Arguments for religion

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
LOL. Dys, trust me, I am not hellbent on saving your soul. That's not within my authority. I do understand about the arguments between religions. That's because they all want to be right. Well, we can't all be right. And, as far, as I am concerned, that's not what Christianity is supposed to be about.

Christians are supposed to spread the work of Jesus, yes, but, if we are met with resistance we are to stop. Forcing someone to believe is impossible. Whether some do this out of zealousness or for the actual fear of someone's soul, it is still wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
Yeah well zealotry or fear, what it comes down to is who do I need to keep an eye out for, A Presber, a Methodist, a Mormon, a snake handler, a Baptist or jerry falwell? Every damn one of them has a rock in his pocket and his more than willing to toss it at this pagan's head, (in jesus name of course)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Yeah well zealotry or fear, what it comes down to is who do I need to keep an eye out for, A Presber, a Methodist, a Mormon, a snake handler, a Baptist or jerry falwell? Every damn one of them has a rock in his pocket and his more than willing to toss it at this pagan's head, (in jesus name of course)

Dys, I have no stones to throw at you.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:02 pm
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:17 pm
Arguments for Religion.

1.Getting men to kill other men claiming it's God will when it's man's will (when it come to man killing another man nothing, I say nothing works better then God)

2. Winning Elections, People don't want to go to hell so they trade there brains in for a ticket to heaven. When God says vote for this man. Don't think about it just do what god says. (you know what happens if you make god mad. Remeber whats important. YOUR OWN SOUL. F**k everyone else.

3. Making money, Self righteousness, Condemnation, Doing bad things and still feeling good.

GOD IS POWER

POWER IS EVERYTHING
0 Replies

Atom

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:16 am
well, i havent been online for a long time and now im back to check how my little thread is doing. The whole purpose of this thread was to gather up some of the things that religious people say to defend their faith. It was my friends idea (he's a jahovas witness). He told me to say all the stuff I said because thats all the kind of stuff that gets religious people going. it would seem that it worked quite well. Thanks alot everyone for all your points (except amigo's last post, what the hell is that?)

Now i need to say a bunch of stuff that i believe...

Firsty i think that the theory of evolution, although incomplete, still provides some evidence against the existance of god. yes it has its holes (like how could evolution form the human eye?) but parts of it have been proven beyond doubt. Like micro evolution (germs evolving to resist pesticides and antibiotics, like MRSA), and we have proven that 98% of human dna matches that of chimp dna. There are many other aspects aswell, that hve their holes, but still, are more complete evidence than just "i believe god made us". I mean, how come we arent all mutant freaks?, if adam and eve bred to form all of humanity, then we are all inbred, their children will have bred and so on.

Also, if we were made by an intellegent designer, why are we so messed up?, we have miles of junk DNA and a crappy appendix that we dont need (a bit more evolutionary evidence for you there). Also, why would god make moles blind, then give them eyes?, why give flightless birds wings?, there are loads of questions such as these which provide us with more clear cut evidence against the existance of god.

Also, the big bang IS scientifically proven, we have seen it happeneing (looking way far away with a telescope to "see back in time", there is also red shift.

Also, all the religions cant be right, so AT LEAST all but one of the religions are wrong, probably all.

All religious scripts were written way back in time, when the king or whatever would just say "put this down and the people will believe it OR ELSE"
so they will all be biased, and even if this isnt the case, they are all written based on mere speculation, people shouldnt take them seriously. Religious people take shots at "the origin of species" and call it "questioning", if i take a shot at the Torah i get called a racist, what kind of foolishness is that?, what are they scared i could prove that their religion is all a waste of time?

I think thats about it...

Oh yeah, what the hell is that last post all about?, suppose there is a god, he wont take you into "heaven" with that kind of attitude. Its like "lets kill people and feel good about it, then say i did it for god and he'll take me to heaven. What a load of bull. Thats like what those moron islam extremeists think. I believe that anyone who thinks that you can blow yourself up, taking hundreds of people into death with you is good, should be executed.

Thats another reason why i hate religion. People have been killing each other over religion throughout history. If there was no religion in the first place, we would all be ok. Religion spawns stupid ideology, like that of muslim extremeists, everyone should kill them all, they are a danger to mankind, we cant have a bunch of loonatics on the loose who think that suicide bobming is "holy". They will kill us all if we dont stop them. Remember, they are fanatically religious, so will die for their cause. An enemy who does not fear death is very dangerous.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:27 am
Atom wrote:
Now i need to say a bunch of stuff that i believe...

Firsty i think that the theory of evolution, although incomplete, still provides some evidence against the existance of god.

I have all sorts of problems with the notion of Intelligent Design...but I certainly disagree with this notion.

How can you possibly content that the "theory of evolution" provides "evidence against the existence of god?"

