Water softener

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:06 pm
I'm also having problems with my Rainsoft water softener. . . Not using salt. When a plumber was here on a non-related problem,he looked at it and disassembled the tri-valve but admitted to losing a tiny black .250 GPM flow control that was in the lower 1/4" brine line. Since the unit sits on black 1-1/2" crushed stone, its been impossible to find. How necessary is it? I have not used the unit since that visit. I notice by my parts diagram that there are many o-rings, none of which have ever been lubricated or even looked at. Besides the flow control, what else should I do to get this unit up and running again? Any idea what made it stop using salt in the first place? I can provide photos if required. TIA, Jack
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,557 • Replies: 7
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:18 pm
Re: Water softener
JackthWack wrote:
Besides the flow control, what else should I do to get this unit up and running again? Any idea what made it stop using salt in the first place? I can provide photos if required. TIA, Jack

Hey Jack,
Pictures would be a great help.

A few questions:

How old is the system?
Was the salt tank filling up with water?
Do you have a local RainSoft dealer?
0 Replies

JackthWack

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:50 pm
Pictures, etc.
Thanks for quick response. I'm not sure how to send photos unless to your e-mail direct. The unit is five years old, does not fill up with water, and nearest dealer works out of his house which is a couple of hours away. BTW, the model number is AMB 744 CT for the softener and RNB 1044 Y for the acid filtering system. As far as I know, no maintenance has ever been done on this unit. Also I have to change the whole house sediment filter every two months.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
Re: Pictures, etc.
JackthWack wrote:
Thanks for quick response. I'm not sure how to send photos unless to your e-mail direct. The unit is five years old, does not fill up with water, and nearest dealer works out of his house which is a couple of hours away. BTW, the model number is AMB 744 CT for the softener and RNB 1044 Y for the acid filtering system. As far as I know, no maintenance has ever been done on this unit. Also I have to change the whole house sediment filter every two months.

Do the controls look something like this one? Or are the controls white plastic?

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watersoftenerinside.jpg

Random thoughts...

If the Acid Neutralizer is bedded properly and set to backwash every morning it will double as a self cleaning whole house sediment filter.

Neutralizers need to be rebed at least every 12 months.

It sounds like you need a major service on both units and that could make it worth the trip for the semi-local service guy
and worth the $ if you are present during the service call and learn how to maintain the system better on your own.

If you contact RainSoft Customer Service they may find a service rep that is closer and they may agree to sell you tools,
supplies and instructions for DIY service if you are so inclined.
0 Replies

twl0420

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:46 pm
Problem: continual regeneration of RainSoft 14-day mechanica
Hi

My Rainsoft timer, which of the 14 day, mechanial variety, appears to be continually repeating the regeneration process. I am sure that I am somehow the culprit.

The softening system was installed in my home when built in 1996. I purchased the house in 2001, and disconnected the tank (the one w/timer & valve) from its bypass value. I also disconnected the 28 volt AC line. (My significant other did not like the "oily" feel of the softened water.) Last weekend, I, now minus the significant other, reconnected the unit, re-plumbing it so that it is tucked away nicely in the garage corner. And yes, I added salt too!

I watched the unit go through a regeneration cycle, and everything seemed ok. I then compared the hardness of both the unfiltered and filtered water, and I know that the unit is softening the water. Cool beans, right?

However, the unit appears to be repeatedly going through the regeneration process, perhaps continually. Of course, like the cat, my curiosity "forced" me to tinker a bit after the re-installation, manually flipping through the different regeneration "cycles." I suspect that therein lies the problem.

Thoughts?

BTW, if the mechanical timers are outdated, what is the $$ for a fancy-dancy computer timer?

Thanks!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 06:50 am
Repeatedly going through the regeneration process...
twl0420 wrote:

However, the unit appears to be repeatedly going through the regeneration process, perhaps continually. Of course, like the cat, my curiosity "forced" me to tinker a bit after the re-installation, manually flipping through the different regeneration "cycles." I suspect that therein lies the problem.

Thoughts?

BTW, if the mechanical timers are outdated, what is the $$ for a fancy-dancy computer timer?

Thanks!

I have seen prices for computer valves between $500 and $1200.

If your system will not stop running through it's cycles unless you un-plug it you need to check that all of the wires
are plugged into the correct micro-switches (you have 4) and be sure none of the switches are cracked or broken.

Check this first and post your results.
Pictures would help.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Freightrain

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:02 pm
H20 Man....I've got a quick question you might be able to answer.

The picture you posted above is identical to a unit I just installed. It was removed from one friends place and installed in another. One problem, NO instructions and the INLET/OUTLETs are NOT marked and were not marked before removal. I need to confirm what is what before replumb.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:56 am
Freightrain wrote:
One problem, NO instructions and the INLET/OUTLETs are NOT marked and were not marked before removal. I need to confirm what is what before replumb.

Looking at the valve as pictured above the Inlet is back center.
The Outlet is on the left side with an elbow going away from you.
0 Replies