Why the Christian god is imperfect and unfair

izzythepush

Sun 3 Dec, 2023 04:24 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You're so lucky to have Hightor explaining why he's so very clever, smarter even than God.
kjw47

Sun 3 Dec, 2023 04:55 pm
@hightor,
The bible doesn't teach that God is omniscient. Men who live in darkness made that up.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 08:24 am
@hightor,
G*D changed his mind as he sees that free will doesn't make man free. He went from any broken law was condemnation to sacrifice to get one straight, to destruction of that creation to saving one family, to sacrificing Christ who saves us with his Grace. Those are not dithering level changes. This is a being who 'thinks' it through as the 'evidence' gathers.

Christ came to "tear down the Temple" and revise the law to "Believe in G*D", love each other and treat each other as we'd want ourselves treated. When the laws of the old testament were obsolete and unfollowable, Christ came to Earth.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 08:26 am
@izzythepush,
And without realizing that his cleverness and smartness derives from the Creator.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 08:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
John Hurt as Caligula in the last episode of I Claudius where he appears in a vision along with the other emperors.

"Do you know I wasn't the messiah after all?
You could have knocked me down with a feather when they told me that."
bobsal u1553115

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
Just started watching that again on Brit Box. I don't remember John Hurt as Little Boots. I do remember the character of Germanicus, but not who played him. There should be a series on Livia.
hightor

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 09:13 am
@kjw47,
Quote:
The bible doesn't teach that God is omniscient.

You're right there – the bible doesn't teach anything by itself, it's inanimate.

Quote:
Men who live in darkness made that up.

Maybe the men who wrote the bible should have hired some editors:

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord and abundant in strength;
His understanding is infinite.

1 John 3:20
in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.

Psalm 139:4
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O Lord, You know it all.

Matthew 10:30
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

Psalm 147:4
He counts the number of the stars;
He gives names to all of them.

Hebrews 4:13
And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Psalm 139:1-4
For the choir director. A Psalm of David.
O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.

Psalm 44:21
Would not God find this out?
For He knows the secrets of the heart.

1 Chronicles 28:9
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

Isaiah 40:28
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.

Isaiah 46:9-10
“Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;

Psalm 139:1-3

1 Kings 8:39
then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men,

Acts 1:24
And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two you have chosen."
hightor

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 09:21 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
This is a being who 'thinks' it through as the 'evidence' gathers.

Sounds like you're trying to "humanize" God.

Quote:
When the laws of the old testament were obsolete and unfollowable, Christ came to Earth.

And adapted elements of pagan philosophy to make his message more credible!
Frank Apisa

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 10:15 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
The bible doesn't teach that God is omniscient.

You're right there – the bible doesn't teach anything by itself, it's inanimate.

Quote:
Men who live in darkness made that up.

Maybe the men who wrote the bible should have hired some editors:

Psalm 147:5
Great is our Lord and abundant in strength;
His understanding is infinite.

1 John 3:20
in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.

Psalm 139:4
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O Lord, You know it all.

Matthew 10:30
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

Psalm 147:4
He counts the number of the stars;
He gives names to all of them.

Hebrews 4:13
And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Psalm 139:1-4

Psalm 44:21
Would not God find this out?
For He knows the secrets of the heart.

1 Chronicles 28:9
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

Isaiah 40:28
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth
Does not become weary or tired.
His understanding is inscrutable.

Isaiah 46:9-10
“Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;

Psalm 139:1-3

1 Kings 8:39
then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men,

Acts 1:24
And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two you have chosen."

OUCH!

Just saying that for kjw.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 11:21 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I've just seen it again on BBCi.

It's a first for my kids.

I don't think John Hurt appears until episode 5 or 6.

Around about the same time as Cpt. John Luc Picard.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 4 Dec, 2023 03:33 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Maybe not, after all, weren't we created in his image?

Quote:
When the laws of the old testament were obsolete and unfollowable, Christ came to Earth.

G*D evolves. Maybe we are merely blind men who believe an elephant is gawd and we all are trying define him by whatever part that we touch or or it touches us.

