cjhsa

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
Like chocolate Powerbars? Here's a homemade version that won't set you back too much coin.

3 cups oats
2 cups protein powder (chocolate soy protein powder, or 1 1/2 cups soy protein and 1/2 cup cocoa)
2 cups corn syrup
2 cups peanut butter (unsweetened, salted)

Grind up oats into flour (a blender does a good job of this), mix with protein powder.
Combine corn syrup and peanut butter and microwave on high for several minutes, then mix until evenly blended, add to oat/protein powder mixture and stir. The mixture is quite stiff - hand-mixing would be a workout, use a KitchenAid if you have one. Pour into a big pan and flatten. Refrigerate until firm, then cut into pieces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,889 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 05:06 pm
I didn't notice this thread before - good idea, cjhsa!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 05:24 pm
This seems a useful article on sportsbars and their ingredients -
http://www.wacotrib.com/health/content/shared/health/weightloss/powerbar0623.html
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
That's a great thread, I'm deifnitly going to try that one!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 01:23 am
Still eating the first batch. Pretty good!
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:37 am
Re: Homemade Powerbars
cjhsa wrote:
Like chocolate Powerbars? Here's a homemade version that won't set you back too much coin.

3 cups oats
2 cups protein powder (chocolate soy protein powder, or 1 1/2 cups soy protein and 1/2 cup cocoa)
2 cups corn syrup
2 cups peanut butter (unsweetened, salted)

Grind up oats into flour (a blender does a good job of this), mix with protein powder.
Combine corn syrup and peanut butter and microwave on high for several minutes, then mix until evenly blended, add to oat/protein powder mixture and stir. The mixture is quite stiff - hand-mixing would be a workout, use a KitchenAid if you have one. Pour into a big pan and flatten. Refrigerate until firm, then cut into pieces.

I never try but now must to try.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:57 pm
2 cups of corn syrup?! Laughing

I'll check out that site that is posted on this thread. There's gotta be something that isn't loaded with sugar.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:21 pm
Sugar is a high energy source. I didn't say these were low-carb bars.
0 Replies