Let's Tell Oprah to do a Segment on Evolution!!

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
Piffka had the idea (via farmerman, sorta), I think it's a great one:

Piffka wrote:
Oprah ought do a show that explains and supports evolution. Maybe we'd get some sanity back in this country.

Help me write the letter! Or else we can start a letter-writing campaign...

Cool, I just found the place to make show suggestions:

http://www.oprah.com/email/reach/email_showideas.jhtml

This could be big!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 995 • Replies: 14
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:36 pm
im in.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:39 pm
I love it !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
I would like to give you all a big hug. It may or may not work but we will never know unless the idea is tried. You dont want me doing any writing, itll be all hypersounding and span of attention and....
hey theres a neat moth on the outside of my window screen.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
O'boy! I'll dash a letter off tonight.

I bet she would do it as a way to "enlighten" and educate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:56 pm
I love that it's one of those situations where she could accomplish far more than, say, some highfalutin' PBS special.

I'm still planning my approach -- trying to find some quotes (maybe from book club) about how she thinks it's important to (educate/ use her unique platform for good/ whatever fits).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:04 pm
Very interesting!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
Are you sure she supports Evolution?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:36 pm
I bet she says it's too political.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
You're probably right.

That's why I'm looking for just the right quotes to shame her into doing it...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:01 am
Hi. I see that the evolution letter hasn't gone too far. Do you think that shaming her into doing something is the right approach? It seems negative. How 'bout appealing to her obviously keen mental powers and her interest in education?

Quote:
(from http://www2.oprah.com/about/press/about_press_bio.jhtml)
PHILANTHROPIST
Oprah has long believed that education is the door to freedom, offering a chance at a brighter future. Through her private charity, The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, she has awarded hundreds of grants to organizations that support the education and empowerment of women, children and families in the United States and around the world. Amongst her various philanthropic contributions, she has donated millions of dollars toward providing a better education for students who have merit but no means. She also has developed schools to educate thousands of underserved children internationally and created "The Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program," which gives scholarships to students determined to use their education to give back to their communities in the United States and abroad.

Somebody who watches Oprah regularly is gonna have to help, that's for sure. Who watches her? Who'll volunteer to watch?

According to this Christian website, she's so "new-agey" that she's practically the anti-Christ:
Oprah Winfrey's Religion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:13 pm
Is there someplace that has a list of her past "book reccomendations"? PErhaps a quick browse will find some titles that are science oriented.
Well, howdee do. Her guru is the guy who wrote "Dancing Wu Li MAsters" Its a book that although on Physics, has a number of areas that depend upon evolutionary thinking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
So, howsit going???????????
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 02:14 pm
farmerman wrote:
Well, howdee do. Her guru is the guy who wrote "Dancing Wu Li MAsters" Its a book that although on Physics, has a number of areas that depend upon evolutionary thinking.

Yeah... that's what they didn't like on that website. Evolutionary thinking, oriental philosophy, science, chaos, string and quantum theory. All evil stuff.... and dangerous. It can get you into a lot of trouble.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:23 pm
The heck with Oprah.

I want to see Jerry Springer do a show on evolution.
0 Replies