timelessness than progression

vvlad

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2024 05:05 am
Metal warhorse Metallica invite the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra over and create the most crowded, ceiling-rattling basement rec room in rock. If the point of nestling Metallica’s massive crunch inside a muscular swirl of chugging strings and ominous winds is sheer awesomeness, then S&M, the live performance, succeeded. But S&M, the two-CD record of that performance, sounds like an artifact from the faux-satanic, light-and-fog age of classic metal — pompous, humorless and too weighty for even James Hetfield’s considerable presence. The band found the right composer and arranger in Michael Kamen (as his liner notes show, he loves exclamation points!), who has the strings sawing away manfully during such Dungeons & Dragons fantasies as “Of Wolf and Man,” “Enter Sandman” and the great “Human.” Speedy tunes (“Fuel”) and ballads (“Hero of the Day”) bog down miserably, but since Metallica traffic chiefly in symphonic bombast anyway, the monster numbers benefit from supersizing. The effect is more one of timelessness than progression — with or without the symphony, Metallica will always rule that basement
1Could you you explain in other words what crowded, ceiling-rattling basement rec room means?
2. What does more one of timelessness than progression mean here in other words? Thanks a lot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 389 • Replies: 1
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2024 05:31 am
@vvlad,
Progression suggests movement, music advances, Mediaevil music is very primitive compared to later orchestral music.

The same can be said of rock, that the sounds of "progressive" rock bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zepellin are far more sophisticated than the rockabilly sounds of the 50s.

Timeless music is something that stays relevant, often listened to.

A timeless song would be Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.

It's often playing and could be the background of any time.
0 Replies