tell me about aromatic bitter?

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 06:36 am
What is it? i have seen them being sold in stores.
from what i have heard, people put it a few drops in drinks. how does it taste like?
i bought a bottle of lemonade type of drink mixed with this thing, it didn't taste any different.

i can't find much information about it online, so can anyone tell me about it?

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,967 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Wy

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
Aromatic bitters, like Angosutra, are herbal preparations originally concocted as aids to digestion. Some people still use it for that, a couple spoonfuls taken after a big meal. In the U.S it's mostly used in alcoholic drinks -- I think a Manhattan ismade with a couple drops.

You call yourself youngman -- if you're old enough to be in a bar, try asking the bartender if you can taste a couple of drobs of bitters on a spoon. I think it's a pleasant taste, but it's unusual, and you may not like it.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:26 am
yes, that is the brand name angosutra.

i am not in the us at the moment. i can actually just buy it at the store. it costs about $4/bottle. however, i don't feel like wasting that money if i won't like it.

have you ever tasted it yourself? how often do people put the bitter in their drinks?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:32 am
List of 47 'Angostura drinks'
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:39 am
Quote:
Bitters,

of numerous aromatized and often alcoholic liquids containing bitter substances (chiefly alkaloids, glycosides, or complexes), used as tonics, liqueurs, appetizers, digestives, flavourings, and ingredients to add tang or smoothness to alcoholic drinks. Bitters are prepared according to secret recipes by several manufacturers using bitter herbs, leaves, fruits, seeds, or roots and sometimes alcohol or sugar. The taste is imparted by substances such as orange peel, gentian root, rhubarb root, hop flowers, quassia-wood chips, cascarilla, cinchona bark, and quinine. Aroma is provided by juniper, cinnamon, caraway, anise, nutmeg, camomile, cloves, and other flavouring agents. Bitters are usually named according to the ingredient giving the predominant flavour, such as orange bitters and peach bitters. The alcoholic strength varies but is generally about 40 percent by volume.

Medicinal bitters, few in number and of minor therapeutic value, include compound tinctures of absinthe and of aloes. Early Hebrew history records the addition of sweet-scented or bitter herbs to wine in order to improve and give variety to the flavour. The preparation of aromatic liqueurs originated in France around 1533, and their use spread quickly over the world.
source: Encyclopædia Britannica.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:50 am
cool. thanks.

i think that i will just spend $4 and buy a bottole.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:15 pm
aromatic
"ANGOSTURA aromatic bitters is a highly concentrated food and beverage flavouring. Made from a secret formula, it is a unique blend of natural herbs and spices which is used to flavour a wide variety of foods and drinks. The "secret" was developed in 1824 by Dr. J.G.B. Siegert, a Surgeon General in Simon Bolivar's army in Venezuela. He used his aromatic bitters to improve appetite and digestive well-being of the soldiers. The word "Angostura" came from the town of that name in Venezuela where Dr. Siegert was based.
Today ANGOSTURA aromatic bitters is available in consumer sizes of 100 ml and 200 ml as well as 3.7 ml miniature bottles."
0 Replies