The Importance of Being Oprah

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 02:53 pm
Reading through the link above (it's long! and for something literary, the grammar is awful, particularly use of parentheses), agree with some parts, disagree with others, but this seems kind of pertinent to the discussion and I mostly agree with it:

Quote:
[re: Oprah's statement, above]
It is a curious (and presumptive) way of disinviting someone, as if Franzen himself declined to appear. However "uncomfortable and conflicted" Franzen might have been, he had jumped through all the Oprah-hoops and gone along with everything in preparing for the show. It appears that if it had been up to him, he would have gone through with it. Oprah decided -- well within her rights -- otherwise.

Oprah can, of course, do anything she wants on her show -- and invite and disinvite anyone she wants, for any reason. Still, her decision seems unfortunate -- and the way she did it hardly less tactful than many of Franzen's remarks.

Franzen had made some injudicious remarks -- about corporate logos and high art and the like --, but mainly he had only raised questions about what it meant to be an Oprah selection (daring to suggest that it was not solely a boon). Oprah would have to be remarkably thin-skinned to be offended by these. More significantly: by having Franzen on the show she could have raised these issues and taken him to task. But constructive (or at least revelatory) argument isn't what Oprah wants; all she apparently wants is a nice sit-down dinner without any air of dissent.

Oprah stated: "It is never my intention to make anyone uncomfortable or cause anyone conflict." That is, in a way, nice. But art challenges conventions. Art calls things into question. Art stirs things up and makes us uncomfortable. Art thrives on conflict. To shy away from that so completely is to ignore the power of literature (and of Franzen's book), blunting its impact so that it is, indeed, seen as little more than harmless entertainment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
wow that paper sounds like my writing, lots of commas and dependent clauses(fully dependent not just half ass dependent) , and insertions from another plane. If ya needs it transl;ated , Im yer guy.

PS, I heard that whats is name, --Tom Croooze--- is gonna build a house next to Oprahs. Sounds like a full court on Oprah. She already got a gift of a Bentley from John Travolta. (Like she needs someone to buy her a Bentley).

I feel that the Scientologists, should they get Oprah into their lair, will have an instant source of credibility for their otherwise goofy belief. I wonder what the Scientologists have to say about Evolution v Creation, seeing as how they preach an alien life form is the god of their religion.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
Probably the Creation thing, but on another planet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
Interesting, Soz.

I would have thought that Oprah was about conflict, too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 07:08 am
Only if it's nice and uplifting at the end.

I think she was uncertain of the likelihood of upliftingness here -- or she figured the likelihood was dangerously low.

(I'm not, by the way, actively anti-Oprah -- there are things I like about her, aspects of the show that I think are cool. [Last I knew, used to catch one very occasionally but haven't in a good 5-6 years.] And she's certainly better than Springer or whatever.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
Good God, Sozobe. I've spent the last two day... no three days reading through that and I'm sure I ought to read it again to get it clear in my mind. I was astounded that they'd pick up on the poor expression right at the start... that/is, that/is. Acck.
Quote:
It's a bad thing that happened here, and people don't seem to realize how bad.
- Return to top of the page -

On 24 September came the announcement of the ultimate stamp of approval:...

...500,000 of which Jeff Seroy, FSG's publicist, attributes directly to Oprah." (Other sources give slightly different numbers....)

...Franzen apparently also expressed reservations and ambivalence about his book being chosen for Oprah's Book Club elsewhere.

...On 22 October Oprah Winfrey apparently disinvited...

On 14 November The Corrections won the National Book Award for Fiction. There was no appreciable increase (or decrease) of sales ...

I wondered here how his sales were. Still looking but thought this was interesting:

Quote:
Stephanie Levitz wrote a paper about it:
Columbia News Service
When Jonathan Franzen's novel "The Corrections" was selected by Oprah Winfrey's prestigious book club, he cut a deal with the talk show host. He would go along with the selection of his book -- but not the Oprah sticker.

"It's not a sticker, it's part of the cover," Franzen told a newspaper, "The Oregonian." "You can't take it off. I know it says Oprah's Book Club, but it's an implied endorsement, both for me and for her. The reason I got into this business is because I'm an independent writer, and I didn't want that corporate logo on my book."

