A definition of morality

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:50 am
Quote:
Personal Morality trumps Social Morality.

I would like to agree with that but I don't.

Quote:
This leads to a couple of strange, yet logically consistant conclusions. There are laws that I support (as a way to make a better society) that I am willing to break (because doing so benefits me or my family without causing "harm" to anyone else).

Why would that law you are choosing to break under your own definition of "harm" exist at all?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:56 am
And the question which I left relating to class etc and life expectancy hasn't been answered.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 10:22 am
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Personal Morality trumps Social Morality.

I would like to agree with that but I don't.

How do you reconcile the cases where your personal interests are in conflict with what is good for society at large? This question is relavent to morality because we are discussing morality related to "harm".

Let's take the issue of illegal immigration.

Let's say you are good friends with a family that is here illegally-- they are good people, work hard, are an important part of their community, pay taxes and have kids who have lived in the US longer than they lived in their country.

You know that under the laws, they should be deported. You also know that this would cause great harm to a family including kids who are culturally American (and didn't do anything wrong).

Here is the dillemma:

Can you help this family stay illegally in the US... while believing that immigration laws are important for society?

Assuming one believes that immigration laws are important, this comes down to an issue of personal relationships versus a broader public policy.

In this case (and in any other I can imagine) my personal morality-- i.e. friendship and community and helping others-- trumps social morality-- i.e. public laws that in principle I may support.

How do you resolve these dillemmas?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:24 am
eb-

In answer to this-
Quote:

How do you reconcile the cases where your personal interests are in conflict with what is good for society at large?

I like to think I would repress my personal interest but I'm not perfect.If I didn't I would at least feel some degree of shame and would accept any retribution if I was found out.

You pose an interesting question on the illegal immigrant issue.I would do nothing as it stands.If I was an immigration official I would be in dead trouble if the circumstances were as you posit.It would be a conscience wrestler and no mistake.If I did what I am disposed to do,and it wouldn't matter whether they were good friends,and I got fired for it I would take it on the chin.

The immigration issue is very cloudy I'm afraid.I think most philosophers would let sleeping dogs lie and attempt to bat their way out of any trouble they got into as a result.

Is that good enough?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:13 pm
djbt wrote:
Hmmm... I'll have a go, very much off top of head...

The 'wrongness' of harm is due to what harm is not the fact that it is called 'wrong'. If harm could be concretely defined, then it would make the definition non-circular:

1) Morality = a system of morals
Morals = beliefs about what is right and wrong
Right = morally good
Wrong = morally evil
Morally good = good according to a morality
Morally evil = bad according to a morality
Morality = a system of beliefs about what is good and bad according to a morality.

...see, circular, as the definition refers to the word being defined.

2) Morality = a set of beliefs intended to influence behaviour with the consequence of limiting/reducing the harm that humans do.
Harm = An experience that the subject would prefer not to experience.

... less circular, as the definition doesn't refer to the word being defined.

Or do I need more sleep?

The problem with the phrasing here is more of linguistics than philosophy. A person can't "do" right/wrong/good/evil in the same concept that they can "cause harm". Right/wrong/good/evil are all adjectives. "Harm" as you are using it is a transitive verb.

To level the playing field quit using "harm" and use harmful/harmless.
Harmful = wrong/bad/evil, Harmless = right/good.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:20 pm
Yes Mistress!
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:44 pm
Re: A definition of morality
I don't like the term morality because it stinks of chav normalcy and the smug ethics imposed on us by science.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:48 pm
John Jones wrote:
I don't like the term morality because it stinks of chav normalcy and the smug ethics imposed on us by science.

<<scratches head>>

What ethics are imposed on us by science?
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:35 pm
logicalunit42 wrote:
that isn't a definition. thats an explaination of what morality does. not its definition.

Well, to be fair I did say description/definition...

This, however, is definitely a definition:

djbt wrote:
Morality = a set of beliefs intended to influence behaviour with the consequence of limiting/reducing the harm that humans do.

fishin' wrote:
The problem with the phrasing here is more of linguistics than philosophy. A person can't "do" right/wrong/good/evil in the same concept that they can "cause harm". Right/wrong/good/evil are all adjectives. "Harm" as you are using it is a transitive verb.

To level the playing field quit using "harm" and use harmful/harmless.
Harmful = wrong/bad/evil, Harmless = right/good.

A transitive verb? It seems to me that harm is this context is a noun, as 'injury' (as opposed to injure) would be were it in the same place.

