Intelligent Design Theory Solution

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
real life wrote:
Can we justify any act in the name of evolution because it is in our own self interest and therefore will help insure our own survival, etc?

You can't justify anything in the name of evolution. Evolution is just a process which has been observed in nature.

Saying you want to justify something in the name of evolution is like saying you want to justify something in the name of plant growth. Plants grow in front of each other to get to the light, but that's not justification to block the sun at a beach. It's a creative argument, and you can try it, but they're gonna throw you off the beach anyway.

real life wrote:
If evolution is the law of the universe, can we blame anyone for acting in accordance with it, no matter how heinous the act?

You're beating around the bush again... Come on... let's hear it...
0 Replies

barnoonan

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:35 am
Frustration
I only registered yesterday and I don't think I can visit again. It is so frustrating...

It isn't just vestigal structures that lead to a complete organ/structure. The only criteria of change is that every component must offer an advantage over the previous to ensure it survives.

A light sensitive cell. Two light sensitive cells etc. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, so a partial eye is better than none at all.

Oh I can't be bothered to continue.......well done you guys for trying
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
Re: Frustration
barnoonan wrote:
I only registered yesterday and I don't think I can visit again. It is so frustrating...

It isn't just vestigal structures that lead to a complete organ/structure. The only criteria of change is that every component must offer an advantage over the previous to ensure it survives.

A light sensitive cell. Two light sensitive cells etc. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king, so a partial eye is better than none at all.

Hi Barnoonan,

Welcome to the show Smile

I know it's frustrating, but if you look at these conversations as a fun chance to hone your own knowledge as well as practice your debating techniques, then it all seems less a waste of time.

It's sometimes difficult for scientists to see the value in spending time helping others to understand scientific theories. They would rather spend their time in research on those theories themselves. But in my opinion, this is a weakness in the scientific community. By focusing too tightly on the persuit of knowledge itself and not helping to spread that knowledge by finding ways to make it understandable to the general public, they are undermining not only their ultimate funding sources, but also doing a disservice to humanity (that's my soap box for the day... Welcome to A2K) Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:46 am
rosborne979 wrote:
barnoonan wrote:

Hi Barnoonan,

Welcome to the show Smile

I know it's frustrating, but if you look at these conversations as a fun chance to hone your own knowledge as well as practice your debating techniques, then it all seems less a waste of time.

It's sometimes difficult for scientists to see the value in spending time helping others to understand scientific theories. They would rather spend their time in research on those theories themselves. But in my opinion, this is a weakness in the scientific community. By focusing too tightly on the persuit of knowledge itself and not helping to spread that knowledge by finding ways to make it understandable to the general public, they are undermining not only their ultimate funding sources, but also doing a disservice to humanity (that's my soap box for the day... Welcome to A2K) Smile

Excellent points, Rosborne.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
rosborne979 wrote:
It's sometimes difficult for scientists to see the value in spending time helping others to understand scientific theories ... But in my opinion, this is a weakness in the scientific community.

roseborne, both you and farmerman have been doing an excellent job in this area.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
Are you a scientist roseborne, if so, what is your field major?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:43 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

My background is in computer science (various specialties for over 20 years). Currently I am a business owner. But astrophysics and evolution have been hobbies of mine for as long as I've been able to think.

Many of my relatives are baptists, with at least a couple of theology majors and preachers. I've been through many hair raising philosophy and theology discussions with them. Despite the differences in opinion, we are still family and will still talk to each other. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:46 am
whoa, ros. Thats like Al Capone at Thanksgiving dinner with a family of FBI agents.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
farmerman wrote:
whoa, ros. Thats like Al Capone at Thanksgiving dinner with a family of FBI agents.

Yeh, and they all just Loooove talking to me Wink
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 11:10 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:

My background is in computer science (various specialties for over 20 years). Currently I am a business owner. But astrophysics and evolution have been hobbies of mine for as long as I've been able to think.

Many of my relatives are baptists, with at least a couple of theology majors and preachers. I've been through many hair raising philosophy and theology discussions with them. Despite the differences in opinion, we are still family and will still talk to each other. Smile

Imagine if we took your Pentium apart and put all the components in a room together . Then we create a mini tornado in the room which comes and goes at varying speeds. How long till it reassembles your computer? And it has the advantage of having all the right parts, in the right amounts, in perfect condition from the start.

(Blind chance doesn't start with the right parts in the same place or in the correct amount. It doesn't even start with parts, but with the raw materials to make the parts. It doesn't even "know" when it's made a correct match between two or more items to make a functioning structure, in order to "keep" that one together.

