framing a triptec

tufty68

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:20 pm
Hi there.

My mother is an artist and has produced a triptec in oil. The canvases are about 22 x 28 each. The subject is a nature scene, and she doesn't want to detract from the subject.

Any recommendations about simple framing techniques for triptecs?

Thanks!

Shannon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,447 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:29 pm
Triptycs are hard because the frames can often overwhelm the paintings. Since these are (I assume) long side on the horizontal, you could get away with a fairly thin gold frame without a lot of gingerbread and plaster relief. A deep sided simple gold frame (s) that make the painting stand out proud of the wall.

If they are narrow end horizontal, A colored frame set (still simple and deep ) could work. I did a tryptich for a show a few years ago and framed them in painted ditressed flat panel wood with no goo gaw. The wood looked like a window frame through which the triptych was viewed. It worked , the jurors liked .
0 Replies

tufty68

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:21 pm
Thanks so much for your input. I agree, I think the simple wood frame is best, particularly for the subject matter. Thanks again for your insight!

Shannon
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:16 am
Since language is a mere plaything and we both misspelled the word, I had to look it up. Its spelled TRIPTYCH. So now we both know.

How does a distionary help if you dont know how to spell a word?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:33 am
Do they have to be framed?
If they are on wood canvasses can they be hinged together at the back and be displayed like a small 'dressing screen' on a sideboard or table.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
I had good results with putting a flush, box frame with a 1/4" border, 3" depth around a triptych piece. It doesn't detract from the painting/drawing in the least, and adds a nice finished look to the overall piece.
0 Replies

tufty68

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 01:17 pm
Thanks everyone for answering. We are going to try a simple frame, but might even consider mounting the pic on fabric, and then framing the two together. Sort of like a shadowbox effect without the glass in front.

It's not going to be cheap no matter how we do it. Might as well make is interesting.
Smile
0 Replies