Can Religious Thought and Intellectual Honesty Coexist?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:47 am
real life wrote:
The dangerous folks, CI, are not those trying to save lives. The dangerous folks are those condoning the killing.

The truly dangerous folks...Life...are the people pretending they are trying to save lives...when in fact what they are doing is trying to take away a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
The dangerous folks, CI, are not those trying to save lives. The dangerous folks are those condoning the killing.

The truly dangerous folks...Life...are the people pretending they are trying to save lives...when in fact what they are doing is trying to take away a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.

The truly dangerous folks...Frank...are the people pretending they are for a woman's right to make decisions about her own body when it is actually the killing of a fetus.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The only comeback you have is the way I present my statements? You're not only a hypocrite, but a dangerous one in your attempt to control other people's lives.

You did not answer my question. Your only arguments are either insults or cutting and pasting a large amount of text so that the original question gets lost in the mix.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:26 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

The truly dangerous folks...Frank...are the people pretending they are for a woman's right to make decisions about her own body when it is actually the killing of a fetus.

Nope...as I said, the truly dangerous folks are the people pretending they are trying to save lives...when in fact what they are doing is trying to take away a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.

Almost as dangerous are the people who pretend that making a decision about one's own body is actually something other than "making a decision about one's own body."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 12:36 pm
These religious people play "save every life," but when it comes to action, they're nothing but lip service. They are dangerous hypocrites that can't explain the inconsistencies in the bible, nor their stance on right to life rhetoric. If their only and primary complaint is the way we present our challenge, they are a sorry excuse to humanity. They have the gall to talk about humility for which they have no comprehension of it's meaning.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:14 pm
Don't we have an abortion thread for all this?

Anyway...

georgeob1 wrote:
You are begging the question

Please explain.

georgeob1 wrote:
...and here base your comments on a different definition of reason than what was implicit in your earlier argument.

I did? I wish you'd quoted me, then I couldn't be accused of going back and editing...

In my first post I said:
djbt wrote:
Reason is a way of thinking, not an answer book.

And in my second:
djbt wrote:
I would say that reason, or rationality, is a way of thinking, a way of dealing with considerations, not a consideration in and of itself.

OK, so I added italics, but does this really seem like a different definition of reason? If so, please explain how.

georgeob1 wrote:
OK by me: nit picking is not my thing.

Oh, please, nit pick, I think that's the point of these forums.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 10:21 pm
Christians tend to call it "the teachings of Christ/Jesus," but the bible was written by many authors after the supposed death of Jesus. Since the old testament is really the Jewish Torah, how can it be "the teachings of Christ?"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 10:27 pm
From Phoenix's first post, "IMO, the rational, reasonable person uses his intellect to judge what is true and what is false."

That is the dilemma of religion. The "outside" observer sees too many contradictions not only in the teachings, but also in practice. I really don't understand how all my siblings are able to reconcile their belief while they practice discrimination against gays and lesbians.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
From Phoenix's first post, "IMO, the rational, reasonable person uses his intellect to judge what is true and what is false."

That is the dilemma of religion. The "outside" observer sees too many contradictions not only in the teachings, but also in practice. I really don't understand how all my siblings are able to reconcile their belief while they practice discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Hi CI,

One person's definition of what is and is not rational and reasonable is obviously going to differ from every other's. Talk about contradictions in theory and in practice.

The dilemma of atheism is that with each person deciding what he thinks is and isn't right, it's simply a paved road to anarchy. Instead of one God, you postulate six billion human gods covering the planet.

BTW is their attitude toward homosexuals any different than your prejudice against Christians?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 11:17 pm
Completely different analogy; I do not discriminate against anybody - including christians. I disagree with their belief system, and do not impose my beliefs on anybody. I only worry about what I do. I do not have six billion human gods. It seems christians are good at making statements about others on what they believe and do. What you call prejudice against christians is your opinion, and you are free to use that term. I call it bias based on what I deem to be truth and logic based on my subjective judgement.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:16 am
real life wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Hi CI,

One person's definition of what is and is not rational and reasonable is obviously going to differ from every other's. Talk about contradictions in theory and in practice.

The dilemma of atheism is that with each person deciding what he thinks is and isn't right, it's simply a paved road to anarchy. Instead of one God, you postulate six billion human gods covering the planet.

How on Earth can a Christian talk about any other discipline having the problem of individuals "deciding for themselves" what is and isn't right...when that is precisely one of the problems with Christianity.

At least the secularists don't pretend that there is one unified code of what is right and what is wrong...while the Christians do in the face of obvious evidence that it is not so for Christians.

Just take the Christians posting right here in A2K...one very, very small segment.

They cannot even come to uninimity about whether or not homosexual conduct is "good" or "bad"...whether slavery is "good" or "bad"...and who knows how many other issues.

Quote:
BTW is their attitude toward homosexuals any different than your prejudice against Christians?

Silly question.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:48 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
.......... What you call prejudice against christians is your opinion, and you are free to use that term. I call it bias .............

Glad to see we agree CI. Laughing
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:40 am
real life wrote:

This might just about be an argument, if there were no debate over the qualities/opinions of God.

In reality we have either six billion humans without gods, or six billion humans each with their own God. Unless God fancying making a timely appearance, looks like we're heading for anarchy anyway....

...except in generally non-religious secular states, like, say Britain, where we see to managing to avoid anarchy with relative ease.
0 Replies