Disgust

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:10 am
I think the inevitable attatchment that accompanies physical relationships is the setback if your goal is to be free of the entaglements of the material world, or maya. But sex is only the tip of the iceberg.

Myself, I am not celibate, and there are, in addition to sex, a lot of other attatchments for me to break out of. But I have conflicting ambitions. One one hand I want to realize my wish to be a musician, I long for recognition and status, and on the other I want to be free of all entanglements, free of karma, to forget the world and be forgotten by it. So I am at present standing more or less still. An advancement in one area means setback in the other. So this:

Quote:
It renders him pliable when he is ruled by his lust and his squirmings in the field of philosophy and theology are attempts to try to have it both ways.

...is something I can relate to. But regardles, I'm proceeding.

About the population, I believe that most of our problems would be far smaller if we were less people. But I don't think that the size of the population is the main cause of all shyt. I'd say ignorance holds that title, along with people's stubborn refusal to remedy it.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:25 am
Cyr -

This is something I can agree and relate with you on. I too have always felt a desire to distance myself from..my "self". Since you seem familar with Buddhism, I'll assume you understand that I mean. Ego, materials, emotions, attatchments, self, etc... There is a certain mindset that I'm fond of that makes me want to throw it all away. But then, reality sets in (or at least the reality I've created for myself, a blanket if you will) and I realize that I don't want to lose my lover, my friends, my animals. I could possibly over time learn to adapt without shelter, things like this computer and television are meaningless to me in the grand scheme of things. But my hang-up is my attatchment to others. It's unfortunate, because what an amazing life you could live if we were truly able to follow the footsteps of Siddhartha.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:30 am
Also, agreeing with both Spend, I do think population is a major factor in this world's state. But I mean the existance of humans, period. If there were no humans to inhabit this earth, it would no doubt be in healthier shape. Nature would have created a 'top dog' to prey on the overpopulated animals, but it wouldn't have the ability to freely think as we so arrogantly do. That's my dream for this planet - not less war, not less people - merely NO people. I would gladly off myself if the rest of the world were willing to aswell. Of course, I'd wait 5 seconds after everyone was supposed to, just to make sure they actually did it :wink:

Extreme? Yes, but I do think this planet - domistic animals in need of human care (never been in the wilderness before) aside - would be far better off without any humans, not just less of them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:55 am
Quote:
But I have conflicting ambitions. On one hand I want to realize my wish to be a musician, I long for recognition and status, and on the other I want to be free of all entanglements, free of karma, to forget the world and be forgotten by it. So I am at present standing more or less still. An advancement in one area means setback in the other.

Quote:
I'd say ignorance holds that title, along with people's stubborn refusal to remedy it.

What are you going to do about recognition and status being in the gift of ignorance and stubbornness?

There's an old expression which James Joyce revived-agenbite of inwit-the prick of conscience.
Others have wrestled with it.Stendhal said that he wrote for maybe a few dozen in the whole of Paris.
Flaubert's letters cover it all and Bob Dylan does nothng else.

If I was to be absolutely frank,which I think you have earned the right for,I would say you haven't done nearly enough homework.And I know time is so short.
How about a year off everything studying-not just reading or listening-studying these guys and the places they lead to.Don't see a book as something to get through-see it as if you're sat at the feet of a master hanging on every word.I'll add on Proust.
"I'll teach you how to pick and choose
And how to throw the blade."

But I don't know your money situation.

You can always listen to Mozart for relaxation.

On the music side just love the sound you make.

It is tough reaching for your ambitions without selling out to ignorance.These guys I mention,and there are others,made it.

If it takes longer than you think you have you could always be a movie director.

I would keep that name too.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:23 am
Oh Sancti-

Miss Emily.

About an hour ago I put a song on Letty's WA2K radio thread (General).I had just heard Dylan do it and I was thinking of Miss Emily as it went by.
I spent a whole summer's day in Haworth once trying to imagine Emily.I walked the moors,I stood before her tomb,I saw the couch where she died and when nobody was looking I kicked her father's chair.Even the stunted tufts of grass brought her back to me.

Have you been there.I intend going in a storm sometime.The place was packed with people from all over the world.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:18 am
Curious wording... ""the gift of ignorance and stubbornness".

But what to do... That question leads me to think that maybe I've been going about this all wrong. Does the fool resent the wisdom of the intellectual? It would have to be called the folishness of stupidity. And the intellectual's resentment of ignorance, isn't that the foolishness of wisdom?

Sorry for speaking in riddles, but I'm asking myself as much as anyone else. It just seems that the remedy for ignorance is to be the one who has most of it... "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is a crazy bastard. What the hell is he on about... "

As for your old expression, I can't say that I get it.
So maybe I haven't done my homework...

Quote:
"I'll teach you how to pick and choose
And how to throw the blade."

I have this "philosophy" that the picking and chosing is self guiding to the person who knows his destination. And for he who doesn't, the choice of path is really irrelevant since, to him, all choises are equal. So I'll try to remain open and let life tell me who and what I am.

But thanks for the encouragement.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:44 am
Cyracuz quoted "in the gift of ignorance and stubbornness" in my previous post as-

Quote:
Curious wording... ""the gift of ignorance and stubbornness".

It does seem curious wording if the "in" is not included.I used "in the gift" in the way it is used when a sinecure position is said to be "in the gift of the Prime Minister".I meant that it is only by pandering to ignorance and stubbornness can he realise the ambition he expressed of seeking fame fairly easily.The hard way is difficult and often unrewarding and I mentioned a few who managed it to some extent.One needs to have a few tricks up one's sleeves as well as a deft wrist for that.

Bob Dylan said -Open The Door Homer-so is Homer where to start?If so then the garden path comes before the door and learning to read properly might be symbolised by it.Only a stubborn,ignorant fool thinks he can read properly.

Of course the fool resents the intellectual.That has been the case for many years.Ovid was resented.

The intellectual doesn't resent the fool.That would be like resenting Mt Blanc or The Atlantic Ocean.The intellectual finds the fool a constant source of amusement and not least for the novelties of the foolishness.They have so far proved limitless as well as unpredictable.Foolishess has many faces whereas the intellectual has only one.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:31 am
Well, wether your a fool or not the problem is still telling those faces apart. Only a fool can find another fool's face ridiculous.

But if the intellectual doesn't resent the fool, then what was his ambition to rise above foolishness? Does he see himself as the neglected sheperd? Foolish if he does...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:01 am
Cyr-

The intellectual has no ambition to rise above anything.He simply finds himself in a certain state of mind which seems naturally to lend itself to certain expression forms.If he sees himself as a neglected shepherd he's no intellectual.

I suppose he ought really to become a hermit but then again why should he?The social system he happens to have arrived in can be a cave.He is justified in following the instinct of self preservation.

I only used "fool" because it had been brought in.I wouldn't normally use such a word.Also I was referring to the word "resent" which I hadn't brought in.I can't see a case for an intellectual resenting anything.I was merely responding to a polarity of intellectuals and fools given by your post.
0 Replies