A longer "survival time" is postulated, not proven. It is only an assumed tendency. )

Your mission , if you decide to accept it, is to reassemble the computer using the mini tornado. This theory has already self destructed. Good Luck, Agent 979.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:10 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Imagine if we took your Pentium apart and put all the components in a room together . Then we create a mini tornado in the room which comes and goes at varying speeds. How long till it reassembles your computer? And it has the advantage of having all the right parts, in the right amounts, in perfect condition from the start.

(Blind chance doesn't start with the right parts in the same place or in the correct amount. It doesn't even start with parts, but with the raw materials to make the parts. It doesn't even "know" when it's made a correct match between two or more items to make a functioning structure, in order to "keep" that one together.

A longer "survival time" is postulated, not proven. It is only an assumed tendency. )

Your mission , if you decide to accept it, is to reassemble the computer using the mini tornado. This theory has already self destructed. Good Luck, Agent 979.

You really just cannot get through your head that "where we are" may be just a random place...and that your argument only makes sense if "where we are" is what nature was heading for.

A randomly shuffled deck of cards has an order. Randomly acheiving that order by chance would involve odds of millions upon millions to one. But a randomly shuffled deck of cards is going to have an order...and it is going to happen randomly.

Try to conceive of it, if you will, (using the deck analogy) this way: The card holding of 3 of spades; 7 & Jack of diamonds; and 4 and King of hearts...has odds against randomly being dealt exactly equivalent to a Royal straight flush in clubs.

We are here. We MAY have gotten here randomly. It is illogical to look at where we are...calculate the odds against getting here randomly and then saying that the odds are too great for it to have happened randomly.

And it is absurd to use the "take your computer apart" analogy to argue that way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:12 am
real life
Quote:

Boy, this is original. Its been over 3 months since someone has dissassembled a ADD TECHNOLOGICAL DEVICE HERE SO TO MAKE THE POINT THAT WE CREATE GADGETS

The fact that biological systems operate against a thermo gradient all the time (Thus making life after death rather problematical), or that "self assembly by mRNA/RNA/DNA polymerization is well understood and can be seen in its own evolutionary trail means absolutely nothing to the budding WJ Bryans of the world

"Dont mess mahh thinkin wiff none Oh that dere scientifical talk , we know dat somehow, someway dat God was in dere a workin away at dis, an he lef all dat dere fossil junk jess to mess up our minds"

Please real life---at least be original, youre getting to be a scratched CD. We know that you dont listen or pay any attention, but at least your posts were somewhat clever (until this oft repeated gem).
Theres at least 4 other a2K members who use the "re assembly argument" as somehow being a valid proof of something. At Least it gives them comfort that they are making a point. Now you join that august group of "ORTHODOX ANTI-ASSEMBLISTS"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
real life wrote:

That's not an advantage, it's a disadvantage, because then the mini-tornado would have to create a computer, and to make matters worse, a *specific* computer. This is *very unlike* evolution which doesn't have to create anything specifically at all. Also, your analogy lacks any equivalent to natural selection, which as we all know is a key aspect of evolution.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
real life
Quote:

Boy, this is original. Its been over 3 months since someone has dissassembled a ADD TECHNOLOGICAL DEVICE HERE SO TO MAKE THE POINT THAT WE CREATE GADGETS

The fact that biological systems operate against a thermo gradient all the time (Thus making life after death rather problematical), or that "self assembly by mRNA/RNA/DNA polymerization is well understood and can be seen in its own evolutionary trail means absolutely nothing to the budding WJ Bryans of the world

"Dont mess mahh thinkin wiff none Oh that dere scientifical talk , we know dat somehow, someway dat God was in dere a workin away at dis, an he lef all dat dere fossil junk jess to mess up our minds"

Please real life---at least be original, youre getting to be a scratched CD. We know that you dont listen or pay any attention, but at least your posts were somewhat clever (until this oft repeated gem).
Theres at least 4 other a2K members who use the "re assembly argument" as somehow being a valid proof of something. At Least it gives them comfort that they are making a point. Now you join that august group of "ORTHODOX ANTI-ASSEMBLISTS"

Ha, I'm honored I'm sure. Though I have no idea who you refer to. Oh well.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

That's not an advantage, it's a disadvantage, because then the mini-tornado would have to create a computer, and to make matters worse, a *specific* computer. This is *very unlike* evolution which doesn't have to create anything specifically at all. Also, your analogy lacks any equivalent to natural selection, which as we all know is a key aspect of evolution.

