Life in a college town

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
Has anyone lived in a college town? I wonder what that life would be like? I was just messing around on realtor.com, and I found that I could actually pretty much buy a two-family house in the town where I went to college, have no mortgage, and rent out the other unit to college students. I would probably have to get some chump job to get healthcare coverage, which, in this town might not be easy, since aside from the college, pretty much the only industry there is hotels and crappy retail stores. But if I could swing it, maybe I could relive my glory days.

Or maybe glory days can't be relived.

What do you think about living in a college town? Is there anyone with any experience with this? I went to school in Plattsburgh, NY, by the way. I think it might be fun to have college kids around. Plus, maybe I'd get the chance to bang a college girl every once in a while. I wonder if living like that for a couple years or so might not be sort of fun.

What about living in a college town could be bad? Would it be sad to go back to the college town where you went, fifteen/twenty years later?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,649 • Replies: 33
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:54 pm
Yes, and I'll give you the full low-down but right now my daughter is chomping at the bit to get on-line and I've got to get off. Living in a college town is FABULOUS. I'll post more later.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:58 pm
it is like living your teen years
but with a full brain..

austin , though HUGE as it is, is a college town.
Love it dahhhhling.. just love it
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:00 pm
hmm..
i would say that I think the price per square foot of housing is higher in college towns..
Dunno how true that is.. but from where I sit it is a fact.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:01 pm
I think it's invigorating. I planned my career on it. Shopping all the time for the right college town.

I lived in 2 and loved them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
College towns--even fringes of college towns. Wonderful.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
austin is my first..

and last. ;-)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:12 pm
Wow, I must say, I'm surprised by the response here. I wouldn't have expected such a positive response. Hmmm...I swear, all my good ideas come to me after four or five beers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:20 pm
Four or five beers!!

Another wonderful idea!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:23 pm
yummy..
pass me one

oh yes. college towns are a blast.
the only thing I would see as a problem are the SMALL towns. Too close to all the riff raff.
If you want silence at home, but busy city underfoot college towns of 50,000 and up are great for that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:27 pm
Yah!

Too big and the college ambience is diluted.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:30 pm
Wait, so you guys are saying that small is bad, but too big and the ambience is diluted...

Plattsburgh, NY

Population (year 2000): 18,816, Est. population in July 2002: 19,156 (+1.8% change)
Males: 8,720 (46.3%), Females: 10,096 (53.7%)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Plattsburgh-New-York.html

Is this a good size?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:32 pm
He's looking at the female percentage!

I think shewolfnm may think that's too small.

I can't grasp that number. I'll have to do some comparisons. BRB.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:38 pm
OK, that's too small for me, unless it's very close to an urban area.

Unless it has a good arts community. I do think at least 50K is best.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:43 pm
Well, it's near Burlington, VT. That's a decent-sized urban area. And Montreal is about an hour away. a big negative is that the weather completely blows there. A major positive is that I know the town well.

Hey, look at this site I found. Interesting stuff.

http://www.collegetownlife.com/
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:47 pm
I dont think it is dilluted in a large town.
I think that you just dont have the option of having your cake and eating it too as easily in huge towns and definatly not in smaller towns

with a small town all you have is college... you drown in it.
In a large town you can live just on the outskirts of the 'action' and yet still have a nice quiet home that is yours and free of vandalisim, cheaper property taxes and close enough for you kicky, to lure naked women in.. ;-)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:54 pm
Oh, another b i g plus about Plattsburgh is that I probably would be able to afford to buy a two-family house there without a mortgage, or very near to no mortgage, at least.

Shewolf, you live in the ultimate college town. Who couldn't love the place where Stevie Ray Vaughan became a legend.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:54 pm
That sounds good. I think you'll be happy. You sound excited. Columbia, SC was where I lived. Perfect. I'll have to check out the other medium sized cities. Good link, kicky.

Statesboro, GA was the other. SERIOUS party town, but I don't party that much any more--and too small for me, really.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:57 pm
Lash, please, if you know others in the warmer parts of the country, feel free to let me know. I'd appreciate it. I feel a connection with P-burgh, but I hate the snow. And I love party towns. I'm such a freaking kid, when it really comes down to it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
Oh, and by the way, thank you to all who posted in this thread. I LOVE YOU ALL!

<That's probably the beer talking...>
0 Replies