To keep Franzen and Oprah happy, Farrar Straus Giroux, Franzen's publisher, agreed to affix the seal only to future editions of the book, and not immediately reissue hard covers with the bright orange "O," the tradition with an Oprah pick.

It was a choice that cost Franzen thousands of sales. According to Bookscan, a company that tracks book sales, one month after the Oprah hoopla, 26,000 labeled copies had been sold, compared with only 3,100 unlabeled ones. <large snip>

... "Everyone is an armchair jacket critic," said Meyer. "Trying to choose a jacket design for an author's book is like trying to pick a husband for their daughter. No one is ever good enough." <'nother snip>

... 1999 study from the Book Industry Study Group shows that cover art prompts the largest number of book purchases, proving what Meyer, Brenner and Gregory already knew.

People do judge books by their covers.

I vote the a2k book club (isn't there one somewhere?) reads the book. I'll bet there are a lot of copies floating around somewhere.

satirizes society's absurdities through the utterly dysfunctional, self-absorbed Lambert family.

Gary... grapples with manic depression and blames his problems on his controlling wife, who wants nothing more than to be a best friend ... spirals out of control when he gives up his dream ... to execute an Internet scam ... heads down a slippery slope in a destructive relationship.

... Franzen found himself in hot water after declining to appear on a book club segment of Oprah. He criticized her wildly popular club as lowbrow, forgetting that selection by Oprah virtually guarantees a sales increase of about a half-million copies. He also seemed ignorant to the fact that The Corrections is a perfect fit for Oprah's book club, which often features family sagas.

She still says nice stuff about the book here...
http://www.oprah.com/obc/pastbooks/jonathan_franzen/obc_20010914_about.jhtml

and here:
http://www.oprah.com/obc/omag/obc_omag_200109_c_books.jhtml
Quote:

I see she's announcing a new book in a couple of days... if she were as real as she ought to be, she'd forgive Franzen and ask him if he'd like to appear again. I wonder if he'd agree to it? He's drop-dead gorgeous, btw:

http://images.oprah.com/obc/omag/images/obc_o_200109_jfranzen_books.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
Hey, now that's a good idea! (Read it for A2K bookclub.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
I'd like to nominate ""The Trilobite- an eyewitness to evolution" as an A2K book club edition. its about Tommy the trilobite as he grows up and finds that hes dissatisfied just living in primordial oozes and scuttling along on cirripeds. So, in a fashion quite atypical for a paleoazoic arthropod, Tommy begins an adventure that carries him beyond the realms of his abyssal plain and into shallow neritic environments.
ITS A PAGE TURNER
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
I have always wanted a true psychological novel on the trilobite.

http://home.tiscalinet.ch/mb45090/Pict/TRILOBITE.JPG
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:17 am
There's a thought... Oprah ought do a show that explains and supports evolution. Maybe we'd get some sanity back in this country.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:54 am
Now, THERE would be something she could do to prove she is on the side of good!!!!!

Speaking of which, did anyone else see this? Heeheee.....

Penguin wars: French wildlife film sparks US religious skirmish Tue Sep 20,10:38 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - From the Pledge of Allegiance to abortion and the siting of stones inscribed with the Ten Commandments, secularists and the religious right have fought bruising battles for the American soul in recent years.

To this lengthening list, another can be added: the penguin.

The cause is a French wildlife documentary, "March of the Penguins", which has been the surprise blockbuster of the American movie summer.

The feature-length film by Luc Jacquet recounts the heroic life of the Emperor penguin, a species that battles against extraordinary conditions in Antarctica.

Blizzards, gales and a chill reaching to -40 degrees C (-40 degrees F) are only a few of the obstacles thrown in the penguins' way.

After laying their single eggs, the females trudge in single file to feeding grounds 110 kilometers (70 miles) from their breeding site.

For two months, the male sits on the egg to keep it warm and let the chick hatch, awaiting the return of the female bringing food for their offspring.

Only when the mother returns does the father then make his own trek to the distant coast to ease his own hunger.

Like audiences elsewhere, Americans have applauded this film, entranced by its photography and stunned by the flightless birds' epic fight.

