The Best Film Song (Or Theme)

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
What do you think is the best film song or theme, I think 'The Life Of Brain's song 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' is one of the best songs. Monty Python are great at comedy and if you haven't seen I highly recommend you watch it! It's fantasticlly funny, you'll be in a fit after the film, they made quite alot I know but still watch anyone of them and you'll love Monty Python. Very Happy

What do you reckon is the best song or theme from films?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,054 • Replies: 52
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
gotta love rocky...i used to listen to it before i swam...
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:44 pm
Over the Rainbow from Wizard of Oz is hard to top, i think. incidentally, the late Hawaiian singer Israel Kamakawiwo'ole had a fabulous recording that was used in several films, such as Finding Forrester and i think Mighty Joe Young.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:55 pm
The theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is awfully good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
I always wondered if "awfully good" is the classic oxymoron.

The theme song from "Arthur."

"The Green Leaves from Summer" from the bloated but entertaining John Wayne epic "The Alamo."

The James Bond movies, especially the theme from "From Russia With Love" and "The Spy Who Loved Me."

The title theme from "King's Row."

The title theme from "All About Eve."

"Once You Wish Upon a Star" from "Pinnochio."

The "raising" theme from "Raise the Titanic."

The flying theme from "The Blue Max."

Title theme from "Jurrasic Park."

And, as far as Spielberg and Williams, the title theme from "Jaws" and "Raiders of the Ark."

Williams, the main theme from "Star Wars" and "Superman."

So many more and not enough time to list them all.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:39 am
I dont know about in the film because I haven't seen it, but I have an orchestral version of the theme from the film "Summer of 42" and it is absolutely fantastic
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:54 am
For me it will always be 'Laura' from Laura. Basically, a B-movie with a theme song that has become a classic and a jazz standard. I have a CD with Charlie Parker playing it. Timeless.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
Hear hear for "Always look on the bright side of life" (You know they sang it at Graham's funeral!)

Some others from my recollection.

- The theme from Soldaat van Oranje composed by Rogier van Otterloo
- Ryuichi Sakamoto's theme from Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
- The music by Michel Legrand, Francis Lai and Piere Barouh (and Ravel) for Les Uns et Les Autres
- The score by Francis Lai for Bilitis
- Ennio Morricones score for Once upon a Time in the West

But I also liked the theme from Out of Africa and sooo many others! In fact the only film/TV music that I specificly did not like was the theme for Twin Peaks; it made me nervous.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
I've always loved the theme from The Third Man.
Who knew a zither could be so cool ?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
I think David Lean composed some of the best movie "theme music" of all time.

The two best examples, IMO, are "Laura's Theme" a.k.a. "Somewhere My Love" from Dr. Zhivago, as well as the beautiful, haunting music in Ryan's Daughter.

And how about the music from "The Godfather" -- which I believe was composed by Coppola...?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:58 am
Time of my Life from Dirty Dancing(which ive never seen)
The John Dunbar theme music from Dances with Wolves is gorgeous.
Everybodys talkin at me, Midnight Cowboy
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:51 am
Re: The Best Film Song (Or Theme)
music-lover wrote:
What do you think is the best film song or theme, I think 'The Life Of Brain's song 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' is one of the best songs. Monty Python are great at comedy and if you haven't seen I highly recommend you watch it! It's fantasticlly funny, you'll be in a fit after the film, they made quite alot I know but still watch anyone of them and you'll love Monty Python. Very Happy

What do you reckon is the best song or theme from films?

i think Over the Rainbow
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:26 am
The theme for 'The good, the bad, and the ugly'
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:01 am
Stray Cat wrote:
And how about the music from "The Godfather" -- which I believe was composed by Coppola...?

Coppola, yes, but the composer is Carmine Coppola, father of Francis Ford.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:05 am
When we went to see "Mission Impossible" a few years ago, the audience, myself included, gave a standing ovation for the theme song. It sounded sooooooooo good, blasting through the theatre speakers. Very different from hearing it at home on the tv show.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:08 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
For me it will always be 'Laura' from Laura. Basically, a B-movie with a theme song that has become a classic and a jazz standard. I have a CD with Charlie Parker playing it. Timeless.

Isn't that on the "Charlie Parker with Strings" album? I'll have to find my CD.

As far as jazz themes, "The Man With the Golden Arm" and "Body Heat" are hot. I know it's TV, but also "Peter Gun" and it's predecessor by Mancini, "Touch of Evil," which also has Mexican pop music accenting many of the scenes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:12 am
Speed Racer
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Quote:
One of the most memorable components of the film Breakfast at Tiffany's is the extraordinary music composed by Henry Mancini. The film's theme song, Moon River

I like just about all movie themes songs...some memorable ones are The Godfather Suite, Braveheart and theme from A Summer Place.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:38 pm
Anything by Mancini was memorable.

LW, yes, I think that's where the cut originally comes from. I have it on a two-CD anthology set called Charlie Parker: the Verve Years.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:30 pm
Parker was criticized for "selling out" to the pop genre with "Parker with Strings," but it never bothered me anymore than the George Shearing albums. Still love them all, especially Shearing's latin albums.
0 Replies