Not sure that natural selection is supposed to be much of a factor until the point when the organism survives longer or more consistently, reproduces and passes on his improved state genetically, is it?

My description has more to do with Organism Alpha getting off the ground, so to speak. Abiogenesis, if you will; which as I mentioned in another post is sold part and parcel along with Evolution to unsuspecting kiddies as one package of candy.

The process is actually supposed to have created a specific something , at least something that can feed itself, eliminate waste, protect itself, and later reproduce itself, correct? Something that works and is successful?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
real life
Quote:

The Tornado in the Junkyard

The eccentric astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle once famously said that evolution was as likely as a tornado blowing through a junkyard and assembling a Boeing 747 jumbo jet. This saying was gleefully seized upon by creationists, who have promulgated it ever since as "proof" of the impossibility of evolution producing complex, highly ordered forms.

As will be shown, this argument is not even close to being an accurate representation of evolution. It is a straw man, a ridiculous caricature of how evolution works. However, it is first necessary to establish a few things about the credentials of its author. As stated above, Fred Hoyle was an astronomer -- he was not trained in biology, paleontology, population genetics, or any other field having to do with evolution. He was no more qualified to make pronouncements about evolution than any layman, and indeed his comments demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of the theory. Nevertheless, whatever he was, he was certainly not a creationist.

"The creationist is a sham religious person who, curiously, has no true sense of religion. In the language of religion, it is the facts we observe in the world around us that must be seen to constitute the words of God. Documents, whether the Bible, Qu'ran or those writings that held such force for Velikovsky, are only the words of men. To prefer the words of men to those of God is what one can mean by blasphemy. This, we think, is the instinctive point of view of most scientists who, curiously again, have a deeper understanding of the real nature of religion than have the many who delude themselves into a frenzied belief in the words, often the meaningless words, of men. Indeed, the lesser the meaning, the greater the frenzy, in something like inverse proportion." --Fred Hoyle & Chandra Wickramasinghe, Our Place in the Cosmos, p.14

"We are inescapably the result of a long heritage of learning, adaptation, mutation and evolution, the product of a history which predates our birth as a biological species and stretches back over many thousand millennia.... Going further back, we share a common ancestry with our fellow primates; and going still further back, we share a common ancestry with all other living creatures and plants down to the simplest microbe. The further back we go, the greater the difference from external appearances and behavior patterns which we observe today.... Darwin's theory, which is now accepted without dissent, is the cornerstone of modern biology. Our own links with the simplest forms of microbial life are well-nigh proven." --Fred Hoyle & Chandra Wickramasinghe, Lifecloud: The Origin of Life in the Universe, p.15-16

With that established, we turn to the tornado in the junkyard. It is the purpose of this essay to show that this analogy says nothing about the validity of evolution because it fails to represent evolution on at least four crucial counts.

It operates according purely to random chance.
It is an example of single-step, rather than cumulative, selection.
It is a saltationary jump -- an end product entirely unlike the beginning product.
It has a target specified ahead of time.

The first point is the most important. The tornado in the junkyard is an example of intricate, complex and highly ordered forms being produced by nothing more than random chance. But evolution is not chance. (See here for more on this.) Rather, it operates according to a fixed, deterministic law -- the law of natural selection -- which has the power to favor some assemblages over others; it preferentially selects for those adaptations which improve fitness and selects against those that do not. The tornado, by contrast, slams parts together and tears them apart with no preference whatsoever, thus completely failing to represent natural selection, the force which drives all of evolution. To more accurately represent evolution, one would have to grant the tornado some power to recognize assemblages of parts which could serve as part of a 747 and prevent it from tearing them apart.

Secondly, the tornado analogy is an example of single-step selection -- in one step, it goes from a random pile of parts to a fully assembled airliner. This is completely unlike evolution, which operates according to a process of cumulative selection -- complex results being built up gradually in a repetitive process guided at each step by selective forces. To more accurately represent evolution, the tornado could be sent through the junkyard not once, but thousands or millions of times, at each step preserving chance assemblages of parts that could make up a jumbo jet.

