The Biggest Loser

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:54 am
I stumbled onto this show and became interested. Is anyone else watching?

I'm disturbed that people are voted out. Unlike other reality shows where people voted out lose nothing but the possibility of winning some money or a job, the people here are dealing with health issues. If they come on the show, they've theoretically made a commitment to do something good and life-changing. Which is why tossing them out bothers me.

There should be some kind of penalty other than voting out a member for a team that doesn't win a challenge.

Okay, that's out of my system.

Is it my imagination, or are the men warmer and more caring than the women? I'm rooting for the doctor (so far--this could change week by week).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 5
No top replies

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
Is this the show where they are all trying to lose a bunch of weight?!
And they get weigh-ins to see which team has lost the most?

If so; I haven't seen that show on tv for a long time, but I used to be completely addicted to it. I remember they once had a competition where they were shown how much weight they had lost in the equivalent of their favorite food. That was gross, i tell you! Then, they had vests strapped on with all their old weight and had to run the track. Now that was a great show!

sorry if i'm thinking of a different show
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:01 pm
flushd, You've got the right show. Two teams of obese people are competing to see which one can lose the most weight. The show emphasizes diet and exercise. There are reward challenges and dump 'em challenges.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
Yeah Roberta, I had a few questions about the set-up of the show myself.
Those are real people, with real lives. It does seem a bit harsh to be voting people off (hence, taking them out of the support system and structured environment that was helping them).

It also disturbed me that the emphasis was on how much weight they had lost. In real life; that doesn't seem like the best approach. It seemed like a lot of pressure on the wrong things.

There was a guy on the season that I watched: Mo. He was seriously obese. I loved watching him and cheering him on. He seemed like such a nice guy.

On the positive side: it was inspiring watching folks reaching personal goals that they had long ago given up were possible. That I enjoyed. Seeing Mo run his first lap around the track without having to stop was really cool.
Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:01 pm
Is it a new season, or are they rerunning last year? I can't explain it, but it was the only reality show I ever got interested in.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:23 pm
flushd, I agree that there are some inspiring aspects to this show, unlike many other reality shows. Great strides for these people.

J_B, I believe it's a brand new season.
0 Replies