A'm all tuckered out

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
I wonder if the BP meds affect your electrolytes at all, though?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
I think electrolytes are okay. I've been having blood work on a 6 month basis, and am in the normal range.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:35 am
Is there any way to break the trip up?

Ride part way, park/lock up the bike, walk the rest of the way - kinda build up the biking distance more gradually.

<I got that idea from dlowan's "walking to new job" protocol" - makes a lot of sense - and is the same plan as when I'm increasing swimming distances>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
No. When I start out for home or work, I'm fully committed to arriving, and so is the bike. One of my sqwaks here is that the town is not very bike friendly. We have some marked bike lanes, but instead of racks you can lock up to at stores and restaurants, there are little signs that say something like "No skates, bicycles, or skateboards on sidewalk." Well, I could go for shorter rides on days when I don't ride to work, but the question is should I go for shorter rides, or maybe lay off for a day or two.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:02 am
Well, strictly speaking, you are supposed to vary the muscle groups daily - so riding every day isn't optimal as an exercise.

But if it's about getting into condition to ride the bike the full distance to work each day - then shorter trips interspersed with the full runs are the better way to go.

Let's say the full run is 5 miles each way.

Sunday - a 2 - 5 mile ride around the neighbourhood.
Monday - the full 10 miles
Tuesday - a longer ride than Sunday
Wednesday - the full 10 miles
Thursday - a longer ride than Tuesday
Friday - a longer ride than Thursday
Saturday - a long ride - say 8 - 10 miles

the following week - ride in 3 days

<that's sort of a modification of an old swimming training program>

Are you eatin' bananas? Good for training.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
Roger, I think it's perfectly normal. I work out 3 times a week now - and those are are two hour long boxing sessions. Since I'm a beginner, I feel the same rubberiness the next day. I recuperate over the weekend, and Monday training is superb. I guess it just takes time. Once you get stronger, the weakness will be lesser. Unless it's something completely unrelated... ya know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
Thanks for the reassurance, dag. I'll keep up the effort, and pretty much follow the ehBeth schedule.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
Roger--

Give it another week and if there is no improvement, see your doctor.

Of course, two more servings of lovely, green vegetables would work wonders.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:29 am
Yeah, Roger, what Noddy said...

BTW, I just grateful Dys doesn't wear his boots to bed; the hat I can live with...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Oh and be sure to see the doctor if you don't start feeling better with your new schedule withing a week. Do not put it off. Please.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
How much water do you drink? I know, I know, just tell us.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
I don't record it, but I drink more or less continually.

DOCTORS SCHMOCTORS!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 11:47 am
Quote:
DOCTORS SCHMOCTORS!

exactly, you pay them good money to have them tell you "you need to see a doctor"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:03 pm
Doctors don't want sick people. That's why they have their Wellness Centers, and Family Practices.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
No no Roger, they have Wellness Centers so that they can charge you to come see them when you're well or when you you're ill. Coming and going as it were.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:44 pm
Oh for pity's sake! Just listen to all the women here who care for you and want you to be in the best possible health and stop with the macho "Why should I go to a doctor" typical male idiocy.

I tend to get angrier the more I care for someone. That's why Dys is always black and blue.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:53 pm
rog. Hows your circulation? you say youre diabetic . My wifes dad has peripheral artery disease and hes 80 something. Hes on a rat poison therapy for circulation. It can be a bitch getting the dose set right and Often when we go over and visit I check his arms and legs to see that the coumadin doesnt cause any sub-Q bleeding.

Peripheral artery disease has symptoms that include weakness and jitteriness in the legs. You really oughta see your doctor for a blood workup. Dont be a pussy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:17 pm
My last A1c was 6.1 if that gives you an indication of the condition regarding diabetes, farmerman. That comes from some diet and greatly increased exercise.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:30 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
At any age people should pay attention (listen) to their body. Not enough people do this. Soreness usually means sore muscles. Weakness means to me that I have depleted my energy.

Now I'm not a doctor, and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, but, I think you should rest and recoup your energy.

Didn't mean to ignore you, Angelique, but I can not afford to listen to my body. I didn't want to admit it, but right at the time I was reading your post, my body was whispering "Take one large pepperoni pizza, a long nap, and call me in the morning."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
mmmmmmmmm

pepperoni

Cool
0 Replies