Do you salt your pasta water?

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 03:13 pm
Does "science" say to salt pasta water? #shorts #throwbackthursday #science #SciShow

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Mame

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 03:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Absolutely, with kosher salt.
engineer

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, but not to make the pasta cook faster per the video. Salting the water is a great way to add flavor.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 05:04 pm

yup to both ^^ replies...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2023 06:52 pm
If I forget to add it, I know immediately as soon as I taste it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 07:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Yes, but not to make the pasta cook faster per the video. Salting the water is a great way to add flavor.

The video basically says the practice of salting water to make it cook faster is moot/negligible because the amount most people add to a given pot only raise it 0.05 C degrees. So, not really making it cook any noticeably faster.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 03:45 pm
If water is chlorinated (veery common in No. American water supplies) and table salt is added which is Iodized (very common too) harmful compounds may then form which could be a health hazard.

Furthermore, adding salt to pasta water raises the boiling temp about 1 deg F, which may help pasta cook through more thoroughly. I never noticed any difference.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2023 08:09 am
Pasta cooked in water that is not salted is nuts. Pasta requires salt in its cooking water to give a bit of taste. The various sauces used add to the taste, but if the water has not been salted, anyone with taste buds that work can tell the difference...and the difference is hugely negative.

I accept that some may disagree.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2023 04:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Pasta water has got to seriously salted.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 06:18 am
Not about pasta but I've used a recipe for small boiled potatoes which call for as much as a cup and a half of non-iodized salt in two quarts of water. The super-heated solution makes for creamy potatoes which are covered with a thin film of salt after they drain. Very tasty.

Quote:
Syracuse salt potatoes are a regional specialty of Syracuse, New York, aka "Salt City." Salt potatoes date to the 1800s, and were invented by local salt mine workers who created a simple and inexpensive lunch by boiling small potatoes in brine. The potatoes are still very popular today with the Central New York crowd, making an incredibly easy and delicious side dish.

allrecipes

Quote:
A little salt sure makes everything taste better. But in Salt City (Syracuse, N. Y.) the only way to cook potatoes is with a lot of salt.

atk
0 Replies

glitterbag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 12:10 pm
I misread the title of this thread, thought it asked "do you sell your pasta water"? I couldn't wait to find out how many people sell "pasta water", now I'm depressed.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 12:30 pm
@glitterbag,

it's a bit of a supply | demand issue...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 12:52 pm
@glitterbag,
I got 10 gallons I'll sell ya. Don't let the cops know: it's hot. I mean it's really hot.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 12:16 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Absolutely, with kosher salt.

What's with kosher salt? I see it a lot in American recipes. What is the difference between kosher salt and table salt or cooking salt (or even rock salt)?
roger

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 03:02 am
@margo,
I'll help you wait for an answer.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 05:56 am
@margo,
Not counting the religious angle there are at least two good reasons. Kosher salt doesn't contain the anti-caking agents that table salt does. (Neither does "canning salt".) The other reason is the texture of the flakes but that's not an issue when adding salt to cooking water.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.isPJa912aEgnpAgVmIF0EwAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=f1f815df5df3817d87120865d4a12f9ef88589bdc88a4ddbb01901ec8b7e4b6f&ipo=images
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 07:00 am
@hightor,
We call it "natural salt".

There is only one commercial ladle factory left in Europe (about 80 miles from me). From there you can get natural salt quite cheaply - or you can get it "fresh" at local festivals in the many brine thermal baths (150 yards away is the nearest one) around here, or buy it at the shops there.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2023 05:33 pm
Thanks. I've never seen "kosher" salt in supermarkets here, but then, I live in an Asian / Italian area.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2023 05:34 pm
I've never seen "natural" or "un-natural" salt either.

Cooking salt, rather than table salt?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2023 05:36 am
I do put salt in, usually low sodium salt, and some olive oil to stop it sticking.

My posh salt is pink Himalayan salt that I keep in the grinder.
0 Replies