In any case, I don't see how it matters, as although you could say "something harmful would be wrong/bad/evil", the word 'harmful' is not defined as wrong/bad/evil, rather, it is defined as causing 'any kind of pain', or as I put it earlier, causing 'an experience that the subject would prefer not to experience'.

joefromchicago wrote:
If the aim of morality is to minimize harm, then that merely invites the question: why should we minimize harm? If the answer is "all things considered, less harm is better than more harm," then I think we can conclude that less harm is good and more harm is bad. And if that's the case, then "harm/no harm" is just another way of saying "bad/good."

Hmmm... it's still not circular, but I can see the objection "why should we minimise harm?" is a fair one. I would counter that it doesn't require answering, in the definition you don't have to, but if you wanted to morality would be a tool to help you.

Rather like: "A wristwatch is an object that helps you tell the time". "Why should I want to tell the time?" "I don't know, but if you did, a wristwatch could help you". Any moral system faces this problem - anyone could say "Why should I want to be good?"

Spendius, I'm not ignoring your questions, will have a go at answering in the morning....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
djbt-

Take your time.I'm in no hurry.I've forgotten what the questions were anyway.

How long ago is it since I asked them?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:52 pm
I don't think that "minimize harm" as a defintion of morality means anything... at least when applied to any of the real world ethical problems we face.

Deporting Illegal immigrants certainly is not a way to minimize harm as most immigrants will have a much worse life out of the US. Immigrants breaking the law to enter do so to provide a way out of poverty for their families which is certainly a form of "minimizing harm".

The opponents of homosexual marriage are claiming that it "harms" society. The people who want to enter same-sex marriages claims the ban harms them. Does your ethical standard help resolve this impasse?

Would you say that capital punishment is unethical? It is certainly causing harm to the individual involved, but does it minimize harm to greater society?

Can you give an example of a real world problem to which the "minimizing harm" provides any direction or insight.

I find abstract philosophical ideas with no practical value in making ethical decisions very unfulfilling.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:55 pm
djbt wrote:
A transitive verb? It seems to me that harm is this context is a noun, as 'injury' (as opposed to injure) would be were it in the same place.

Ok, if you prefer we can agree to use the word harm as a noun.

Quote:
In any case, I don't see how it matters, as although you could say "something harmful would be wrong/bad/evil", the word 'harmful' is not defined as wrong/bad/evil, rather, it is defined as causing 'any kind of pain', or as I put it earlier, causing 'an experience that the subject would prefer not to experience'.

Well now you have a real problem. If you choose to use harm as a noun then you might want to look at an actual dictionary definition.

harm (P) Pronunciation Key (härm)
n.
1. Physical or psychological injury or damage.
2. Wrong; evil.

So now you are back to your circular argument since harm is defined as wong and/or evil.

(definition courtesy of dictionary.com)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:03 pm
Quote:
Can you give an example of a real world problem to which the "minimizing harm" provides any direction or insight.

The sewage system in places like Manhattan.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
Also, what about a person stealing your items for no good reason? They are certainly not doing any observable "harm", but we can see that the action is wrong morally.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:26 am
ebrown_p wrote:
John Jones wrote:

<<scratches head>>

What ethics are imposed on us by science?

Animal experimentation, cloning, is good, all scientific facts are good and indisputable, a good human is a taught human.
Placing moral limits to the breadth and varieties of human experience by medicine, therapy etc and by referring to them as medical conditions and the subsequent promotion of fear, myth and stereotyping (panic 'attack', psychosis, mental 'disorder').
The promotion of christian old testament ethics by evolutionary biology (the selfish gene = the sinful human soul)

Our whole culture is RIDDLED with science ethics! Just take a look at it man!
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:11 am
fishin' wrote:
Well now you have a real problem. If you choose to use harm as a noun then you might want to look at an actual dictionary definition.

harm (P) Pronunciation Key (härm)
n.
1. Physical or psychological injury or damage.
2. Wrong; evil.

So now you are back to your circular argument since harm is defined as wong and/or evil.

(definition courtesy of dictionary.com)

Now this is a wee bit silly. Clearly, in this context (as I have already defined) it is meaning 1 of harm ('physical or psychological injury or damage') that is relevant, not meaning 2. The fact that the four letters h-a-r-m have another meaning, which, were it relevant, would make the argument circular, means nothing. It's like me saying 'bats can fly' and you saying, 'no they can't, look at these definitions of 'bat' '...

In any case, I've already conceded that the definition is not objective, because it presupposes a consequentialist position (that is, it is a definition of a morality rather than of morality, so is not circular, or objective). However, I do think it's a defensible position, so I'll defend it for the time being.

Ray wrote:
Also, what about a person stealing your items for no good reason? They are certainly not doing any observable "harm", but we can see that the action is wrong morally.

Have you never been robbed? It certainly causes psychological injury.

ebrown_p wrote:
I don't think that "minimize harm" as a defintion of morality means anything... at least when applied to any of the real world ethical problems we face.

