A'm all tuckered out

roger

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:08 pm
So, I ride my bike to work a couple of days a week. When I don't, I take a quick ride at lunch, and a longer one in the evening. Now, when I ride to work, my legs feel weak (not sore) the next day, and performance is off. What to do? Should I keep up the pace and hope it gets better, or lay off entirely the next day to recouperate? For those who don't know me, I'm 61 years old, if that makes a difference in the advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,568 • Replies: 42
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 01:50 am
At any age people should pay attention (listen) to their body. Not enough people do this. Soreness usually means sore muscles. Weakness means to me that I have depleted my energy.

Now I'm not a doctor, and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, but, I think you should rest and recoup your energy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
Roger--

I'm with AE--rest, recoup and rebound.

Could you be fighting off some sort of infection?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:11 am
I would consult with my doctor. Just riding a bike shouldn't make you feel that way.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:33 am
How's your diet and water intake?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
Fine. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:43 am
Because I care Gus....because....

I care.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:50 am
I'm going outside to cry now.

Excuse me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
I've noticed, especially when taking my meds post stroke, that the diuretic to counter-act some of the effects of the blood pressure meds makes me have to get up often in the middle of the night to pee. After doing so I usually feel tired and go right back to bed. Should I take up bike riding?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:56 am
Water intake is good. Diet is kind of so-so. Paying attention to the carbs on account of the diabetes, but not a low carb diet. Anyway, weight is stable and towards the low end of the overweight range. I'm not starving, and don't let myself get famished.

Please don't say more leafy green vegetables.

I don't think I'm dealing with any sort of infection, Noddy. When I start coming down with something, I tend to oversleep in the morning and feel rundown. This is more a weak or rubbery feeling in the legs - like I would expect when just getting off the bike.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 07:56 am
Diane would be pissed to see that bike in the bed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Diane would be pissed to see that bike in the bed.

Nah, she got over finding the platypus in bed. I don't think she would mind finding a bike. Probably just tell me to pedal my ass somewhere else.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
women
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:06 am
platypai
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:08 am
Let's call the whole thing off.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:14 am
I do not believe there has been a platypus in any of your beds!

Oy, my leggies did get all sore and such when I overdid the walking thing when I began walking to work...

Mebbe introduce it a little slower?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:16 am
You haul your ashes Gus, I'll haul mine.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:23 am
Actually, I was just about to do that very thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
Hang on, Dys. I'm still working my way through your first paragraph. That sounds like my blood pressure medication (Hyzaar), but I don't think I'm within a country mile of being dehydrated - just in case that's where you're going with this.

That might be all it is, Deb, as I went through the same thing when I started walking a couple of years ago. There were days when I had to count cadence and force one foot in front of the other. I had sore feet and legs after walking a route about a third of what I walk now. So, I'm hoping it's the same kind of thing, and I can just push my way through it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
There. I think dlowan has pretty well defined my question.
0 Replies