But "March of the Penguins" has become more than a wildlife hit -- it is on track for becoming the most politically-contested movie in America since "Fahrenheit 9/11," Michael Moore's take on President George W. Bush's war on terror.

Little do they know it, but the penguins have been seized upon by conservative Christians as a parable of family virtues, a role model for men, an argument against abortion and convincing proof that Darwin was wrong.

The movie is "the motion picture this summer that most passionately affirms traditional norms like monogamy, sacrifice and child-rearing," film critic Michael Medved told The New York Times last week.

For devout Christians, he suggested, "This is the first movie they've enjoyed since 'The Passion of the Christ'. This is 'The Passion of the Penguins.'"

"March of the Penguins" has taken at least 37 million dollars, making it the most successful French film in America after the 66 million dollars reaped by Luc Besson's English-language sci-fi movie "The Fifth Element" in 1997.

One Christian organisation, the 153 House Churches Network, raves over the film as proof of the glory of God. It is organising workshops in which families are invited to homes and cinemas to see the film.

Christians can be inspired by exemplary "dedication, cooperation and affection" between the mating penguins and the loyalty and perseverance of the father, says Mari Helms, reviewing the movie on www.christiananswers.net.

Rich Lowry, editor of the right-wing publication the National Review, urged young conservatives to check out the documentary.

"It is an amazing movie. And I have to say, penguins are the really ideal example of monogamy," he said last month.

Anti-abortionist campaigner Jill Stanek says the nurturing penguins were a stinging lesson to women who contemplated a pregnancy termination.

"I remembered last year's March for Women's Lives in Washington, DC, when pro-aborts gathered to bolster their right to kill babies," says Stanek, in a column on WorldNetDdaily.com. "I thought maybe a penguin movie analogy would help people understand."

Secularists point out that emperor penguins have a freewheeling sexual life and that homosexuality among penguin species is quite common.

"These penguins get around. They switch mates with each new mating season, which makes for some pretty slutty birds -- and change the operative question from 'What Would Jesus Do?' to 'Who Would Jesus Do?'" notes Sheerly Avni on http://www.alternet.org.

A deeper question is whether the penguins survive as a result of evolutionary pressure or divine will.

"It is hard not to see the theological overtones in the movie... Beauty, goodness, love and devotion are all part of nature, built into the DNA of the universe," said Maggie Gallagher, a columnist with yahoo.news.

But, Washington Post columnist George Will asked, "If an Intelligent Designer designed nature, why did it decide to make breeding so tedious for those penguins?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050920/ennew_afp/usanimalspenguins

You hafta laugh.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:36 am
Oh good grief!

I mean, "The Passion of the Penguins"????????????????

I am loving Piffka's idea, let's start a letter-writing campaign or something. Seriously.

Meanwhile:

Oprah Stuns Audience With Free Man Giveaway

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Oprah-Gives-C.article.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:39 am
Oh dear...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:09 am
I'm quite impressed with Oprah.

A woman who's made herself into an American icon, and yet has retained her passion and compassion.

I'd love to see her run for office.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:13 am
Tedious breeding ... snort.

I'm trying to remember what Kurt Vonnegut said last week on TV. It was something about the subtle intelligent design of giraffes, hippos and the clap. The Evolution House at the Royal Gardens of Kew could never be built here, today, in this political climate, more's the pity. This dumbing down of America by our ruling party -- I just don't get.

Sozobe -- Amazing Amazon has hardbound Jonathan Franzen books for 12 cents, but I'd be pleased to read Tommy, too. The Franzen is my own worst nightmare -- a mother coping with her own dear husband -- in difficulties -- while she tries to deal with grown-up children; and, given that this story is written by a male, probably NOT succeeding.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
I want to write that letter to Oprah!

Shall we do it here or shall I open a new thread?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
Open a thread, Soz.

Does someone else want to defend the penguins right not to be sexually stereotyped?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:20 pm
Lol, here, there, I have no care!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:34 pm
Here we go:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60054
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
Dlowan--

Quote:
Lol, here, there, I have no care!

Watch out. Your karma may result in you hiking 70 miles in the Name of Someone Else's Symbolism.
0 Replies