RIP Willie Mays, 93...

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 04:47 am
Quote:
Willie Mays, whose unmatched collection of skills made him the greatest center fielder who ever lived, died Tuesday afternoon in the Bay Area. He was 93.

"My father has passed away peacefully and among loved ones," Michael Mays said in a statement released by the San Francisco Giants. "I want to thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart for the unwavering love you have shown him over the years. You have been his life's blood."

The "Say Hey Kid" left an indelible mark on the sport, with his name a constant throughout baseball's hallowed record book and his defensive prowess -- epitomized by "The Catch" in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series -- second to none.

All told, in a career that spanned 20-plus years (1951-73) -- most of them with his beloved Giants -- he made 24 All-Star teams, won two National League MVP awards and had 12 Gold Gloves. He ranks sixth all time in home runs (660), seventh in runs scored (2,068), 12th in RBIs (1,909) and 13th in hits (3,293).

"Today we have lost a true legend," Giants chairman Greg Johnson said in a statement. "In the pantheon of baseball greats, Willie Mays' combination of tremendous talent, keen intellect, showmanship, and boundless joy set him apart. A 24-time All-Star, the Say Hey Kid is the ultimate Forever Giant.
(espn)

https://i.postimg.cc/NjjqsKmC/capture.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 747 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hightor

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 06:23 am
@Region Philbis,
hightor

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 06:52 am
@hightor,
How on earth he could be running that fast and stop without crashing into the wall and return the ball into play in one smooth action – incredible. Makes me think of Bo Jackson climbing the wall that time. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6pvccP-E1A)
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 09:07 am
@hightor,

it was an incredible sprint and catch at the time -- in a ridiculously cavernous centerfield, but modern day outfielders do that sort of thing routinely.

Jim Edmunds comes to mind

to his credit, the Say Hey Kid was aruably the best 5-tool major leaguer ever
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mayswi01.shtml

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 12:30 pm
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 04:40 pm
@Region Philbis,
Speaking of defensive highlight catches, being a Red Sawxer, Dewy Evans comes to mind.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2024 05:07 pm
Willie is one of few ball players I take time to compliment. I got to see him play in the late 60s or early 70s.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 04:59 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Dewy Evans comes to mind
Victorino and Betts also had highlight catches in RF...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 05:15 am

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 06:01 am
Damn, I could watch those plays all day!
0 Replies