Thirdly, in relation to the point above, the tornado in the junkyard is an example of saltation -- a sudden leap in which the end product is completely different from the beginning product. Evolution does not work this way; birds do not hatch out of dinosaur eggs and monkeys do not give birth to humans. Rather, species grow different over time through a process of slow change in which each new creature is only slightly different from its ancestor, the whole forming a gradually shading continuum in which any two steps are almost indistinguishable from each other, though the creatures at the beginning and end of the continuum may be very different indeed. If we sent a tornado through a junkyard once, we would not expect to see a complete airplane; but if we repeated the process thousands or millions of times, at each step preserving useful assemblages, we might see a jumbo jet gradually taking shape out of slowly accreting collections of parts. The idea is the same with living things. We do not see complex new creatures appearing suddenly in the fossil record; rather, we see them gradually forming by a process of modification from a line of increasingly similar ancestors.

And finally, the tornado analogy fails to represent evolution in one more significant way: it has a target specified ahead of time. Evolution does not. Natural selection is not a forward-looking process; it cannot select for what may become useful in the future, only what is immediately useful in the present. To more accurately represent evolution, we might add the additional stipulation that the tornado would be allowed to assemble, not just a jumbo jet, but any functional piece of machinery.

A tornado racing through a junkyard hundreds of thousands of times, at each step somehow preserving rather than tearing apart functional assemblages of parts, with the aim of ultimately producing some sort of working machine, be it a 747, a station wagon or a personal computer. This is still not a very good analogy to describe evolution, but it's a lot better than the implausible caricature of random, single-step saltation with a predetermined target the creationists put forth -- an analogy that utterly fails to represent evolution in every significant way.

The "tornado-in-a-junkyard" argument has since mutated into several variants -- one of the most common is "if I disassembled my watch and shook up the pieces in a box, I wouldn't get my watch again" -- but the basic idea, and the basic flaws, are the same.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/evolution/tornado.html

P
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:24 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:
farmerman wrote:
real life
Quote:

The Tornado in the Junkyard

The eccentric astronomer Sir Fred Hoyle once famously said that evolution was as likely as a tornado blowing through a junkyard and assembling a Boeing 747 jumbo jet. This saying was gleefully seized upon by creationists, who have promulgated it ever since as "proof" of the impossibility of evolution producing complex, highly ordered forms.

As will be shown, this argument is not even close to being an accurate representation of evolution. It is a straw man, a ridiculous caricature of how evolution works. However, it is first necessary to establish a few things about the credentials of its author. As stated above, Fred Hoyle was an astronomer -- he was not trained in biology, paleontology, population genetics, or any other field having to do with evolution. He was no more qualified to make pronouncements about evolution than any layman, and indeed his comments demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of the theory. Nevertheless, whatever he was, he was certainly not a creationist.

"The creationist is a sham religious person who, curiously, has no true sense of religion. In the language of religion, it is the facts we observe in the world around us that must be seen to constitute the words of God. Documents, whether the Bible, Qu'ran or those writings that held such force for Velikovsky, are only the words of men. To prefer the words of men to those of God is what one can mean by blasphemy. This, we think, is the instinctive point of view of most scientists who, curiously again, have a deeper understanding of the real nature of religion than have the many who delude themselves into a frenzied belief in the words, often the meaningless words, of men. Indeed, the lesser the meaning, the greater the frenzy, in something like inverse proportion." --Fred Hoyle & Chandra Wickramasinghe, Our Place in the Cosmos, p.14

"We are inescapably the result of a long heritage of learning, adaptation, mutation and evolution, the product of a history which predates our birth as a biological species and stretches back over many thousand millennia.... Going further back, we share a common ancestry with our fellow primates; and going still further back, we share a common ancestry with all other living creatures and plants down to the simplest microbe. The further back we go, the greater the difference from external appearances and behavior patterns which we observe today.... Darwin's theory, which is now accepted without dissent, is the cornerstone of modern biology. Our own links with the simplest forms of microbial life are well-nigh proven." --Fred Hoyle & Chandra Wickramasinghe, Lifecloud: The Origin of Life in the Universe, p.15-16

With that established, we turn to the tornado in the junkyard. It is the purpose of this essay to show that this analogy says nothing about the validity of evolution because it fails to represent evolution on at least four crucial counts.

It operates according purely to random chance.
It is an example of single-step, rather than cumulative, selection.
It is a saltationary jump -- an end product entirely unlike the beginning product.
It has a target specified ahead of time.

The first point is the most important. The tornado in the junkyard is an example of intricate, complex and highly ordered forms being produced by nothing more than random chance. But evolution is not chance. (See here for more on this.) Rather, it operates according to a fixed, deterministic law -- the law of natural selection -- which has the power to favor some assemblages over others; it preferentially selects for those adaptations which improve fitness and selects against those that do not. The tornado, by contrast, slams parts together and tears them apart with no preference whatsoever, thus completely failing to represent natural selection, the force which drives all of evolution. To more accurately represent evolution, one would have to grant the tornado some power to recognize assemblages of parts which could serve as part of a 747 and prevent it from tearing them apart.

