Quick Chicken Question

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:18 am
I've only baked chicken (350 30 minutes) and I've got that down!

Last night I made chicken parmesan and I fried the chicken and then baked it for 20 minutes. Came out great!

I wanted to fry it the whole time (no oven) but I don't know how long to keep it in the frying pan (skinless breasts).

Anyone know what is most common? I prefer not to get confused by those who cook chicken at a high temp/less time/short-cuts ....just on average?

Also to boil chicken, do I just put it in water, chop it up, and boil for 30 minutes? med-high heat, med heat, low??

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 879 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:08 am
hmmm.

I recently learned to make steaks in a cast iron pan.
It called for browning the steaks in the pan....then putting the cast iron pan in a preheated oven for a certain amount of time.

sounds similar....

Last time, after browning the steak, I just put a heavy lid on the cast iron pan, put the flame down LOW.

I figured that would simulate the oven, and it did just fine, with no heating up the oven.

FYI, I normally would put the steak in the oven for about, oh 5 minutes for medium rare, I checked the steak by cutting after 5 minutes in the pan and they were a little rarer, but that's okay, since when you take the meat out to rest, it keep cooking.

I'd try that for chicken, and just cut into a breast after 10 and 15 minutes to see if it's down (not pink).

If you cook it too long, it'll get tough
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
Re: Quick Chicken Question
Joahaeyo wrote:
Also to boil chicken, do I just put it in water, chop it up, and boil for 30 minutes? med-high heat, med heat, low??

As long as the water is boiling, there is no difference in how fast the meat cooks between high heat and low heat. Altitude will affect the termperature at which water boils, so that could affect cooking time. Personally, I like to use a pressure cooker as it always cooks at the same temperature.

(And I'd suggest chopping the chicken first, then putting it in the water... Twisted Evil )
0 Replies