A Candidate Paying Money to Suppress an Election Related News Story

gollum

Reply Tue 28 May, 2024 08:19 am
I understand it is legal for a candidate for U.S. political office (e.g., Trump) to pay money to a publication (e.g., National Enquirer) to not publish the story. This helps the candidate get elected.

What is the business motivation of the publication's management for not publishing the story? I thought they earned their bread and butter by publishing such stories.

Is there any effort underway to change the law (which law is it?)? Would Congressional action be needed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4

View best answer, chosen by gollum
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 28 May, 2024 10:48 am
@gollum,
It's a mystery isn't it?

What possible advantage can there be in having the president of the US owe you a favour?
gollum

Reply Tue 28 May, 2024 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
OK, I guess you are correct.

Still, spilling dirt on celebrities is the core of The National Enquirer's business plan.

When NE management (i.e., David Pecker) agrees not to print dirt on Trump, it is giving up revenue from the sale of additional copies of NE and advertising revenue.

How come Pecker didn't demand big money from Trump? Or did he?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 May, 2024 11:19 am
@gollum,
The court transcript details everything.

I'm sure it's reported on where you are.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 May, 2024 08:07 am
More than just owing you a favor, it could be that the publisher sees an advantage in having Trump in office. He could also be doing it out of friendship. It really doesn't matter all that much what his motivation was. It's not like there was just one person here either. There was an entire team dedicated to silencing the story, falsifying the payment history and then faking the accounting to defraud the government.
0 Replies