Rest in Peace (though not silently), Arno Penzias

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 12:06 pm
Whom?

Penzias was a physicist and he was one of the people who confirmed the Big Bang theory (which won him a piece of the Nobel Prize in Physics in '78). How did he do this?

It was through sound.

In the mid-60s, Penzias was working on microwave receivers for Bell Labs, and he kept getting sound interference, a hiss of radio waves. He and his colleagues speculated as to what it could be, including equipment failure * and even pigeon droppings on their stuff.

It turned out to be the echoes of the sound of the Big Bang, er, banging. Bigly. Very Happy

He was 90.
https://physicsworld.com/a/arno-penzias-nobel-laureate-who-co-discovered-echo-of-big-bang-dies-aged-90/

* PS I know about the equipment failure not from news stories but because it was how my father actually met Penzias (and they were pals for several years). This young engineer came to him, looking for replacement equipment to try to get rid of that damned racket. So, my dad discussed the problem with him and gave him transistors and whatnot from the stock at I think it was Dumont Labs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 122 • Replies: 0
No top replies