One: the Movie

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:34 am
Has anyone seen this independent documentary, One: the Movie? Based on local interest generated by an article about this film, we decided to show it. We'll be screening it in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering if any a2k people have seen it and can comment.

One: the Movie is based on an interesting idea -- three guys interview people who are known as spiritual leaders, either through their profession or avocation. Each one allowed themselves to be filmed while answering the same questions. For information on who was asked, check out the website, onethemovie.org. Basicallly, there are representatives from Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, and New-Age beliefs and philosophies.

In case you're wondering, the 15 questions asked in the film are:

Quote:
• What happens to you after you die?
• Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?
• Describe God
• How does one obtain true peace?
• When is war justifiable?
• Describe Heaven; and how do you get there?
• What is the greatest quality humans possess?
• Why are so many people depressed?
• What is the meaning of life?
• How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?
• What are we all so afraid of?
• What is your one wish for the world?
• What is our greatest distraction?
• The theme of the project is "We are all one." What are your thoughts on this?
• Nonverbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,701 • Replies: 36
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:38 am
Interesting. How similar were the responses? (By the 14th question, I assume that's the gist, that all these different religions gave similar answers...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:40 am
I dunno; haven't seen it yet. I was hoping YOU had! Wink

We won't get the copy for another few days. We show it on October 10th.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 09:48 am
Hmmm. Well, maybe someone will have seen this, I'd like to get their reviews.

I think that, Soz, you are right, most of these people will begin to have similar answers because, for one thing, they are avowed spiritual believers of one kind or another. Probably non-believers would have more differences. How about this... anyone still reading this is welcome to answer the questions and then we'll see. (Maybe this ought to be moved to the Religion and Spirituality Forum?)

<<I'll start; ahem, dibs on changing my mind.>>

I have no idea; I'm leaning towards peace.

People seem to be unwilling to give up greed.

• Describe God
Impossible but I assume a strong feminine aspect.

Listen to your heart.

I don't think it can be; it is a mistake compounding another. One of the earliest religious written sources, the Bhagavad-gita starts with a war... it seems so inevitable and starts a lot of scholarly discussion. I like what the Dao De Jing says and also, Lao Tzu -- War should be viewed as a funeral.

I imagine a beautiful forest and a lot of sleeping. Maybe being a tree?

Their curiosity and their eyes.

The have high expectations.

Sensory perception.

By not having it.

Loneliness and pain.

Clean environment and freedom. (Oops. That's 2. So, okay, I'm throwing in love and beauty, peaceful trade and thoughtful ideas.)

I think it is comparing ourselves to other people and worrying about it.

I think we are all many.

• Nonverbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world.
<Can you see me? I'm twirling around with a dazed look on my face and alternately smiling and frowning.>

http://www.goddess-gallery.com/ggimages/neolith/179.jpg
The design of this predynastic African Bird or Serpent Headed Goddess is about 5,000 years old. A number of similar statues have been found in Libya and Egypt. Representative of vitality and joy, they showed dances for regeneration and the celebration of life. They may also show the invocation of the deities.
It is not known what the pre-literate peoples who created this image called her, or even what language they spoke.
(from a catalog)
0 Replies

rkhassen

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:22 pm
Thank you RKHassan and welcome to a2k.

It is hard to explain the film but people can get a good idea of it by reading the website. Thanks for posting it and the excerpts.

Are you interested in taking a shot at the questions yourself?
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 08:27 pm
O N E
It's not just spiritual leaders that were interviewed in the movie. It is teenagers on the street, homeless people, moms, dads and even atheist. The hope is that this will give you a look at humanity. You tell me if it works
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:07 am
Bliss! Thank you.

Did you think it worked? I hope so because I have more buzz going on about this film than we've had for any other.

Our local newspaper printed a big article with a four by four photo. I have been getting calls everyday and have a bunch of reservations for the main showing. I have even added a screening on Sunday evening to take care of the requests by the library staff and a few others who couldn't watch it on Monday.

People are thirsty for this kind of message film.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:36 am
The worms eat you.
Greed
• Describe God
Short and fat, possibly hermamphroditic
Angie's Massage Parlor on 5th and Grand. (they misspelled a word)
Never, possibly unavoidable, but never justifiable.
That pleasant place in peoples' minds that gets them through the tough
times. By thinking.
Tolerance
Chemical imbalance
To avoid angst
The opposite way George W. Bush is doing it
The unknown and unachievable
Less people
George W. Bush
If we were two we couldn't be one.
• Nonverbally, by motion or gesture only, act out what you believe to be the current condition of the world
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
Gustav the Great, thanks for sharing...

... and have fun with Angie.
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:55 am
Piffka,

The response that I have seen, is that the movie DOES give the audience different view points and ideas to ponder. I think you will want to talk about it after you see it. If you don't you won't be able to sleep.

