For the high-protein diet fans

Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:20 pm
Found this article very interesting. I tried Atkins some time ago to lose some weight, and didn't take to it very well. Personally, as a chef, I stick to the balanced approach, and know that the real reason I can't lose as much weight as I want to is lack of exercise, not an abundance of calories or fat. Anyway, this was quite intriguing:

http://www.mochasofa.com/health/program/articles/02230105.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,209 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Wed 2 Apr, 2003 12:19 pm
I found it useful too, and copied it. Thanks, Cav!
0 Replies

JerryR

Sat 5 Apr, 2003 06:53 am
Hi All,

Nice article, I'm really not a fan of the Atkins program as I don't think it transitions well once you have reached your goal. I have recently lost about 40lbs through moderating my eating and light exercise.

Here's my "Devil's Advocate" stance though: There's nothing healthy about anything in this situation. Being overweight isn't good for you, depriving yourself of calories isn't good for you, neither is depriving yourself of carbs.....It's the result that's the healthy part. So like many other things the body can do, alot of it is mind over matter. A program that you believe in, is going to work alot better. It's a means to an end. So whatever it takes to get you there, is the right thing for you.

I happen to believe that a more balanced, lower calorie diet is a better choice, and will make the move back to normal eating habits easier, as it is less of a shock to the body. I also think that it is better for you, mentally, to be able to have whatever it is you're craving, even if it is just a taste of it. I think you're less apt to "fall off the wagon" if you're not completely depriving yourself of things.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Tue 8 Apr, 2003 07:25 am
Here here Jerry, my turn for devil's advocate: a good Atkins diet could consist of speed, vodka and roadkill...ok, he does not advocate the use of speed, I made that up. Very Happy I agree though, a balanced diet and a bit of exercise is the best approach. We should remember that diets like Atkins and the Zone were developed for rapid weight loss, hence their popularity in Hollywood. They were never intended as lifestyle choices.
0 Replies

chemist

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 08:48 am
Although Atkins works, it IS harsh... as you all know. But I'll tell you, if you are active enough (not just with regimented exercise) you can eat whatever you like. I learned that in the military Smile
0 Replies

Jim

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:06 am
There are a couple of ladies in Camp who have noticably lost a lot of weight with a low carbohydrate diet. It's seemed to have worked for them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:27 am
I work with some people who are on their 2nd and 3rd round of the Atkins, another is doing the Zone for the second time, and still another is doing the Dr. Bernstein for the 2nd time. They're doing great with the weight-loss, but since none of them are exercising, it looks like they're all going to regain the weight AGAIN. My doctor warned me against the Atkins - maybe he'd read the stuff cavfancier's link is about? I was told to eat a balanced diet and exercise. Whoohoo, that's revolutionary! No - it's just sensible.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 10:55 am
Interesting article. I recently tried the Adkin's diet just to firm up -- I only wanted to lose five pounds or so, but thought that the diet might help me build muscle in my workouts. I liked it because I wasn't hungry as much, and when I was hungry it wasn't a painful, urgent hunger. But I also developed insomnia, and a couple of friends who tried the diet had the same problem. The energy was great at first, but after several nights of just a few hours sleep, I was ready to scream. So I had to make a huge helping of pasta with white clam sauce to cure me -- and I'm still trying to get back on a normal sleep schedule.

I agree that it seems to be more for those who need to lose a lot of weight rather than a few pounds or to firm up -- because it really does do funky things to your system.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:16 am
Since posting this thread, I have lost 30 lbs. just eating less, making better food choices, especially when I am on the run, and getting out more. Now that I have dropped the weight, I will be starting a quick and easy muscle-toning workout that my brother helped me with to help burn fat. Fad diets are bogus, and according to my brother, so are overly-intense workouts. If this thread keeps going, I'll keep you informed! I now know how to do proper push-ups and squats....let's see where it leads me! Bottom line: Losing weight sadly comes down to simply burning more calories than you take in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:23 am
that's great, cav!
our office is moving in a month. a group of us is looking for a nearby gym to see if we can get a deal on a group membership - i'm going to go back to lunchtime work-outs. I need to rev up the metabolism again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 01:06 pm
I really really need to, not so much for weight reasons (though it would be nice to drop some pounds) as sanity reasons. I'm currently going through a funk that I think is directly attributable to not enough exercise. Will be starting something in a few weeks (free childcare on premises) and can't wait.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:03 pm
And I have lost all the fitness I had gained because of being sick for a couple of months!

Finally well enough to begin exercising again this last weekend - how come it takes so much to build it, and nothing to lose it?
0 Replies

littlek

Sun 27 Jul, 2003 02:38 pm
Argh - just lost my whole post!

Ehem.

As many of you know, my cat is diabetic and I know that ketoacidosis is a bad thing. Granted, it's a bad thing for a diabetic and I don't know how it translates for a non-diabetic. The article was very interesting, cav, thanks!
0 Replies