No Smoking in NY Eateries? Put some Tobacco in Your Soup!

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 02:28 pm
Pretty clever, those New Yorkers. To get around a tough new No Smoking ban in New York restaurants, a restauranteur has found a way to incorporate tobacco in a number of the eatery's dishes.

Quote:
Eatery Offers Menu for Tobacco-Deprived
Thu April 3, 2003 07:48 AM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York restaurant has cooked up a way to beat the city's tough new anti-tobacco ban.
The Italian restaurant Serafina Sandro unveiled a "Tobacco Special" menu on Wednesday, with such delicacies as gnocchi made with tobacco and filet mignon in a tobacco-wine sauce, garnished with dried tobacco.
Tobacco panna cotta -- an Italian cooked cream dish -- is available for dessert, followed by a strong glass of tobacco-infused grappa.
"I never thought tobacco would taste so good," said the restaurant's co-owner Fabio Granato of the rich tobacco flavor. "It tastes better than smoking."
His partner Vittorio Assaf said he tips his hat to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who pushed through the tough anti-smoking bill that took effect last Sunday, for his inspiration.
Under the new law, cigarettes and cigars are barred from almost every bar and restaurant in the city. It aims to protect workers in the 13,000 bars and restaurants that have allowed smoking.
"Bravo Bloomberg," he said. "It took Mayor Bloomberg to make us finally cook with tobacco in the kitchen. It's the invention of a new spice into the cuisine."
The tobacco recipes were the brainchild of chef Sandro Fioriti, a cigar smoker who mused "maybe a little more tobacco" as he sampled the panna cotta.
He's been testing the recipes on friends and staff for two months, he said. A lobster and shrimp salad with tobacco is in the works, while a salmon wrapped in tobacco leaves was rejected as too strong, he said.
Serafina Sandro isn't the only place aiming to placate tobacco-starved customers. The World Bar at Trump World Tower has introduced what it calls a smokeless Manhattan cocktail touted to taste like a cigarette.
Some bar owners are resorting to handing out pieces of nicotine chewing gum, and the city's Health Department announced it is offering free nicotine patches to the first 35,000 smokers who call a telephone hotline designed to help smokers quit.

Link to Tobacco Laden Food

Would you like to eat something that was flavored with tobacco?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,961 • Replies: 6
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:20 pm
Next step for trouble...Is raw tobacco carcinogenic?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:27 pm
Phoenix - I love it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:31 pm
New Haven - Hmm....Interesting. Chewing tobacco isn't smoked, and there is a correlation with it and mouth cancer, but in the case of chewing, the tobacco lies directly against the tissues of the mouth:

Link to chewing tobacco

What we don't know is how tobacco will react in the esophagus, stomach and colon. Looks like we are going to find out in a few years!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:34 pm
Lip and inner cheek cancer are two possibilities.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:07 pm
I think you'd have to eat tobacco in the same quantities that you smoke/chew it. Like every meal every day and then as snacks in between for it to have a serious side effect on you. Just my guess.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:49 pm
There is something else going on here regarding this whole tobacco issue and the twist (of food) it has taken in New York city.

And it is this:

The element of.....cool!

You would never, ever in a million years see this tobacco "menu", in Mason City , Iowa.

Smoking cigarettes is an addiction everywhere. No doubt, about it!

But smoking cigarettes in cosmopolitan cities worldwide, is not only an addiction, but it is also a "fashion statement".

"Here I am! Look at me. I am cool and hip and .... I am with it"!

Only in New York.....or L.A.........or Cannes....or wherever else people are "looking at.....me", is smoking more than an addiction, but also an inclusion into a world of........ magazines.....movies....chic......the past......inclusion.

There is something else going on here.
0 Replies