you commit violence, then counterviolence will be returned. Also, if you resort to violent methods because the other side has destroyed your monastery, for example, you then have lost not only your monastery, but also your special Buddhist practices of detachment, love, and compassion.

However, if the situation was such that there was only one learned lama or genuine practitioner alive, a person whose death would cause the whole of Tibet to lose all hope of keeping its Buddhist way of life, then it is conceivable that in order to protect that one person it might be justified for one or 10 enemies to be eliminated -- if there was no other way. I could justify violence only in this extreme case, to save the last living knowledge of Buddhism itself.

For Tibetans, the real strength of our struggle is truth -- not size, money, or expertise. China is much bigger, richer, more powerful militarily, and has much better skill in diplomacy. They outdo us in every field. But they have no justice. We have placed our whole faith in truth and in justice. We have nothing else, in principle and in practice.

We have always been a nation different from the Chinese. Long ago we fought wars with them. Since we became Buddhist, we have lived in peace with them. We did not invade them. We did not want them to invade us. We have never declared war on China. We have only asked them to leave us in peace, to let us have our natural freedom. We have always maintained that our policy is nonviolence, no matter what they do. I only escaped from Tibet because I feared my people would resort to desperate violence if the Chinese took me as their prisoner.

Thurman: How does one counteract violence without hatred or anger?

Dalai Lama: The antidote to hatred in the heart, the source of violence, is tolerance. Tolerance is an important virtue of bodhisattvas [enlightened heroes and heroines] -- it enables you to refrain from reacting angrily to the harm inflicted on you by others. You could call this practice "inner disarmament," in that a well-developed tolerance makes you free from the compulsion to counterattack. For the same reason, we also call tolerance the "best armor," since it protects you from being conquered by hatred itself.
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:43 pm
ONE
Robert Thurman just emailed us yesterday to ask for another copy. He said he misplaced it. So no statement as of yet.

We also talked to Deepak Chopra yesterday and he is requesting 3 copies. So there is a lot of energy behind the movie right now.

Ken Wilber was not in the movie. When we requested an interview he told us he would not be filmed but wanted to talk to us about it if we were in the Bolder Colorado area. So we planed a trip to see him and Thomas Keating. That trip is were we meet Chris Wills. Needless to say, that was a powerful pilgrimage.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
I loved Thomas Keating. Sounds like Colorado must have been wonderful. Is Chris Wills okay?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:54 pm
Piffka wrote:
Paaskymen -- <grin> Hmmm, omniscient and omnipowerful you in charge of the universe, you say? Well... as long as you're filled with compassion.

I think you'd like this film. As for the bread and wine, I always wondered why there was no Biblical mention of cheese. Maybe cheese was not big in Jerusalem then?

Well they had Cheeses of Nazareth Laughing (Sorry, but that was an open goal)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
Quote:
Cheeses of Nazareth

Yay... He scores, a little late but we don't mind! You just have to say it in your head a few times.

Haha Wink

Bliss -- I have been reading online about Steve Wilber. What an extraordinary person. Wow.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:20 pm
Here are some places where One: The Movie will be shown:

Walled Lake, MI
Walled Lake Schools Educational
Service Center
Thursday, 11/17, 7:00 pm
(Diane Powers will be present for a post movie Q&A)

London, England
St. Ethelburas Certre for Reconciliation
and Peace
Tuesday, 11/22, 7:00 pm

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Manship Theatre
Thursday, 12/1, 6:30pm and 8:15pm
(Proceeds to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims)

Cambridge, MA
The Harvard Divinity School
Friday, 12/16 5pm

Good luck to the Circle of Bliss folks! I'm looking forward to seeing the film again in Seattle.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Re: One: the Movie
• What happens to you after you die?

Some people get buried. Others get cremated. Others rot where they lie. Some get eaten by wild animals. Eventually, no matter what, we all turn into the earth from which we came.

• Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?

There is poverty and suffering in the world because, no matter what others might lead you to believe, there is no such thing as fairness. Some people have it all, others have none and most of us are somewhere in between. No matter how fair we try to make things, there will always be someone who feels slighted. Beyond that, there is a no way to control life. Some people die in accidents while the person sitting next to them walk away without a scratch. Poverty and suffering are part of existence and no amount of interaction will change that.

• Describe God

Impossible. First, one must believe in a god. Second, if there is a god, there is no way to describe the unknown. Right now, the most I feel comfortable with is thinking of god as the universe. Many tiny tiny pieces all working together to create this massive impressive universe that is so interconnected losing even one of the tiny pieces making it up diminishes the universe as a whole.

• How does one obtain true peace?

Be who you are truly meant to be.

• When is war justifiable?

There is no simple answer to this.

If I had to answer I guess I would say that war is justified when the end result of going to war is more desirable than the end result of non-action. Of course, depending on which side you are on and who wins in the end, those results when viewed from different perspectives will produce different answers. So... let me modify my answer to say: when the trade-offs of going to war are more desirable than the trade-offs of not going to war.

The answers still change depending on which side you are on but that is the best I could do.

• Describe Heaven; and how do you get there?

I don't know what heaven in the spiritual sense is but if there is such a thing dying is the first step to getting there. Heaven on earth is spending quality time with the ones I love.

• What is the greatest quality humans possess?

Kindness. If there was a way to end poverty and suffering in the word... it would be because of kindness.

• Why are so many people depressed?

We spend to much of our life not living.

• What is the meaning of life?

No such thing.

• How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?

What a loaded question... depends on the god. Depends on the definition of terrorism. I don't think there is a way to answer this.

• What are we all so afraid of?

I can't speak for you, but I am afraid of losing the people I love the most. Without them life would be meaningless.

• What is your one wish for the world?

If we are talking about the physical world, as in the earth on which we live on, I don't have a wish for it. The earth will be around long after we are gone. My wish for humanity would be that everyone was considerate of each other. I think that would end a lot of problems.

• What is our greatest distraction?

Trying to live.

• The theme of the project is "We are all one." What are your thoughts on this?

No... we are not. You are you and I am me. We are all humans but we are not all one.

• Nonverbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.

Picture me on a rollercoaster. sometimes really really high and other times really really low. Always turning. Always twisting. Always going by faster than you can remember everything that happens on the ride.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:12 pm
Cool, jp. Thanks for playing my little game. I especially like your nonverbal image of the condition of the world: a turning, twisting up-down rollercoaster... impossible to remember everything.

Good going!
http://www.christmasgifts.com/clipart/goldstar.gif
0 Replies