One thing that sustains me is the almost messianic vehemence some deny G*D in any form. For that sort of energy to be generated over something they don't believe exists, it seems to indicate there is something here for me in faith.
Frank Apisa

Tue 5 Dec, 2023 05:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

hightor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

G*D evolves. Maybe we are merely blind men who believe an elephant is gawd and we all are trying define him by whatever part that we touch or or it touches us.

One thing that sustains me is the almost messianic vehemence some deny G*D in any form. For that sort of energy to be generated over something they don't believe exists, it seems to indicate there is something here for me in faith.

Anyone who insists there are no gods...is making the same mistake the people who insist there is a particular GOD are making. They are offering a blind guess about the REALITY of existence...and attempting to do so in disguise by referring to their blind guess as a "belief."

If either of those positions helps you cope with life...fine. Go with it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But both stances are nothing but blind guesses about the REALITY.

"Faith" is nothing but insistence that a particular blind guess is correct. It is more properly related to stubborness than conviction.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 5 Dec, 2023 06:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:

No, we created "God" in our image. As you conveniently demonstrated.
Quote:

Again, you've got it turned it around. It's our conception of "God" that evolves. I find the Christian perspective to be a rather limited one and wonder why people still try to force the possibility of psychological transcendence into such a restricted form, one based on an eastern Mediterranean nomadic culture from a few thousand years ago.
Quote:
One thing that sustains me is the almost messianic vehemence some deny G*D in any form.

I haven't provided you with this sustenance, however. I have not denied "God" in any form. I simply reject the authority of the scriptures. I haven't done this with any "vehemence" and I have no "messianic" pretensions. I didn't start this thread; I haven't started any threads on the topic. Like you, I joined the discussion because aspects of religious faith interest me. You use the opportunity to explain and defend your beliefs, I use it to question other's assumptions and explain my skepticism.
Quote:
For that sort of energy to be generated over something they don't believe exists, it seems to indicate there is something here for me in faith.

Any "energy" generated is derived from the social tension caused by religion. It has nothing to do with the belief or non-belief in "God's" existence, it's about the political power of christianism and the questionable interpretations of 2000 year old texts.
The Anointed

Fri 1 Mar, 2024 10:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Christ came to "tear down the Temple" and revise the law to "Believe in G*D", love each other and treat each other as we'd want ourselves treated. When the laws of the old testament were obsolete and unfollowable, Christ came to Earth.

The man Jesus was the temple of the Lord, who came down in the form of a dove and filled that temple with his spirit=words on the day that Jesus was baptized, It was the Lord who said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19; "I will send them a prophet like you from among their own people; I will put MY WORDS in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command, and whosoever will not heed MY WORDS, which he shall speak in MY NAME, I will surely punish, etc.”

It was the Lord speaking through the mouth of his servant Jesus, who said, ‘’Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up, as revealed in the scriptures as follows. Acts 5: 30; The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you slew and hanged on a tree.

Acts 13: 30; But God raised him from the dead: and he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee, etc.

1st Corinthians 6: 14; And God has both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

2nd Corinthians 1: 9; But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead.

2nd Corinthians 4: 14; knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence.

Acts 17: 31; For He (The Lord God our Saviour) has fixed a day (The great Sabbath day of one thousand years) in which he shall judge the whole world with justice by means of a MAN he has CHOSEN. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising that MAN from death.

Quote:
G*D changed his mind as he sees that free will doesn't make man free. He went from any broken law was condemnation to sacrifice to get one straight, to destruction of that creation to saving one family, to sacrificing Christ who saves us with his Grace. Those are not dithering level changes. This is a being who 'thinks' it through as the 'evidence' gathers.

A teacher of the Law came up and tried to trap Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to receive eternal life?”
Jesus answered him, “What do the Scriptures say? How do you interpret them?”
The man answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind’; and ‘Love your Neighbour as you love yourself.’ ”
“You are right,” Jesus replied, “do this and you will live.”

For the whole law is fulfilled in those two commands.

0 Replies

The Anointed

Sat 2 Mar, 2024 05:58 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
No, we created "God" in our image.

Are you saying that we created God, or that we created the living already existing GOD to be in the image of mankind.

Quote:
It's our conception of "God" that evolves.

Correct, our knowledge of God evolves as our scientific minds gather more data about the living universe which is the manifestation of the creator.