Secondly, the tornado analogy is an example of single-step selection -- in one step, it goes from a random pile of parts to a fully assembled airliner. This is completely unlike evolution, which operates according to a process of cumulative selection -- complex results being built up gradually in a repetitive process guided at each step by selective forces. To more accurately represent evolution, the tornado could be sent through the junkyard not once, but thousands or millions of times, at each step preserving chance assemblages of parts that could make up a jumbo jet.

Thirdly, in relation to the point above, the tornado in the junkyard is an example of saltation -- a sudden leap in which the end product is completely different from the beginning product. Evolution does not work this way; birds do not hatch out of dinosaur eggs and monkeys do not give birth to humans. Rather, species grow different over time through a process of slow change in which each new creature is only slightly different from its ancestor, the whole forming a gradually shading continuum in which any two steps are almost indistinguishable from each other, though the creatures at the beginning and end of the continuum may be very different indeed. If we sent a tornado through a junkyard once, we would not expect to see a complete airplane; but if we repeated the process thousands or millions of times, at each step preserving useful assemblages, we might see a jumbo jet gradually taking shape out of slowly accreting collections of parts. The idea is the same with living things. We do not see complex new creatures appearing suddenly in the fossil record; rather, we see them gradually forming by a process of modification from a line of increasingly similar ancestors.

And finally, the tornado analogy fails to represent evolution in one more significant way: it has a target specified ahead of time. Evolution does not. Natural selection is not a forward-looking process; it cannot select for what may become useful in the future, only what is immediately useful in the present. To more accurately represent evolution, we might add the additional stipulation that the tornado would be allowed to assemble, not just a jumbo jet, but any functional piece of machinery.

A tornado racing through a junkyard hundreds of thousands of times, at each step somehow preserving rather than tearing apart functional assemblages of parts, with the aim of ultimately producing some sort of working machine, be it a 747, a station wagon or a personal computer. This is still not a very good analogy to describe evolution, but it's a lot better than the implausible caricature of random, single-step saltation with a predetermined target the creationists put forth -- an analogy that utterly fails to represent evolution in every significant way.

The "tornado-in-a-junkyard" argument has since mutated into several variants -- one of the most common is "if I disassembled my watch and shook up the pieces in a box, I wouldn't get my watch again" -- but the basic idea, and the basic flaws, are the same.
http://www.ebonmusings.org/evolution/tornado.html

P

Hi,

Yes I'm very familiar with Fred Hoyle, but I don't think he's one of the A2Kers that FM is referring to. That's who I was asking about.

Absolutely, Hoyle was not a creationist. He was a committed evolutionist.

He (Plumian Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge University, and was also the founder of the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge) and Wickramasinghe (Professor of Applied Mathematics and Astronomy at Cardiff University of Wales and Director of the Cardiff Centre for Astrobiology,Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society) simply recognized the mathematical impossibility of life occurring by chance on Earth in the relatively short time that has been postulated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:47 am
REAL LIFE
Quote:
Abiogenesis, if you will; which as I mentioned in another post is sold part and parcel along with Evolution to unsuspecting kiddies as one package of candy.
Unfortunately for your group, you have no comparable evidence based theory to present in opposition. Everything you spout is heavily dependent upon some bearded guy with a bedsheet, and by ignoring all scientific evidence, you keep your tale exciting.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:12 am
I don't know if everyone saw the piece in the Washington Post, but yesterday the House passed a bill that would allow Head Start programs run by faith based orgs, funded by tax dollars, to refuse to hire anyone who doesn't belong to the same Church/religion. You can find it by checking AP articles.

I guess I will just sit here and wait until the Government decides that my Baptist husband will no longer be allowed to live with his Catholic wife.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
glitterbag wrote:
I don't know if everyone saw the piece in the Washington Post, but yesterday the House passed a bill that would allow Head Start programs run by faith based orgs, funded by tax dollars, to refuse to hire anyone who doesn't belong to the same Church/religion. You can find it by checking AP articles.

I guess I will just sit here and wait until the Government decides that my Baptist husband will no longer be allowed to live with his Catholic wife.

Any country that goes out of its way to teach its children to be superstitious...and actually encourages them in that direction...

...deserves the low ratings this country is getting these days.

We have allowed the inmates to take control of the asylum.
0 Replies