PLEASE LOOK NEED IDENTIFICATION PLEASE!!

robbee

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:36 pm
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/rtowell/artpic1.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/rtowell/signature.jpg

I have had this picture for about 35 years now...the frame looks to be from the 1920's to 1930's. I have tried unsuccessfully to find any information about it online. It is signed Packer on the bottom right...as you can see on the second image link...there is a copyright on the left hand side, I believe it says M & B Inc. NY or M E B Inc. NY...its so small I cant make out if the middle symbol is a plus sign or an E....also cannot find a thing on this...I even went to the copyright website but they only go back to 1975 with their online records...I would really appreciate any info on this if anyone knows...thanks...I can be emailed at robbee at cox dot net also...thanks!!! its a good sized print...I would guess about 18 x 30?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,362 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:14 pm
Am answering this just to kick it up on the posts list, as I don't know about the print myself. It is a pretty thing..

Also, you'd be smart to get your email address out of the post, robbee, because there are such things as 'spybots', that go through internet forums looking for email addresses on posts, and if they pick up your address, add it to some spam list. You can forestall that, I think, by adding a space or two between the name and the @, or spelling out at, or some such trick.

I've presume you've checked on google.com - though I'm not sure exactly what you should google for. Someone else may come along and post who could name the period of the poster subject.
0 Replies

robbee

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:08 am
thank you
thanks for the bit of advice of the email...being a newbee to these things...ive searched google...used the last name of packer...I keep getting the football team!!! lol....also put artist packer and got some but none of them even resembled the same type of artwork that my pic is..I collect maxfield parrish...and this piece caught my eye at my friends house years ago...but I have never been able to find out anything about it...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 04:30 am
It looks Art Deco to me, try looking under that style. You can also try the name and art deco, and see what comes up.

Good luck
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 04:59 am
If I'm correct about the Art Deco Style; then here are three museums in NYC that might be able to help you. You can send them an email with a complete picture. You can find their email on the net.

Museums in NY that have Art Deco Collections.

Metropolitan Museum of Art, 5th Avenue, and 82nd Street, New York, NY 10028

Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Decorative Arts, 2 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10028

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1071 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10028 (Gorgeous building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright).

Maybe one of these museums has information on dealers that deal with Art Deco.

Good luck
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
It looks Art Deco-ish to me too, but my knowledge of that style is slim.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:03 am
The images of the leopards remind me of Josephine Baker, and her leopard with the diamond collar.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:07 am
Yes, Angelique, but the leopard is a common feature of Art Deco. I've some sculptures at home with the stylised lady and the leopard.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:18 am
Yes I know Francis. But, Josephine Baker is one of my heros, and the leopard reminded me of her life. I created a construction piece of her called A Biographical Portrait of Josephine Baker (from my series of biographical portraits of special women), and I won first prize for it. I admire the lady.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:24 am
Me too.
0 Replies

robbee

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 04:57 pm
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002tGt
I finally found some info on my piece!!! cut and paste the link above to see what I have found...I have emailed on the people on the forum but have not heard from all of them yet...concerned as the forum is quite old also...fred l packer was the artist...goddess of the mountain was the title of the piece...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:11 pm
I'm so glad for you. Here is the address to the museum in Washington, just in case the forum does not answer you

National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C.

I have another Washington address, but it's a university of Textiless.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 05:57 pm
Well, that's neat! Great!
0 Replies

dmcentee

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 03:50 pm
Hi

I just ran across a Goddess of the Mountain print by Packer. It's a deco looking print with a woman walking a tiger in front of some arches with mountains in the background. The piece was about 12" tall and 24" wide (I didn't measure at the time). Is the same as the piece that you found ? Have you been able to get any valuation for the piece.

Thanks
0 Replies

margaret moore

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:52 pm
@robbee,
This 1920's print is called "Goddess of the Mountains", artist was Fred L Packer who also did Mavis perfume advertisement art. The writing on the lower left has a "&" in the middle. From what I have learned-KEEP IT, it is worth some money, is hard to find. I have the same print, a little larger, bought it to sell, fell for it and now like you I search for info. Good luck and enjoy your Deco art !!
0 Replies

Luanne Sterner

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:45 pm
I have The Goddess of the Mountain in its original art deco frame. Back has most of the paper off, but there's a blue-ish sticker in the lower left of the back. Artist is Packer, title is Goddess of the Mountain. Frame number has some paper stuck to it, but I think it's a 9. How do I get this beauty appraised?
0 Replies