My third trip to London this year/Alison Lapper

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
Just thought Id share my trip with you.

I went to visit a book ashop and a bead shop, once id done that I went a wondering in Camden Market, then got lost in the nooks and crannies of the London Streets, I loved it.

On my travels I saw a guy from a soap opera, Alan Yentob and I said 'hi' to John Cusack!!!!!!Who was a walking across Trafalgar Square.Im such a name dropper!!

I didnt realise but that day in Trafalgar Square was the unveiling of a new statue of a lady (Alison Lapper)who was born with no arms an shortened legs, she was pregnant at the time of the statue being made.
Her statue will be exhibited for 18 months on the 4th plinth in the square.
Personnaly I thougt it was beautiful, mainly her face and the inpact of the new 18ft statue, wasnt too bothered about the rest.

There were crowds forming around her and the artist, soem people were being asked what the thought of it.
Some hated it, some loved it,some thought it was wrong to be in a square that celebrated nautical history.Some thought it shouldnt be allowed o be seen by kids, which I thought was hilarious as Alison Lapper has a child and the sooner kids see this type of a difference in people the more they will realise its the norm.

Did anybody else see the unveiling, hear reports?Any views?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 761 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Yes, I saw it in the newspapers. I believe she was a victim of thalidomide?

Excellent idea, as long as she is happy with all the publicity. Why not celebrate someone who has overcome her "difference" and seems to be living life to the full.

Glad you had a nice day, MG.

PS....you should have gone there for the "Ashes" procession and celebrations. A wild old time, I hear!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:12 am
Yeah, that would have been good, wish Id gone for the Olympics result too.Its such a great place to celebrate in.
I saw yesterday that Trafalgar Square can actually be rented out for events!!!

A good point that Alison Lapper made was that she has been using her body as art for most of her life but it hasnt got her anywhere then as soon as an 'able bodied' artist uses her for art it becomes a success!!

It also annoys me that the artist whose name is behind the sculture didnt actually sculpt it, it was sculpted by people in the hills of Italy(or Switzerland, cant remember which)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:34 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Yes, I saw it in the newspapers. I believe she was a victim of thalidomide?

No, actually she was born that way through some kind of other defect. I saw a doco on her, she's feisty!
0 Replies