How Much Reality is Too Much Reality?

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:26 pm
NPR interviewed a guy today about reality tv. He was saying we are all voyeurs and with it being on tv we don't have any guilt associated with watching.

Claims that the next reality shows will be of live births and a sperm donor contest. Said that the only thing left to happen, and he expects it to, is for actual sex scenes to be shown. This guy was being interviewed in Straffordshire, so likely referring to UK tv, not America.

The live birth wouldn't bother me since there's plenty of that on Discovery / TLC, but a Sperm Donor Contest along the lines of the Bachelor?

How far is too far before you stop watching or find it offensive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
I stopped watching when they had the naked gay guy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 06:49 pm
LOL! Naked gay guy? I missed that one.

I don't watch reality tv. Saw one of the early episodes of Survivor, maybe one of the Bachelor, but I have no interest in that kind of programming.

The closest I come is my Sunday night viewing of Extreme Makover: Home Edition.
0 Replies

Able2Believe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:24 pm
i wont lie--- i dont think i can ever stop watching it. it is addictive and i don't know why...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:24 pm
I'm with Squinney. Too much is just too much. It seems like everyone and their uncle has a reality tv show anymore. It's gone crazy! Do I care about growing up Gotti? Do I care about Britney's pregnancy? Do I care about Gene Simmons school of hard rock? Do I care about how good a dad Hulk Hogan is? Ack!!!!

I really do like Extreme Makeover Home Edition though as well. In fact, after just seeing my fiance's house that he will finally be getting back after his custody trial, Extreme Makeover is SO what is needed in that house now! In three years time, his ex has trashed it beyond recognition! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:27 pm
Drats! I was hoping to watch the sperm donor show with you, Lady J.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:33 pm
squinney, I think shows have already gone beyond "too much reality." All forms of killing and sex are available. Nothing left to the imagination.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:34 pm
squinney wrote:
LOL! Naked gay guy? I missed that one.

I don't watch reality tv. Saw one of the early episodes of Survivor, maybe one of the Bachelor, but I have no interest in that kind of programming.

The closest I come is my Sunday night viewing of Extreme Makover: Home Edition.

Same here. I watched a few of them once, like the Bachelor, Survivor, Growing up Gotti, The Osbournes and some intervention type show. Once was more than enough for me and I wish there wasn't so many of them damn shows taking up so much space, while I sit here and wait for then to have a craft channel Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
squinney wrote:
Drats! I was hoping to watch the sperm donor show with you, Lady J.

Well, I might be able to be convinced as long as it was in your company and we didn't really tell anyone about it! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:50 pm
Re: How Much Reality is Too Much Reality?
squinney wrote:
NPR interviewed a guy today about reality tv. He was saying we are all voyeurs and with it being on tv we don't have any guilt associated with watching.

<editted>

How far is too far before you stop watching or find it offensive?

I'll have to admit that the reality TV that's been cranked out in the last few years is not to my taste, but I'm reluctant to criticize others for watching it, at least publically. Each to their own, I guess.

I did just finish watching an English short series called 'The Spy', where 8 people were put through a spy training course. I guess it could be classed as a reality show. It was well done though, and intelligent.

Anyways, all this talk about reality TV brought back memories of 1960s news broadcasts where nightly we saw horrible images of goings on in Vietnam. Can't get much more real than that. I think sometimes news programs go for sensational footage, instead of just the facts. So, they could go a long ways to being more responsible. I find the BBC coverage quite good.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:02 pm
when all the CSI come back
0 Replies

maxpower hd

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:50 am
Way Too Much
I used to like watching the MTV Real World shows. But now I've been so inundated with reality shows that I have no interest in watching any of them any more. The only reality TV I watch now is the news. I've had enough. I would much rather see some new sit-coms in some of the slots. We haven't had a lot of good ones since Friends and Sienfeld went off the air.
0 Replies

rewrite

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
reality TV sucks"""" I have enough reality in my own life.
0 Replies

noobtrooperette

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:57 am
Too much reality?
Well, iguess it can be too much sometimes... but i guess the root of the addicting factor of reality TV is the fact that you come as close to being in the shoes of people in the shows. It presents reality in a more believable manner that could easily involve the viewers via the boob tube. Take for example, E!'s gastineau girls, sure you say (or in this case,type) "who want's to watch 2 rich chicks argue about 10,000$/mo apartments, diamonds etc... but still on the back of your mind you're curious... coz it happens in real life( maybe not on the life of the usual joe's/jane's) but it still happens... and your riding the next best seat...(which is in the second perspective) i only hope im makin sense here. lol
0 Replies

skinnypuppy

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:45 pm
I'm a reality show junky, actually.
surreal life
gastineau girls
my fair brady
breaking bonaduce
simple life
survivor
real world
americas next top model

gah, shoot me :/
0 Replies

hairbunny21

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 08:15 am
Oooh! reality Twisted Evil well all i can say is that some suck, some are downright entertaining, and most of the time it's senseless, like in real life. don't you agree? Anyway what's all the buzz I'm hearin' about the gastineau girls? btw i live in a hole in the ground so don't mind me Laughing
0 Replies