Romans 1, 18-20; God's anger is revealed from heaven against all the sin and evil of the people whose evil ways prevent the truth from being known. God punishes them, because what can be known about God is plain to them, for God himself made it plain. Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are perceived in the creation itself.

The story of creation was told to our primitive ancestors in its most basic form, knowing that the creation story would evolve with the evolution of the mind of man.

For the Word of God can be likened to a star that’s being ever brightened
By the mind of man reaching ever higher, but those who deviate, they’re liars
In God’s word, man’s mind can grow but those outside, they’re like the snow
That settles on the desert sand and will melt away before ‘I AM.’ ……. The Anointed.

God is eternal having neither beginning or end.

The first law of thermodynamics is the same as the first law of conservation and that is, that energy can neither be created or destroyed, having neither beginning or end.

The most popular theory as to the origin of our expanding universe, is the Big Bang theory, which, according to our best scientific minds began with a singularity, a region of space-time in which matter is crushed so closely together that the gravitational laws explained by general relativity break down. In a singularity, the volume of space is zero and its density is infinite. Scientists believe such a singularity exists at the core of a black hole, which occurs when a super-massive sun reaches the end of its life and implodes.

General relativity also demands such a singularity must exist at the beginning of an expanding universe. In other words, this entire universe was once contained in a Black HOLE from which nothing can escape not even light, that is, nothing can escape from the mouth of that monster which swallowed a universe and ripped it to pieces crushing it back to the singularity from which it had originated and eventually spewing it out of a White Hole, or Einstein Rosen bridge.

In 1935, Einstein and physicist Nathan Rosen used the theory of general relativity to elaborate on the idea of black holes and worm holes, proposing the existence of "bridges" through space-time. These bridges connect two different points in space-time, theoretically creating a shortcut that could reduce travel time and distance; Billions of light years to mere kilo-metres.

But the wife has some urgent choirs lined up for me, so, time permitting and God willing I will return after the wife’s wishes are fulfilled.

glitterbag

Sat 2 Mar, 2024 11:44 pm
Choir or chore? I'm confused.
The Anointed

Sun 3 Mar, 2024 12:04 am
@The Anointed,
I'm back.
Continued from previous post.

A worm Hole, or Einstein Rosen bridge could theoretically be used as a method for sending information or Travellers through space, unfortunately, physical matter which includes humans journeying through the space tunnels would appear to be an impossibility as there are strong indications that material objects travelling through a worm hole is forbidden by the law of physics.

But now that it has been discovered that Physical matter is but an illusion, and all is, but the eternal energy, perhaps one day, new technology with new gigantic quantum computers, we may be able to identify the unique wobble of each individual atom and map the atomic structure of every human body and develop a way to teleport bodies of energy along light beams and then reconstruct them to their original form, with no damage done. Beam me up Scotty.

I believe that it will happen during the thousand years of peace, it’s recorded in the human psyche.

Are we really learning more about God or simply learning about our innermost self. In communicating with your inner most being, are you in reality communing with God, I believe so.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 3 Mar, 2024 01:24 am
@glitterbag,
They can be very insistant with their madrigals and so on.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Sun 3 Mar, 2024 03:28 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Choir or chore? I'm confused.

Well, I don’t know why you should be so confused. I would have thought that you were intelligent enough to understand that everyone who writes, will someday make a typo.

Take for instance your sentence in the thread, ‘’Question about Egypt.’’

Quote:
Frankly I din't know what else you should check, if you'er Americans. If you belong to a differrent group, please check your country's guidance. Everyone wants thier citizens to remain safe.

din't/didn’t, differrent/different, thier/their and of course ‘’YOU’ER.’’

I am intelligent enough to understand that you meant: 'YOU'RE'', which is a combination of the words you and are. This is called a contraction. So, whenever you see the word you're, you can read it as ‘’you are’’ and it will still make sense, while the word 'YOU'ER' makes no sense at all.

What do they say about people who live in glass houses?
izzythepush

Sun 3 Mar, 2024 07:35 am
@The Anointed,
What's bloody wrong with you?

Most people would shrug and move on.

It must have something to do with insisting on being right all of the effing time.