Don1

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:31 pm
Where I live deer meat is not in the average butchers shops, we dont get many deer roaming the English countryside, so my question is this, whats it like? is it delicious or bland like rabbit or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,338 • Replies: 17
No top replies

barefootTia

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
Venison is similar to beef and can be used in beef dishes. It does however have a wild taste to it, one that I myself don't care for---a taste that is hard to describe.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:44 pm
If prepared properly, venison is quite delicious.

My brother in law Roy hunts for food, (he hunts with a cross bow) and bags enough deer during the season for his family, and sends some steaks to us......

It's very lean, so it should be cooked slowly, for a long time, as in a stew.

Roy grinds his and mixes with hamburger, that's ok, but I personally think it dilutes the flavor too much. Ground venison would be too dry by itself. I've seen deer sausage, but never tried it.

It has a stronger flavor than beef, since the deer are wild. I don't know what to compare it to, but it's not bland....

Can you order some from the US and have it shipped cold? It'd be fun for you to try it out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
I would describe the taste as gamey. I had a good friend in college who hunted (also with a cross bow) and often shared his catch with me and others. He was a very good cook. Sometimes he cooked it on the grill and it was always tender and delicious, but a bit sharper than beef. Tangy, maybe.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
"Gamey" to me means the meat was not properly butchered and some of the innards contaminated the edible meat.

I'm not a big fan of bambi burgers, but they are very lean and when properly done up with onions, mushrooms and a little saute of red wine they can be tasty. Best served on a buttered and toasted onion roll with garden lettuce and ripe tomato with perhaps a smear of mayo.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:31 pm
(Keep reading this as "Dear meat", as in, "Dear meat; I will no longer eat you since you used to be an animal." Or something.)
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
aint nothing wrong with good ol' BBQ Venison!
its a strong gamey flavour along the lines of duck!
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
sozobe wrote:
(Keep reading this as "Dear meat", as in, "Dear meat; I will no longer eat you since you used to be an animal." Or something.)

I sort of feel that way---kind of uncomfortable eating something that reminds me of Bambi
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:59 pm
I prefer summer sausage made from deer, as it is less fatty. Ground deer with pork scraps added to make up the lack of fat makes very good hamburgers or meatloaf. Soaking the meat in tepid water overnight before grilling it as steaks removes some of the "gamey" flavor and tenderizes the meat. Often what people refer to as "gamey" is the effect of adrenaline (or whatever the equivalent is in deer) if the deer is "started" before it is brought down. If it is dropped standing, the taste is quite different, and that strong "gamey" flavor is absent. One need be a very good hunter indeed to bring down a deer standing using a crossbow. Deer ribs are the best, because they are so lean, but they need constant basting so as not to dry out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:00 pm
Life feeds on life.

I have a friend who is a serious vegan. He stayed with me one week and brought along his own special vegan cereal (if there's a carnivore version I don't know it). He ate it for two days and on the third day it "hatched". Apparently those pantry moths got into it and he had been chowing down on their larve. Freaked him out - I thought the protein would do him good.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:06 pm
Venison is lean meat and rich in protein - healthy!

I usually soak the meat overnight in buttermilk to
soften the taste. Venison steaks can dry out fast while
on the grill, so I wrap them in bacon beforehand.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:31 pm
Thanks for the input peeps, looks like I will have to try it and see. I suppose it was a stupid question asking what something tastes like, for example what does chicken taste like?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
It tastes a lot like dog, but not as stringy, and somewhat drier . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:54 am
Setanta wrote:
It tastes a lot like dog, but not as stringy, and somewhat drier . . .

Not if you can drop it standing with a crossbow.
Then it remains quite moist and tender.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
nothing like a venison goulash....mmmmm.

good thing i have a dinner invitation for tonight. they better serve some venison goulash or else! or else i will eat whatever the hostess serves...
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
I love dear meat -- think that it is more tender but i do know what wild taste you are talking about. Reminds me of college so much
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 03:30 pm
college?

I'm not sure if I want to know.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
Ummm DEER MEAT!......Raised up on it, yep I was...still eat it. WE bag anywhere from 6 to 9 deer a year hunting. We fill up the freezer and eat it till its gone.

Crockpot.......fried, stews, chili, roasted.

What wild taste? lol

Maybe its an aquired taste like beer...lol

But the trick to it is, just letting it bleed out. We put it in tubs in the fridge, change the water out for two or three days and then slice and freeze it.
0 Replies