Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 04:21 am
how come there are no left-handed catchers in baseball?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 05:24 am
Location is everything.

Try throwing to third if you are where the catcher is. There is less physical flexibility from that location and a heck of a pivot is needed.

For the record there are several almost lefthanded catchers. These would include the Padre's Robert Fick, Atlanta's Brian McCann, and Mike Jacobs of the Mets all of whom are southpaw batters but throw with the right and then in The American League people such as Jorge Posada of the Yankees who is a switchhitter but throws only right. I think what we really see in all of these guys is that they are actually ambidextrous.

Oh and for the record Benny DiStefano was a lefty catcher in the late '80s when he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates down at 3Rivers Stadium (they're now at PNC Park along by the Roberto Clemente Bridge). DiStefano went on to play with other teams and as I think a first baseman (not sure on the position, just that he stopped catching).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:24 am
Sturgis wrote:
Location is everything.

Try throwing to third if you are where the catcher is. There is less physical flexibility from that location and a heck of a pivot is needed.

true, but isn't the throw to first done just as often?

Quote:
For the record there are several almost lefthanded catchers. These would include the Padre's Robert Fick, Atlanta's Brian McCann, and Mike Jacobs of the Mets all of whom are southpaw batters but throw with the right and then in The American League people such as Jorge Posada of the Yankees who is a switchhitter but throws only right. I think what we really see in all of these guys is that they are actually ambidextrous.

if i'm not mistaken, those catchers are all natural righthanded throwers.
its not that difficult for a righty to learn how to bat lefty (i taught myself when i was in my teens, and can still switch hit 25 years later Smile)

Quote:
Oh and for the record Benny DiStefano was a lefty catcher in the late '80s when he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates down at 3Rivers Stadium (they're now at PNC Park along by the Roberto Clemente Bridge). DiStefano went on to play with other teams and as I think a first baseman (not sure on the position, just that he stopped catching).

thanx -- i knew there had been one or 2; just couldn't remember any names...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
They don't throw to first as often to third from behind the plate...it would make stealing third a lot easier. Catchers are throwing to first more on bunts and strikeout/dropped balls, with the occasional pickoff.

And I agree...you're not ambidextrous if you throw righty and bat lefty. A lot of guys do that.

Jason Varitek is a switch hitter also. But not in the sexual way.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 12:09 pm
found an interesting article on the subject...
Quote:
Being left-handed in baseball, except in rare cases, means exclusion from the position of catcher. This is due in large part to the game's counterclockwise flow. There have only been 33 left-handed throwing players who caught in at least 1 defensive inning. If you exclude the ten men who only caught in a single game, then you're talking about just 23 players. If you count only those guys who caught a 100 or more games in a career, you're down to exactly five left-handed throwing catchers. However, if you're only counting career catchers (minimum of 1,000 games caught), then you have exactly one and that is Jack Clements.

Why left-handed throwers are effectively banned from catching is less obvious than why they can't play shortstop or third base. And perhaps completely wrong. The most common reason cited is that a left-handed catcher is at a disadvantage in making the throw to third base, especially with a right-handed hitter at the plate. While this may be true, the overall effect is debatable.

The average major league team attempted 14.6 steals of third base during the 1998 season - - one every 11 games. Success rate of throwing out runners at third by a catcher was around 21% (3.07 caught out of 14.6 attempts). The success rate in 1998 at first base was around 40%. Right-handed catchers appeared to have little problem with the pickoffs at first base, the equivalent of a lefthander's throw to third.

The lack of left-handed catchers is more of a traditional thing than reality say most scouts. There are obstruction issues on some of the throws a catcher has to make, but there are some advantages to being left handed as well. One advantage is a left-handed catcher's ability to frame a right-handed pitcher's breaking balls. A right-handed catcher catches a right-hander's breaking ball across his body, with his glove moving out of the strike zone. A left-handed catcher would be able to catch the pitch moving into the strike zone and create a better target for the umpire.

However, consummate left-hander Bill Lee argues against the left-handed catcher. "Lefties can't play catcher because your head hangs over home plate when you make a tag." "You've got the ball in your right hand, you're blocking the plate with your left foot. When you go to make the tag, you're exposed. A lefty catcher would get killed."

Several left-handed throwing major leaguers has a stint at catching early in their careers. White Sox first baseman Mike Squires even caught 2 games in the majors. Randy Johnson (Diamondbacks ace pitcher) caught for a little while.

Another reason there are no left-handed catchers today may be simply because there are few, if any, left-handed catcher's mitts available to young players. Virtually all left-handed mitts have to be top-of-the-line gloves specially ordered.

Just add that to the list of obstacles that have gone up without apparent reason. But, left-handed catchers have played in the major leagues, although there have only been a few. The first left-handed throwing catcher was Fergy Malone (1871-1877) who caught 27 games in 1871. This is the very first year of major league baseball, although there is some dispute as to whether or not the 1871 National Association should be counted as major league. The Last left-handed throwing catcher to play the position was Benny Distefano who caught 3 games in 1989 for Pittsburgh.

The strangest left-handed throwing player to catch in the major leagues was Phillies pitcher Christ Short. As the story goes it was a defensive maneuver by manager Gene Mauch. Short caught for one batter so that Mauch could bring in a righty, then put Short back on the mound.

(source)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:26 am
I think a good lawyer could weave together a class action suit against Major League Baseball on this one. Clearly this is a form of discrimination against lefties.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:55 pm
it actually does make sense to have the glove on the left hand when tagging out a runner at the plate, bcos they're sliding in on that side...
0 Replies