Rock Star: INXS

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:02 pm
I've been watching the show and enjoying it. I don't know much about INXS. From what I understand, their lead singer died (mysteriously--possibly suicide or accident)--a decade ago? The band is NOW? trying to find a replacement singer? (What took them so long?)

My honey and I admire the final contestants--all of them.

Marty
J.D.
Susie
Mig
Jordis

You know . . . Jordis has an amazing voice. I wasn't thrilled with some of the songs that she was required to sing because those songs didn't fit her voice. But when she was given the right songs . . . I could have listened to her sing the song over and over again. AMAZING.

She wasn't "right" for INXS . . . but, in many ways . . . I thought she was TOO GOOD for the band. I think she will excel in a solo artist career where she can choose the songs that fit her special voice . . . not some rock band. Therefore, I was not sad when Jordis lost last week.

Gosh . . . the remaining four contestants are also amazing. In a way, maybe they're too good for INXS too . . . LOL. Probably the best fit for the band is . . . Marty?

What do you think?

Another singer will leave tonight and we will be left with the final three. I have a feeling that Mig will leave . . . but I can't be sure. Mig is JUST TOO NICE of a person . . . and I don't think INXS is looking for NICE.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 18
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:05 pm
Mitchell Hutchence committed suicide, yep. I liked them when they were big in the late 80's -- "I Need You Tonight" was a good song.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:53 pm
Debra

You honestly weren't exposed to the full horror of the very public Michael Hutchence/Paula Yates/Bob Geldoff saga? That's amazing. Surprised Perhaps you're fortunate, even. We got to know far, far too much about the whole sorry mess. Tragic.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:55 pm
Michael, not Mitchell, sorry...

I knew about it but it wasn't a huge deal here, I don't think...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:58 pm
A while back I was talking to my friend (that was in the movie RockStar and is in Alter Bridge) what you thought and well let's say he's about as passionate about liking it as some are against Reality TV.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
It was huge in Oz (Michael Hutchence was Australian) & in the UK, soz. Every sordid detail was revealed. Kept the tabloids busy for months. Yuck!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
msolga wrote:
Debra

You honestly weren't exposed to the full horror of the very public Michael Hutchence/Paula Yates/Bob Geldoff saga? That's amazing. Surprised Perhaps you're fortunate, even. We got to know far, far too much about the whole sorry mess. Tragic.

No . . . totally unaware . . . where was I when all that happened? LOL I never took much interest in the music industry. My honey and I don't own a stereo . . . we don't own any cassette tapes or CDs . . . but we do listen to music on the radio (in the car, LOL) and watch American Idol and Rock Star INXS.

I did, however, vow to support JORDIS and buy her CD when she launches her solo career.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:23 pm
He supposedly died during a sex act involving asphyxiation. I guess he pretty much came and went at the same time.

I sort of like this show too. I also think Marty, or maybe JD could be good as lead singers. The only problem is that the show's prize is to be the lead singer of a band that nobody cares about anymore. Not much of a prize, when it's obvious that they all have some serious talent. But I guess it's better than being unknown.

The only one I sort of have a small problem with is Mig. I think he has sung far too many sappy ballads, and something about him seems a little bit phony to me, compared to the others. As far as being a real rocker with attitude, JD is da man. But Marty is also excellent. I loved both of the songs that they wrote, "Pretty Vegas" and "Trees".

I'm actually surprised that I like this show. I usually can't stand shows that try to manufacture fame like this, but that band that they have backing them all is excellent, the singers are all very good, and the songs they've been doing are some of my all-time favorites.

It'll be interesting to see who wins.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
Debra

If you're interested there must be a ton of links to be found by Googling. You have indeed lived a very sheltered life! Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:28 pm
MARTY!

MARTY!

MARTY!

MARTY!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:42 pm
I like Marty! He's his own man . . . a good team-player . . . but not really kissing INXS's butt to get the job.

On the other hand, J.D. is a major butt-kisser. LOL

Mig reminds me of Elton John. I don't know why, but I just "get" that kind of feeling from him.

Susie? Love her voice--but I don't think it's her destiny to lead a rock band.

I agree with Kicky. The prize ain't so great, but at least these talented people are getting some major exposure.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:17 pm
Ooh, it just started and JD and Marty just did encore versions of their originals. Cool. I can't decide which song I like more. Pretty cool.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
P.S. Is it just me, or does that Marty guy have a David Bowie thing going on?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:27 pm
So who was "not right for the band" tonight . I'm guessing Suzie.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:29 pm
That would be correct, GW. How'd you know?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:34 pm
I saw the first part of the show and they seemed to be extra nice to Susie, sort of a sympathy butter up. The band & Dave seemed to know already she had an X thru her face. (I guess I can admit I didn't hit the VCR time thingy correctly or I would know what happend in the last 10 minutes of the show.)
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:12 pm
I LOVED them all tonight! Amazing talent--all of them.

No surprise. Marty was number 1.

Bottom 3: Susie, J.D., Mig

I was worried for Mig since this was his first time in the bottom three. But there was no need to worry. He tore up the stage not to mention his shirt! He had energy and passion. I would love to watch that performance again.

INXS said good-bye to Susie. It shouldn't be long before she has a recording contract.

Did I understand correctly: all three of the finalists win a car? GOOD FOR THEM!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:14 pm
One thing I know for sure...Mig will NOT win.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:36 pm
It will probably break his heart to lose, but I believe the world has better things in store for Mig.

It's toss up between Marty and JD. Marty is genuine, sincere, talented, and hard working and I believe he would make an excellent addition to the band--and the band would be lucky to get him. If INXS simply wants a front man that they can control, mold, and manipulate, Marty is not their man.

JD has that "bad boy" edge that they seem to want; he has an excellent voice and showmanship; and he can probably be "molded" into what INXS wants him to be. However, JD got tired of being an Elvis impersonator and having everyone want him to "play" Elvis for them. History repeats itself: JD wants the job so bad, he's probably willing to "play" any role that INXS wants him to play. I think his insecurity makes him insincere to others by telling people what they want to hear and untrue to himself. It's just my impression, but I think JD has a long way to go before he becomes his own man.
0 Replies