How do I remove the Winfixer 2005 pop-up?

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:10 am
Strange, it appeared at the top of this thread page & my pop-up blocker went crazy.

Is there no way this can be removed?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
I think I might just get out of here now. It back again! The ad, I mean. Shocked This is driving me nuts!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
I just went to "Block all popups" on this browser, which is Opera.

I suspect I will need to change it again, but for a while....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
"It" being an ad for Winfixer?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:20 am
Yep. Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:40 am
Any progress on removing the Winfixer advertisement from A2K? (It's still here!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:28 am
From a Google search. Can anyone endorse any of these? I'm already using Adaware & Spybot:

Winfixer-PopUps Remover
Can't Get Rid Of Winfixer-PopUps?
Quick & Easy Delete - Free Download
Scan-it-Clean-it.com/Winfixer.html

Winfixer 2005 Removal
Removes Winfixer 2005, Spyware,
Adware, Popups from PC. Only $19.95
www.AdwareAlert.com

Remove Spyware
Compare 5 Top Spyware Removers That
Remove Spyware. Free Scans.
SpywareRemoversReview.com

WinFixer 2005 Remover
Can't remove WinFixer 2005 Spyware?
Remove WinFixer 2005 Now, Free Scan
www.ScanForFree.com

Easy Winfixer Removal
Tired Of Those Winfixer Popups?
8 Easy Steps, Winfixer Removal
www.Netsearchresults.com

WinFixer 2005 Removal
Remove WinFixer 2005 PopUp for good
Free WinFixer scan, Quick & easy!
www.Free-Scanner.com
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:40 am
I emphatically do not endorse any of those, msolga; all of them may be found HERE.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 08:34 pm
I've deliberately stayed away from this thread, as it appears to be tempting fate to come here! :wink:

Anyway I'm back with a plea. I'm taking the direct approach to see what happens:

Dear A2K "management",

Please, please could we have the diabolical Winfixer 2005 advertisement removed from your list? It is a menace! I don't visit many internet sites, mainly here & a variety of news outlets. I've encountered Winfixer problems directly as a result of visiting A2K & I know others experienced the same. It is a very inconvenient & time-consuming business to fix for a Luddite like my good self. The past 2 days have been Winfixer-free & that's been a breath of fresh air! Very Happy However a short time ago today the monster reappeared! Shocked Evil or Very Mad.

I request is this: Please, once & for all could this extremely evil, annoying & trouble-causing advertisement be removed from A2K? Is that possible? You will bring about a great of joy happiness to me & other harassed & time-challenged Luddites if you could oblige!

In anticipation of a reply. Soon, I hope!

Yours sincerely,
msolga
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
Might have more chance of a reply in Forum Help. Msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 10:38 pm
Did you manage to fix it, Deb?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:44 am
I doubt it, Msolga.

Frankly, I find the Hijack this stuff too daunting to attempt.

I did search for, and manually delete, all references to the wretched thing on my puter, but I think the beast popped up after that.

I have updated and run Spybot, Adaware and Norton. (Which I do regularly anyway.)

Adaware and Spybot kept killing some damn thing, and saying the place was clean, but still it popped.

I ran Spyware Doctor, which is recommended on the site Timber just gave you a while back, and it found some stuff the others hadn't found, but since I had to pay $29.50 in American dollars to use it, and I don't currently have that, I didn't clean the machine with it.

I haven't had the beast intrude for a couple of days, but I suspect that is luck.

I am blocking all pop ups on Opera, which is annoying, cos some of them are benign, but it tells me what it is doing, and asks me if I want to allow them, if I am fast enough to see it happen.

The plague of popups certainly is related to the damn ad appearing in the damn rotation.

However, I am not sure if it is actually the ad MAKING them appear, or whether some yuckware on my puter causes the blasted pop ups when the ad beckons them to, as it were.

I have seen some very bruising disputes between Craven and, eg, Set and ehBeth on this very matter, when they insisted that the problem was A2k, and Craven that (as I dimly grasp it) yuckware on their puter was cauing the damn things to appear, and triggering them when they were browsing A2k.

I trust Craven's knowledge on such things, and the damn pop ups did NOT appear on my work computer when the noisome and blasted ad did, which is supportive of that thesis. (My work computer has allowed blasted pop up ads at other times from other sites.)

That being said, I know pop ups sometimes appear via ads here, and Craven does his best to get rid of them when he can.

Damned if I know.

Smoches.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:13 am
I've tried most of the things you've tried, too, Deb & for a couple of days I actually thought it was gone, too. But, alas, earlier today it returned, as I said earlier. The thing is, it's honestly only while I'm on A2K that the damn pop-ups are triggered (preceded by a valiant attempt by my pop-up blocker to stop it), so ..... Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I've sent my pleading letter to Forum help, so we'll see what happens.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:25 am
Indeed.

Hmmm...mine DOES manage to block, but the damn popups are so insanely prolific that it goes utterly nutso doing it!

I really feel bad for it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:28 am
dlowan wrote:
I really feel bad for it.

The pop-up blocker? Oh, me, too! It tries SO hard & gets defeated time & time again by that bloody, bloody Winfixer! Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:34 am
Hmmm....I am using Opera as a browser, and, with its pop up blocker on max, it works.

Worth a try, if it is annoying you so much?

Or mebbe Firefox, which is a great browser too?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:41 am
I spoke to another Ozzian who'd experienced the same (Winfixer/A2K)problems about Opera. He seemed to think it was a bit iffy, so ...? Confused

I figure if all else fails I'll just have to pay to have a tech. fix it for me. I feel out of my depth with all this technical stuff. Seems so hit or miss ... Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:47 am
Ack, it just happened again just now. Sad

I'm off. See ya later.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:48 am
Ack, it just happened again just now. Sad

I'm off. See ya later.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:52 am
Well, if you are able to do the "Hijack this" stuff, it should be ok.

If not, a tech indeed.

I was thinking of Opera as a temporary fix for you. Mine is coping, but hey, what you will.
0 Replies