Don't come to Australia and preach peace

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:34 am
dlowan wrote:
Has your forum access problem been sorted, GF?

So far so good....looks like it might have settled a bit....bloody sunspot activity no doubt Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 03:56 am
Last Update: Thursday, September 22, 2005. 7:20pm (AEST)

Deported activist denies violent protest report

Deported activist Scott Parkin has again denied accusations that he was engaged in promoting violent methods of protest during his time in Australia.

A story in the Australian newspaper today claimed that intelligence agency ASIO had information suggesting Mr Parkin held seminars canvassing methods such as throwing marbles under police horses to bring them down.

The story also said ASIO was concerned about Mr Parkin's teaching tactics involving the use of force to free protesters from police custody.

But Mr Parkin insists he never supported violent protest.

"Absolutely not, I never did do that or never planned to do that," he said.

"I think the whole thing about breaking people away who are in police custody, I actually got up at different seminars during the Forbes conference in Sydney [and said] that I think it's a bad idea because it leads to things like assault, on a police officer, charges."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1466530.htm

Rolling Eyes Even if he HAD "held seminars canvassing methods such as throwing marbles under police horses to bring them down", surely this is nothing new? (I'm not claiming it's OK to do this.) And if this is all it has been alleged he has done, well, what an over-reaction!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:25 am
Ruddock concerned over activist leak
September 22, 2005 - 3:33PM/the AGE

Federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock says he needs evidence that the reasons for deporting American political activist Scott Parkin were leaked from ASIO.

But he said any leak of information from ASIO was a serious issue.

The Australian newspaper today reported that ASIO believed Mr Parkin had been planning to teach local demonstrators tactics including throwing marbles in front of police horses, and freeing protesters from police custody.... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ruddock-concerned-over-activist-leak/2005/09/22/1126982167794.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:37 am
Yep, marbles used in the sixties.

Good grief...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:51 am
This little web is getting rather more tangled, yes? :wink:
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:33 pm
If that's all he had then he's a fraud.

The marbles thing has been used for years, I reckon it was around in the 1930s or before. Anyway it's a stupid tactic. Gets human and beast hurt and public outraged. As for the other one I read, that he was training people to free arrested persons from the police, give me a break. That's been happening as long as coppers have been collaring people. Crumbs it's happened to me often and enough in the past and it doesn't require any particular art.

This reeks of a fit-up against Parkin.

And this "leak" is the feds at it again. They're using their Murdoch mouthpieces to smear Parkin and to attempt to justify their actions. I'll be interested to see what comes out of the AAT. I'm starting to get the feeling that perhaps there's a bit of panic going on here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:49 pm
Sounds like real trained dog behaviour.

Damn Howardinc.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:54 am
goodfielder wrote:
If that's all he had then he's a fraud.

I was listening to my local ABC radio again this morning & the (local) organizer of the planned seminar denied that there was any intention to discuss tactics like the "marbles" one mentioned in the Australian newspaper. Nothing at all like that was on the agenda, apparently. (The author of the article in the Australian was Greg Sheridan, by the way.)

Jon Faine suggested that Scott Parkin & his fellow organizer (sorry, forgotten his name) could sue the Australian for defamation, for asserting that they were men of violence, not peace.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:59 am
Sheridan and Milne. I give them no credence.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:07 am
The famous Milne!

Apparently John Howard refused to specify the reasons for Parkin's deportation when asked, a day or so before day before this supposed leak. I don't like this at all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
Last Update: Friday, September 23, 2005. 3:13pm (AEST)

Charges should be laid over Parkin leak, Brown says

Greens Senator Bob Brown is calling for police to charge those he says were responsible for leaking intelligence information about US peace activist Scott Parkin to a national newspaper.

.... Senator Brown says he was refused details about Mr Parkin's arrest before the activist was deported as a threat to national security.

...."The leaking of the information to the Australian newspaper is illegal," he said.

"It requires police action and charges to be laid."

Senator Brown is demanding to know why he was denied a briefing on the reasons for Mr Parkin's arrest and says the Government should be made accountable.

"I'll be moving in the Senate, when we return in a week's time, for an inquiry into how the Government and ASIO got it so wrong with Scott Parkin, who was under false allegations, gossip from somewhere, arrested and deported from this country on charges that are simply untrue," he said.

Senator Brown says Mr Parkin should be compensated, his visa returned, and the Prime Minister should apologise for what Senator Brown says was a grave miscarriage of justice.

The Greens leader is also writing to the inspector-general of Intelligence and Security.

"I want to know why I wasn't briefed on it when I asked," he said.

"It's patently obvious now because I'd have analysed this and without going into details put a very different, come to a very different [conclusion] to the Labor leaders who failed in their duty to analyse the information they were getting and make an independent judgement on it."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1467224.htm
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
as I remember the sign it read

ammended

No Parkin
Only Fruitcake
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:19 pm
This appears to be blowing up nicely in the Libs' faces!

I do so hope they get creamed over this, and refrain from such 1984 tactics again.

This terror stuff is just made for governments to do what they wish in secret...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:22 am
The Oz government is controlled in Washington...period. He was deported because Howard received orders from his controllers.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:26 am
"Bomber Jacket John" takes his orders from Bush. The recent meeting in South Korea was instructive, just for the body language alone.
0 Replies