I think the entire basis for the notion of "Intelligent Design" is absurd...but I certainly do not see anything in the notion that provides even the remotes evidence against the existence of gods.
0 Replies

Atom

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 09:58 am
It does so...
The theory of evolution does provide us with SOME evidence against the existence of god. We can prove that we are related to chimps and therefore we are not some special unique race, as religion sugests we are. The other bits of the theory give us more of these little bits of evidence.

The creation theory is bull anyway. How can chinese and black people come from adam and eve?, if it started with just those two, then only one race of people would exist on earth. This ten throws up the questions of incest etc....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 10:03 am
Atom,

You would much prefer you are related to a chimp than created by God? Is it maybe that is because it would be easier to live up to the standards of a chimp than it would be to live up to the standards set forth by God?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
Re: It does so...
Atom wrote:
The theory of evolution does provide us with SOME evidence against the existence of god. We can prove that we are related to chimps and therefore we are not some special unique race, as religion sugests we are. The other bits of the theory give us more of these little bits of evidence.

Try to be reasonable, Atom...and don't just jump to conclusions in order to preserve some "belief" you have.

The theory of evolution DOES NOT PROVIDE us with ANY evidence against the existence of god.

We can be related to chimps...and "not be a unique race"...and still there could be a god.

There is absolutely nothing to prevent a GOD from creating a universe and then allowing natural selection...including decent of a superior species from lower ones...to happen.

If you actually meant to say that the theory of evolution provides some evidence against the silly creation fairytale told in the Bible...and by inference against the cartoon god contained in that book...I would agree.

But that is not what you said.

Quote:
The creation theory is bull anyway. How can chinese and black people come from adam and eve?, if it started with just those two, then only one race of people would exist on earth. This ten throws up the questions of incest etc....

Whatever!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:24 pm
Atom wrote:
yes it has its holes (like how could evolution form the human eye?)

That is not much of a hole. You need a better example.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/l_011_01.html
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Atom,

You would much prefer you are related to a chimp than created by God? Is it maybe that is because it would be easier to live up to the standards of a chimp than it would be to live up to the standards set forth by God?

I am not too familiar with the standards of a chimp. Do chimps do slavery? The standards of Biblegod however, are being rapidly improved upon in most civilized societies.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:48 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Atom,

I am not too familiar with the standards of a chimp. Do chimps dp slavery? The standards of Biblegod however, are being rapidly improved upon in most civilized societies.

Improved upon? I see. That's why we have so many children shooting up schools, serial killers, pedophiles, mass murders, etc.? Because the standards of God have been improved upon by most civilized societies?

You obviously do not watch Maury.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Atom,

I am not too familiar with the standards of a chimp. Do chimps dp slavery? The standards of Biblegod however, are being rapidly improved upon in most civilized societies.

Improved upon? I see. That's why we have so many children shooting up schools, serial killers, pedophiles, mass murders, etc.? Because the standards of God have been improved upon by most civilized societies?

MA...if it is the "standards" of the god of the Bible to which you refer...I call to your attention that the god of the Bible is itself a serial killer...and, according to the fairytale contained in that book, has killed innocent children regularly.

Quote:

Just as obviously you have not read Genesis or Exodus...or you would know this.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Atom,

You are confusing lawbreakers with standards (laws). Improvements are such things as slavery being outlawed, stoning to death disobedient children no longer condoned, etc.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
has killed innocent children regularly

I thought we were back in the abortion thread for a minute there....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
has killed innocent children regularly

I thought we were back in the abortion thread for a minute there....

Nope.

We're right here discussing the killing of children...according to the fairytale...live children. And the god of the Bible, according to the fairytale, killed them...although "slaughtered them" probably does more justice to what we are talking about.

The abortion thread deals with terminating a pregnancy...not killing babies. That is the kind of thing the god of the Bible does...not an abortionist.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:44 pm
You sure do get hung up in the Old Testament, Frank Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
Intrepid wrote:

I am beginning to think that Frank and others don't even know there is a New Testament and what that New Testament is all about.

Let's make it really simple. Let's just say that the rules are The Beatitudes. Now, if everyone lived by the Beatitudes, do you really think we would have all these school killings, serial killers, mass murderers, etc.? Let's not even talk about God or Jesus Christ. Just the Beatitudes?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:56 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Yep.

It may be a coincidence, Intrepid...but Jesus did also.

So much so...that I sometimes wonder why Christians try to distance themselves from it.

On a personal note...my heart goes out to you on your terrible loss, Intrepid. I am not a parent myself, so I guess I truly cannot KNOW what it is like to lose...or fear the loss...of a child or a grandchild. But I can get a sense of it...and I cannot think of ANYTHING that could cause more heartbreak.

Peace to you and your family, worthy adversary.
0 Replies