Deporting Illegal immigrants certainly is not a way to minimize harm as most immigrants will have a much worse life out of the US. Immigrants breaking the law to enter do so to provide a way out of poverty for their families which is certainly a form of "minimizing harm".

A complex situation, could be a whole new thread (note: something being complex does not make it meaningless...). Perhaps a way to limit harm might be to change the law? It depends on the harm that allowing immigrants into the US would do to other people. If the harm is less than the harm that would be suffered by immigrants being deported, then deporting would increase harm, rather than limiting it. Perhaps fairer trade rules between the immigrants country of origin and the US might help...

ebrown_p wrote:
The opponents of homosexual marriage are claiming that it "harms" society. The people who want to enter same-sex marriages claims the ban harms them. Does your ethical standard help resolve this impasse?

Yes. A 'society', 'country', table or belief system does not experience (at least, to the best of our knowledge), therefore cannot be 'harmed' in the way harmed is meant in this context. Making a couple unhappy by not allowing them to marry is harming them. Opponents of same-sex marriage would have to show that allowing same-sex marriages would harm individuals for their position to have any weight by this moral system. If they claimed that the thought of same-sex couples distressed them, we would have to research and see if same-sex couples were inherently distressing, in some way. If not, then education might be a way to limit the distress, or introduction to a happy, stable same-sex couple.

Note that an argument such as 'same-sex marriage harms the soul' carries no weight, because there is no evidence for it. While it is, I suppose, possible, it is equally possible that 'lack of same-sex marriage harms the soul', so the two positions cancel each other out, and neither should be assumed to have any weight, unless evidence comes to light to suggest one or the other is true.

ebrown_p wrote:
Would you say that capital punishment is unethical? It is certainly causing harm to the individual involved, but does it minimize harm to greater society?

From what I know, capital punishment alleviates little harm on society. As far as I know, research shows it does not act as a deterrent, any more the life imprisonment does (although one might put forward the argument that life imprisonment is more harmful than death, but that's another point).

ebrown_p wrote:

Yes. On balance, donating blood minimizes harm by contributing to the preservation of someone's life.

If someone asks you a favour, and it really puts you out, but doing it would get them out of a bigger problem, it would minimize harm to do the favour.

If you have more food than you need, and someone else is starving, it minimizes harm to give them some food.

spendius wrote:
What is your view then on voluntary harm such as athletes taking drugs which will harm them.I am in favour of letting them take anything they wish but we have erected a whole system on the basis that the potential harm they will do to themselves and others who follow their example is morally wrong.

A tough one. I suspect that the best way to minimise harm would be to persuade them not to take the drugs. Perhaps an examination of why they want to take the drugs would help. Perhaps the intensity of competition is itself harmful, and the drug acts to minimise this harm. In that case, perhaps looking for a way to make the situation less competitive would help, though this might have other harmful consequences. Hey, I never said it was simple...

spendius wrote:
You might clue me in on your position on the different life expectancy rates by class and occupation and,indeed,nationality.I am disposed to think that you both view a class system involving such discrepancies as morally "wrong".

Well, I would agree that an imbalance in possession of material goods that affect life expectancy is harmful. To minimise harm, we should look for a way to remove this harm, without causing more. Perhaps starting by looking for ways to produce more of the material goods which raise life expectancy, and distributing them effectively, would help.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:44 am
djbt

Quote:
The Non-existence of God[/i], p.248, Nicholas Everitt"]Morality is a way (the best way we have so far found) of limiting the colossal harm which people can do to each other.

Unlike 'a system of morals', and 'a system of beliefs concerning right and wrong and/or good and evil', this definition does not have the somewhat circular requirement of agreement on what 'morals', 'right', 'wrong', 'good' or 'evil' mean. It only require that we agree on what 'harm' means.

But this definition supposes already right and wrong - wrong being "the colossal harm" people can do.
A moral without a theist basis is possible, but must always accept the concepts of right and wrong.
In the case of the definition you quoted there is a problem, as you pointed: the definition of "harm". You can be a religious fundamentalist and think that all ideas or theories that do not adjust to a religious book are not only false but able to cause harm to people.
This means that the problem is not solved, since you are again in a position where right and wrong (the harm) depend on previous ideas.

I propose this old principle: do not do to the others anything you wouldn't want be done to you. After all killers don't want to be killed. Thiefs don't want to be robbed. Rapists don't want to be raped. Religious fundamentalists don't want to be denied the right of following their beliefs.
This principle as I propose it has not any religious source, and I present it as self evident.
The know argument of masochism does not collide with that principle:
Even masochists don't want the pain for the pain. They want the pain because it gives them pleasure. So, what they really want is pleasure.