You won't be disappointed. Smile
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 02:09 am
Nothing can happen to you anymore, because you are dead, all that remains is a decomposing corpse and the memory that other people have of you.
Willful ignorance and indifference
• Describe God
An idea primitive psyches create as a comfort in their insecurity
By dying, life is a struggle
A badly formulated question; rather one should ask whether violence is justifiable and the answers is that it depends on the circumstances. In self-defence a resort to violence is justifiable when all other means have been exhausted.
Full-bodied wine, tasty bread, strong cheese, good friends and uplifting and entertaining conversation. No worries until morning arrives. This is attainable for everyone who has true friends.
Compassion
Inability to be satisfied
There is no prescribed meaning, thank god. Everyone can fill in life's meaning for themselves.
Since god mirrors the primitive psyche and the primitive psyche is driven by fear, god wants us to respond to violence with more extreme violence
The unknown
An omnipotent and immortal version of me would be a good thing for the galaxy at large.
Reality TV
You made a spelling error. It should be: We are all alone.
Define "condition" spiritually, physically, economically, ecologically, etc.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:21 am
Thanks, Bliss. I've been happily surprised by the number of people who want to see this film. I will be watching it for the first time this evening with a rarified group. I'll report back how it went.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:31 am
Paaskynen wrote:
• • Describe Heaven; and how do you get there?
Full-bodied wine, tasty bread, strong cheese, good friends and uplifting and entertaining conversation. No worries until morning arrives. This is attainable for everyone who has true friends.

You may not appreciate this, Passkynen, but your heaven appears to start with sacramental bread and wine. Very Happy I agree with you, this should be attainable for everyone who has true friends.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:01 pm
Wow. Well, I showed One tonight to a bigger crowd than I expected. I liked the film a lot. Did I love it? I may have loved the film. I know I want to see it again and both Mr. Piffka and I would like to get our hands on those CD interviews.

The only complaint I heard from anyone was that the film-makers were intrusive. I personally liked the way it stayed a documentary and I needed to be reminded that they were just amateurs making a film. <shrug> It was funny and profound. There were a lot of guffaws in the crowd and laughter and some very attentive people, too.

Those are amazing interviews. Father Keating! Thich Nhat Hahn! The Sufi mystic! Deepak! Robert Thurman! All who were either everyday folks or totally not everyday. The music was beautiful.

I loved what RamDass said about George W. It made me wish I still had my (prolly first edition) copy of Be Here Now. And who was that African guy? Nobody said anything about him and I thought he was amazing.

I sure know where *I* am going next time I go to Albuquerque and I'm glad I'll be seeing that film again tomorrow night.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
Piffka wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
• • Describe Heaven; and how do you get there?

You may not appreciate this, Passkynen, but your heaven appears to start with sacramental bread and wine. Very Happy I agree with you, this should be attainable for everyone who has true friends.

Nice point Mrs. Piffka. I had not realised my heaven was a reenactment of the last supper (be it with fewer participants), well that only strengthens my later point about the universe and I. Laughing
0 Replies

bliss

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:01 pm
ONE
Piffka,

The African guy I think you are refereeing to is BT Swami. (http://www.btswami.org/). I am sorry to say he has since passed.

There are different opinions on whether there should be more or less narration. Surprisingly the majority seam to be leaning towards more narration! I think it gives people more of a connection because that experience can happen to any of us if we are only inspired to do so.

Did you have any discussion after the movie? How did you feel after?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:56 pm
Thanks, Bliss. B.T. Swami... he seemed to have a lot to say. I liked him. Liked 'em all.

Sad to say, we didn't have much discussion... this is one of those communities where people rush home early before they turn into pumpkins. What discussion there was, was positive. I am expecting more this evening, though I may have to rush people out for a second showing. I can also tell you. I went home and slept like a baby last night. Very Happy

Paaskymen -- <grin> Hmmm, omniscient and omnipowerful you in charge of the universe, you say? Well... as long as you're filled with compassion.

I think you'd like this film. As for the bread and wine, I always wondered why there was no Biblical mention of cheese. Maybe cheese was not big in Jerusalem then? (Has someone written a SciFi story about that? That seems like a Robert Heinlein thought.)
0 Replies

sprinter

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
One the movie
Saw the movie last night. Thought provoking, wonderful people, a must see.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:53 am
Hi Sprinter. Welcome to a2k. I have to ask... Did you see it in Gig Harbor?

Final report: We had 38 people at the first show last night, 15 at the second for a total of about 80 people to see the film over our two-night stand. My co-hort in cinema and I watched it three times, so that skews the totals somewhat. As she said, "We're going to be so enlightened, we'll glow in the dark." Wink

I'd watch it again.

Thought-provoking is an excellent description, Sprinter.

I'll be interested in seeing how the mass-market theaters take to it.

I purchased all the DVD's of the interviews from the onethemovie.org website and can hardly wait for them to arrive. I bought the "deluxe" version with a wooden box and the incense. Very Happy
0 Replies