HBO's ROME, Stylish and Authentic Looking

Brand X

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:18 pm
I find the show a bit too much like a soap opera at times, and the language and gestures too modern which takes away from the feel of the era...or what I would percieve it to be.

The acting and characters are top notch.

Still longing for Deadwood.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:45 pm
When Vorenus & Pulo first washed up on shore, I thought everything would be all right....

Then when the camera pulled back and showed they were on just a tiny spit of land, I literally gasped!

I don't think it's like a soap opera, I think it's just the high emotive culture of Romans and Italians. I'm surprised things are as calm as they are at Niobe and Vorenus house.

The guide for Pompey Magnus when they were on the lam? The one with no nose?
He was fabulous. The conversation he had w/ V&P was priceless.

I know what you mean Frank, I don't crave this show as much as you do, but there have been shows, like some seasons of the Sopranos, where it'll be the middle of the day and I'll start wondering what so-and-so it going to do.......

WWTD?

Oh God, one time my best friend (who loves the Sopranos just as much) called me when the Sopranos was on.....I just about had a stroke.

me: THE SOPRANOS IS ON!!!

craig: OH F*CK!!!!!

<Phone getting slammed down>!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
It sure skidded up to the assassination of Pompeii on the shores of Egypt in a wink.

Not written at all like a soap opera -- the epic historical story is only punctuated by some individual personal stories. The stories, for me, play like I would imagine people in that ancient time and people haven't changed that much, just technology. The goverment isn't all that far off from our own. Marc Antony suggests a public referendum if the new leader of the senate won't get legislation passed. Now where in California have I heard that one!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:03 pm
The show is superb.

The characters are enchanting.

I probably am prejudice in favor of it as much as I am because I have always been such a huge fan of Roman history...

...but it is superb nonetheless.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:31 pm
I agree -- the production design is artistically realized as if inspired by the frescos of Pompeii.
It's intelligently written and I'm riveted to every line. The two finding Pompeii in his escape was filled with suspense and intrigue. Caeser allows Vorenus to make a mistake in showing compassion for the enemy was a highpoint of the series.

Now we get to meet their version of the Ptolemy's and Cleopatra. Can't wait.

Yes, still can't also wait for the return of "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood," but "Rome" has also exceeded my ecpectations.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:29 pm
There's one thing I can't figure out.....

How has a neighbor not snitched on Niobe and told Vorenus that not his grandchild?

You just KNOW with people living in such close quarters are going to gossip.

Also, the bit about the drovers boy marrying the daughter?
That's all well and good, but HE's willing to lie and say he's the father, and not slip up somehow?

Wouldn't the drover have an opinion of his son saying he's the father?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
I don't know if the neighbors would be the congnizant of the reason the brother-in-law would be visiting, especially since there was no clear detail about when and how many times he visited. It only takes once to get a pregnancy.

The drover boy was in love -- he might have been convinced to do just about anything. I'd have to watch the segments again to really give a clear opinion but I think they might be saving the entire story for a sudden upheaval of the plot.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
You're right about what might happen down the via.

Oh but the neighbors know it's Niobe who had the baby, they saw her pregnant and all and knew the husband was gone.

BTW, was I the only one wondering how long a body could stay upright without its head attached?

c'mon, c'mon, fall already.

It was making me wonder if the body part could feel pain without the head, or if the head was feeling pain without the body attached to it....

wow...my neck hurts.

and people tell me I don't have deep thoughts from time to time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:03 pm
This depends on how nosey the neighbors are. Quite frankly, mine are not even the least bit nosey. I could be pregnant and the wouldn't notice. The timelines jump ahead form time to time in the series so the framework of the plot can be deceiving. I think the neighbors would have assumed it was her husband's baby and not know about the "story."

I rather liked that Pompeii was unwilliing to call it a day. Just like him.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:44 am
Lightwizard wrote:
This depends on how nosey the neighbors are. Quite frankly, mine are not even the least bit nosey. I could be pregnant and the wouldn't notice. The timelines jump ahead form time to time in the series so the framework of the plot can be deceiving. I think the neighbors would have assumed it was her husband's baby and not know about the "story."

I rather liked that Pompeii was unwilliing to call it a day. Just like him.

Yes, I agree.

Also, his wife, dang I forget her name and I should know it, Cordelia? Anyway, I really liked her, she just lives for those children, everything she does when she's around them it geared to loving and proctecting them.

Frank - I'd like to get your opinion on this pregancy situation....

I see you live in NJ and your last name appears to be Italian, true?
I grew up in NJ and almost all my friends were Italian.
Rome/modern day Italians, I think some things might be close enough.

Considering strong family ties, and keen eyes, I can't imagine that the people in a small crowded neighborhood would not pick up on the fact she was preggers, and not know EXACTLY when her husband left.

At least not in the neighborhood I grew up in....Mrs. Malocchio always was always checking out what cars were in the driveway, and could tell you what the lady two blocks away was wearing when she left the house this morning.
Word of juicy news spread very quickly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 11:59 am
So, no one has a comment yet on last weeks show?

and here it is Friday.

Ok, I'll start....

ahem.....

Wasn't that Cleopatra a honey?

Smart too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
More like I would imagine the real Cleopatra to look like -- wonder if the actress is actually Greek?

Certainly blew away Liz Taylor even though she's so camp in the not-so-great film version of "Cleopatra" that I can't resist. Actually, the keep it alive that the original film which was going to be in two parts may emerge one day on DVD. It would then be "Caesar and Cleopatra" and then "Antony and Cleopatra."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:01 pm
The show just keeps getting better as we near the crucial highlights of Caesar and Antony's providence.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
The last episode was not unlike a Jerry Springer show.

The lesbian sister sleeps with her brother who knew why she seduced him yet he did her anyway, then the mom finds out and goes whack.

The whole city should have one big orgy then kill each other....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
I think that might be coming.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I think that might be coming.

DOH!!! Shocked

(i'll admit, i was a little weirded out by the brother/sister thing)

uh....yuck?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
Oh, that one didn't go over your head, did it.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:41 pm
A bit like Gunfignt At The OK Coral, only with a bigger cast.
A fun piece of TV escapism
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
huh?

I'm a little dense today?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
(An orgy is coming? Let's just hope none of the female characters is wearing a little black dress.)
0 Replies