If that principle is followed, then thiefs would not steal, killers would not kill, fundamentalists should be tolerant.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:55 am
John Jones wrote:

Animal experimentation, cloning, is good, all scientific facts are good and indisputable, a good human is a taught human.
Placing moral limits to the breadth and varieties of human experience by medicine, therapy etc and by referring to them as medical conditions and the subsequent promotion of fear, myth and stereotyping (panic 'attack', psychosis, mental 'disorder').
The promotion of christian old testament ethics by evolutionary biology (the selfish gene = the sinful human soul)

<<shrugs quizzically>>

That's silly. I sense you have a big dogmatic axe to grind here, but it doesn't make any sense.

Science imposes no ethics (including the ones you list).

Science is a process. It's only ability is to reach conclusions based on evidence. It provides "facts" that are supported by evidence... and nothing else. What you do with the facts is where you start to get into ethics, but nothing else.

The process of Science:

- Says the Earth Revolves around the Sun. (based on evidence)
- Is the foundation of an airplane based on Bernoullis Principle (and they fly)
- Based on a subject system of Mathematics which is Universally accepted.
- Is used in a system of research to reach conclusions that have been shown effective in curing disease and prolonging life.
- Is what you are depending on right now to read this message (which was sent as electrons and photons over a network, then converted to light which you are now seeing-- all of which would never have happened were it not for thousands of very intelligent people practicing several fields of science).

The Process of Science does not:

- Say whether we should clone or experiment on animals.
- Place any limits on the breadth of human experience.
- Promote old testament ethics (I think you may have this backwards, so)
- Prevent you from promoting old testament ethics-- science doesn't say that you shouldn't kill a woman by throwing stones at her if she doesn't pass a purity test on her wedding night.

Our culture is not riddled with Science ethics. There is no such thing as an ethic that is imposed by science.

You can be a perfectly fine scientist who hates homosexuals, follows the ten commandments makes clones or steals. Science is completely silent on ethical issues.

The real ethics about how we should control science (notices that it is the ethics conrolloing the science not the other way around) are quite interesting. The fact that we can clone a human, doesn't mean that we should (this is the separation).

An interesting historical example was the creation of the nuclear bomb. The brilliant scientific minds who created this horrible weapon couldn't agree on how or whether to use it. Their minds were completely in agreement on the scientific process of how to make it, but the ethics evaded them. Some scientists (i.e. Einstein) felt it should never be used. Others (i.e. Teller and Openheimer) felt it was a fine tool for foreign policy.

Science just gives you facts that have been supported by the blind scientific process. Any ethics, you need to figure out some other way.

But that's why God invented religion.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:11 am
ebrown_p wrote:
John Jones wrote:

<<shrugs quizzically>>

That's silly. I sense you have a big dogmatic axe to grind here, but it doesn't make any sense.

Science imposes no ethics (including the ones you list).

Science is a process. It's only ability is to reach conclusions based on evidence. It provides "facts" that are supported by evidence... and nothing else. What you do with the facts is where you start to get into ethics, but nothing else.

Our culture is not riddled with Science ethics. There is no such thing as an ethic that is imposed by science.

Science is completely silent on ethical issues.
Science just gives you facts that have been supported by the blind scientific process. Any ethics, you need to figure out some other way.

Science is always imploring us to use its 'breakthroughs'.
The selfish gene? Yes, its old testament ethics resurrected.
Psychology, medicine, therapy? Social Ethics is their foundation, their guide.

If you say that 'finding out things' defines the neutral activities of science, then you are wrong. First the 'things' we define, look for, interpret as, or find out, are defined by ethics. Second, if science is merely 'finding out' then when did we ever not engage in this activity? Science is not the process of finding out.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:18 am
dj,

You are missing the point of my argument (complexity has nothing to do with it).

I want a philosophical tool that will clarify real ethical issues. A good tool provides a real metric that I can use to measure ethical decisions. I thought that was what was on offer.

I was pointing out that the "minimize harm" standard serve this purpose. Every society and every individual base their ethics on subjective values. If you tell everyone to "minimize harm", it isn't going to change anything since the term "harm" is just interpreted based on your preheld ideas of ethics.

Any side of any issue can be considered to be "minimizing harm". Giving Blood is considered "harmful" by several groups (including Jehova's witnesses), so a ban on giving blood is ethical by this standard.

My interest in this discussion is to find logical standards for ethics that are useful in making decisions in an open pluralistic society (in a closed homogenous society ethics are simple).

I like the idea of "social contract" and I think this must be at the center of any modern multicultural system of ethics (I would love a counter example).

My idea is to separate personal from social ethics and to use hedonism for personal life and a utilitarian view for social ethics.

This is the only way I have found to resolve the "illegal immigrant" dilemma (which, by the way, is something more than a theoretical question for me).
0 Replies