Photoshop CS2 on the iMac G5

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 06:23 pm
Does anyone here have experience with CS on the iMac G5? I'd like to know how it is compared to using PC and also if it is easy to get used to. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,804 • Replies: 10
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
Are you talking about Photoshop CS? CS is the version number and could refer to many different products...

as to differences, it has different keyboard shortcuts.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
Yeah I"m talkin about Photoshop CS2 for the iMac G5. From what i hear it'll be nothing short of great, is that true from what you know?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:04 pm
Ok. The iMac G5 is not going to use a "special" version, it's going to use the same version as all the other Macs.

I haven't used CS2, but in the CS version the Mac was pretty much the same as the PC except some of the shortcuts were missing / different. Same product.

As for the differences between CS and CS2, it looks as though they have actually made some nice new improvements--

The new vanishing point tool and the support of limited vector graphic objects seem to be the most notable. The red eye tool will be helpful to a lot of people, as fixing this manually can be a pain. (Advanced users will probably want to continue tweaking after using this tool I would guess). The Spot Healing brush could be good or bad...hard to tell without checking it out. Same with the Bridge.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:51 pm
Thanks Stuh, I wasn't really trying to ask if the G5 had a special version, I'm actually not sure why I included the G5. My bad.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:44 pm
You're so bad...
0 Replies

Billie Bob

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
Cs
I don't know. I use CS on the iMAC, seems to work well.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:25 pm
Ok, I got CS2 now.

I really love the vanishing point and red eye tools!

This vanishing point tool will give me much more power in realistic photo editing...this is definitely my new favorite tool in Photoshop! And, it's very easy to get the hang of.

And the red eye tool works surprisingly well...there are just a couple settings for diameter and darkness, but even if you don't get the settings right it will still come out pretty good. Removing red eye by hand is quite difficult because you need to desaturate it, and then you have to make it go from a bright center to a dark center, which means you could easily mess up the edges and create a dark center with a black ring...and then you have to colorize it. The red eye removal tool makes this simple, and does not mess up any reflections on the eye either. They have some smart programming on this one! It results in a desaturated eyecolor (eg grayish) which looks pretty normal on most people, but you may want to adjust the color balance to get the proper eye color depening on the person. This definitely speeds up removing red eye !

You can all try it free for 30 days if you go to Adobe, product, photoshop cs2, tryouts button on the left side, and register to download tryouts of any adobe products
0 Replies

howdie doodie

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:20 pm
imac G5 vs. Adobe CS and Quark 6.5
I currently use a Mac G4 733mhz... and was wanting to upgrade my system for graphic design... I know the best thing would be to purchase a dual processor Power Mac G5 but im trying to save some of my mulah...

Does anyone use Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Quark 6.5 on their imac G5 for graphic design? Do large PSD files slow down the machine considerably or does the processor and graphics card handle the CS programs well without too much time wasted in rendering?

I love the fact that the imac G5 is an all in one unit with the monitor. Its very clean... but I am afraid that even though its a G5, that I would need a dual processor G5 to handle the design work load more efficiently.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:31 pm
From what I've experienced, there is no slow down. But I haven't started using real large files yet. Nonetheless, I'm impressed with it, and slowing down hasn't happened to me yet.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
My experience is that you don't begin running into any noticeable slowdown or 'drag' until you start working with file sizes in excess of 600MB or more. Which if you've ever tried to edit a 100MB image file on a PC is pretty F***** remarkable.
0 Replies