Why Austria is right about Blocking Turkey into EU

Steve 41oo

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:33 pm
Thats funny It called me Mr and Mrs Chiantishire too.

And I dont even know where that is, but Walter will find out no doubt
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:33 pm
Hm, I did score as "Mr and Mrs Chiantishire" as well...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
Well, I'm Mrs/Mr. Chiantishire as well - but to clarify: I don't like sun-dried tomatoes that much and never drink wine.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
nah we dont want them jinjangians. Difficult language...and some of them are Mu....

[Censored by ......(thats censored)]
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
Its actually just an intelligence test. Mr and Mrs Chiantishire is code for you are smater than average.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:42 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
If Europe is never to have any boundaries, then the whole world will be European. Watch out USA and China.

Naaaah. The question is more about where to stop. If you would allow Belarus and Ukraine in, would you allow Serbia, Mazedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Slovenia and Croatia in as well? Moldova, too?

And if you'd allow Russia west of the Ural in, then what about Georgia? Or what about Azerbaijan? Seriously, where would you stop, and what would be the criteria?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
anybody who looks like us and fears the same god. that i believe is the rule, no? oh, and can pay their way, or most of it, anyway. and has no funny script. and has oil or can make tanks or sumthin.
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:15 pm
Eh, I was writing a long post about why I think its unavoidable that the EU integrates Georgia and Armenia in the end.

They're nominally in Europe, Georgia is stridently pro-Western, both of 'em are Christian islands in a rather hostile Islamic environment. The latter means that, if the EU doesn't step in, they're basically surrendered to Russia's whims, something Georgia at least has been stridently resisting.

Oh, and Georgia = strategically crucial gas/oil pipeline that will enable the West to bypass Russia altogether in case of trouble.

I was also saying that all of the Balkans will eventually be integrated too. In fact, its a bit lost in the furor around Turkey but the EU last week just agreed the first step for Serbia and Montenegro's membership.

And in the end - you know, hypothetically speaking: it takes something like 7 euro a head a month (not gonna calculate it again) for the current EU citizens to actually fund a comortable 1000 euro/month income for each and every Bosnian/Herzegovinian. Thats the size we're talking about.

Cant say that for Russia...

Was gonna say all that and more, but then the computer spontaneously restarted...
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:29 pm
Russia???

White, Christian, if they want they can join.

But their European lands are contiguous to Asiatic lands, NOT like Turkey SEPARATED BY INTERNATIONAL WATERS!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:33 pm
1000 euros a month? can we get that? ya know, there's not that many of us, either! and average wage is about 400 euros a month.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

But their European lands are contiguous to Asiatic lands, NOT like Turkey SEPARATED BY INTERNATIONAL WATERS!!!

The Bosporus, as you certainly are aware of, is as international as the Danube.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:40 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

The Bosporus, as you certainly are aware of, is as international as the Danube is.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:53 pm
nimh wrote:
Eh, I was writing a long post about why I think its unavoidable that the EU integrates Georgia and Armenia in the end.

They're nominally in Europe, Georgia is stridently pro-Western, both of 'em are Christian islands in a rather hostile Islamic environment. The latter means that, if the EU doesn't step in, they're basically surrendered to Russia's whims, something Georgia at least has been stridently resisting.

Oh, and Georgia = strategically crucial gas/oil pipeline that will enable the West to bypass Russia altogether in case of trouble.

I was also saying that all of the Balkans will eventually be integrated too. In fact, its a bit lost in the furor around Turkey but the EU last week just agreed the first step for Serbia and Montenegro's membership.

And in the end - you know, hypothetically speaking: it takes something like 7 euro a head a month (not gonna calculate it again) for the current EU citizens to actually fund a comortable 1000 euro/month income for each and every Bosnian/Herzegovinian. Thats the size we're talking about.

Cant say that for Russia...

Was gonna say all that and more, but then the computer spontaneously restarted...

The Balkans is too much in heart of Europe to not become part of the European Union in the long run - even though that would mute the "common religious roots/beliefs" as a presumend criteria for membership in the EU.

I agree with the description of the Georgia/Armenia situation, but I'd still have some difficulties imagining them as member states. They are geographically quite a bit out of the way of the current EU, and even if Romania and Bulgaria will eventually become members it doesn't seem to change a lot.

Quite a different question would be how important geographical unity might be...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
nimh wrote:
No, no no, not Russia. Rather Turkey, even.

I'm in lock-step with you on that, nimh.
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
Yeah I agree, Georgia and Armenia would only come into the picture once the Ukraine has joined - and that should be another ten years, I think. And 10+ years is a long time, under the smoke of Russia - I mean, any re-emergence of a militarily expanding Russia would instantly pull the carpet out from underneath our speculations.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
old europe wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
If Europe is never to have any boundaries, then the whole world will be European. Watch out USA and China.

Naaaah. The question is more about where to stop. If you would allow Belarus and Ukraine in, would you allow Serbia, Mazedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Slovenia and Croatia in as well? Moldova, too?

And if you'd allow Russia west of the Ural in, then what about Georgia? Or what about Azerbaijan? Seriously, where would you stop, and what would be the criteria?

thats a fair question
give me a map and a sharp pencil...

probably as I said including Russia West of the Urals, Ukraine Belarus and the little bit of european Turkey.

and obviously Japan, Honduras and Tasmania...sorry if you detected a degree of flippancy there
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:49 pm
Hawaii, please.

We'll trade Belgium for it.
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:52 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
it was an interesting show tonight

how european are you?

On of the more obsucure facts was that Greenland was the only country to leave the EU

And that the Greenlander Flag looks like well I cant describe, there is a little bit of research. Find it and post.

Prize for first (except obviously nimh and walter who know anyway)
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:57 pm
I am Austrian living in the United States and I am PROUD of my country, this is the THIRD time we stopped the ASIATIC HORDES at the Gates of Vienna!!!

I hoped to hear some thanks, guess not, not for the 1st 2 times evn........
0 Replies