New TV series: Young Sheldon

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 07:20 pm
Young Sheldon recently cast its star, setting Big Little Lies actor Iain Armitage as the young version of Jim Parsons' Sheldon Cooper, with Zoe Perry taking on the role of his mother, Mary Cooper, that was originally played by the actress' mother, Laurie Metcalfe.

In picking up the comedy to series, CBS has also released Young Sheldon's formal logline, filled out its cast and set the pilot director. The project will revolve around a 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper (Armitage) as he lives with his family in East Texas and goes to high school. The concept was originally described as Malcolm in the Middle with a young Sheldon. Lance Barber, Raegan Revord and Montana Jordan have also joined the cast. Details on their roles are being kept under wraps, though sources tell THR that Revord will play a young version of Sheldon's twin sister Missy; Barber will play George, Sheldon and Missy's father and Mary's husband; and Jordan will play George Jr., Sheldon's older brother.

Young Sheldon hails from Big Bang Theory creator Lorre and showrunner Molaro. Fellow Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady is not attached to the prequel series. Jon Favreau is set to direct and executive produce the pilot. Parsons will narrate the comedy as Adult Sheldon. Lorre, Molaro, Parsons and Todd Spiewak will exec produce the single-camera series (marking a change from Big Bang Theory, which is a multicamera comedy). A premiere date has not yet been determined.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 08:29 pm
http://cdn3.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2017/02/iain_armitage_jim_parsons_-_getty_-_h_split_2017_0.jpg
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I suppose it could prove successful; although, I'd prefer they left all the prequel stuff to the way the characters on the current show describe their past. Quite frankly, Sheldon's childhood might work for a made for t.v. movie; but, anything much past that would be decidedly annoying.

Besides which, wasn't the child-genius thing already done with Doogie Howser, M.D.?

It took me a half dozen years before I watched B.B., the occasional brush with it never grabbed me. Then one night in boredom, I gave it's whirl. TBS runs 3 hours of it consecutive a few nights a week, that's how I got caught.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 08:44 pm
I am always on the lookout for a good sitcom. I hope this one measures up.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 03:24 am
@edgarblythe,
10 current/recent British sitcoms significantly funnier than BBT, which is a byword for unfunny over here.

1) Uncle
2) Plebs
3) Chickens
4) House Of Fools
5) Friday Night Dinner
6) People Do Nothing
7) Citizen Khan
8) Still Open All Hours
9) Man Down
10) This Is Jinsy

As far as American comedies go, the best tend to be animated, but this is a real gem.

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:09 am
@izzythepush,
Sheldon is obviously suffering from Asbergers. Thats funny only once, then it becomes a bit sad for others who know they are on the "Spectrum". Kinda like having a comedy show with characters who all stutter.
I saw one episode Open All NIght. I guess ya have to be British. Ill check the others on-line.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:29 am
I only watch BB about four or five times per season. I don't enjoy most British comedies because I can't understand most of what they are saying. The accents. I have a hard time breaking down sound so that I follow the words even in American English with many shows. Speaking as one who actually has Asperger's it's a problem I have had all of my life.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:49 am
@farmerman,
I don't think it's funny making fun of people on the spectrum full stop. They have enough on their plates as it is.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 05:16 am
@izzythepush,
S somone "on the spectrum" I speak from wee bit of expeeience and a life of work. All I can say is that, many times the very people you are trying to shelter, want to laugh at themselves and be included and be assured that"hey we are here for you and maybe our humor at your condition will help to expose the truth " .
Humor can be a great leveler. Dale was just missing the mark, you seem to be perching waay up on your pedestal again, I dont know which is less annoying.
0 Replies